Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: More than 5 threads, please

Unhappy More than 5 threads, please

I would like to make a suggestion to be allowed more than 5 threads a day, please. Either allow anyone to make as many threads as they want, or restrict it to a certain amount of posts unlocks more and more overtime. I understand the limit is to prevent spammers, but it also restricts the creativity and communication from the rest of us.

Thank you!

Credit goes to Be A Legend for this gorgeous signature! Thank you!!

Farm Level: 103
    Town Rep: 31
    Achievements: 148/150

Dairy Delights Owner/Founder

I didn’t even know there was a limit, but I don’t think I’ve created more than 10 new threads in the past year or so I’ve been active (registered a long time ago).

Anything that curbs spam is a good thing. I’m actually surprised there isn’t a minimum post count required to create a new thread at least in the Clash general where I tend to see the most spam posts (and now I know why it’s usually in waves of 5 threads).

The limit is set at 5 threads, which I believe also is enough.
    Note that also reports count against that limit (as they create threads on the mod side of the forums).

I am not sure how much creativity is limited by this, really .
    The unofficial forum here.
    Discord: Smirk, Supercell.

Quote Originally Posted by toofinedog View Post
    I didn’t even know there was a limit, but I don’t think I’ve created more than 10 new threads in the past year or so I’ve been active (registered a long time ago).

Anything that curbs spam is a good thing. I’m actually surprised there isn’t a minimum post count required to create a new thread at least in the Clash general where I tend to see the most spam posts (and now I know why it’s usually in waves of 5 threads).
    Curbing spam is a good thing, but I've never seen any other forum I've been apart of actually have a thread limit in a public forum. Especially a big community like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PaluEF View Post
    The limit is set at 5 threads, which I believe also is enough.
    Note that also reports count against that limit (as they create threads on the mod side of the forums).

I am not sure how much creativity is limited by this, really .
    The creativity would come from the creative section where people can post about stories they've made, videos, etc. For someone like me that loves to think and come up with ideas, 5 is not enough, especially on my favorite mobile game. I didn't know that reports count against the limit. That shouldn't be the case because if someone wants to make another thread, but see someone breaking the rules, it could discourage them from wanting to report the person. Reporting shouldn't count against the already small thread restrictions.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    On the Forum until the lights are turned off
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzerz View Post
    Curbing spam is a good thing...

...I didn't know that reports count against the limit. That shouldn't be the case because if someone wants to make another thread, but see someone breaking the rules, it could discourage them from wanting to report the person. Reporting shouldn't count against the already small thread restrictions.
    If the limit wasn't in place the forum would be overwhelmed with spam, as each spam bot would create numerous posts, rather than being restricted to 5. As it is, there are occasions when the front page of a subforum is predominantly spam from different users - until one of us cleans it up.

As to reports, they are greatly appreciated. However, it is sufficient to report just one spam post in a subforum. Many members do this, giving a message along the lines of "several spammers have posted in general" or similar. There is no need to report each and every post, or every single spammer. Doing that actually creates more work for the mods, as each report has to be dealt with separately.

Thank you to those who do report spam.
    Last edited by Cowslips; April 25th, 2021 at 05:40 AM.
    Come join the new unofficial Hay Day forum: https://justhayday.boards.net/

Me, I would reduce the number of threads you can make to one each day.

And maybe the spammers would stop using this forums :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowslips View Post
    If the limit wasn't in place the forum would be overwhelmed with spam, as each spam bot would create numerous posts, rather than being restricted to 5. As it is, there are occasions when the front page of a subforum is predominantly spam from different users - until one of us cleans it up.

As to reports, they are greatly appreciated. However, it is sufficient to report just one spam post in a subforum. Many members do this, giving a message along the lines of "several spammers have posted in general" or similar. There is no need to report each and every post, or every single spammer. Doing that actually creates more work for the mods, as each report has to be dealt with separately.

Thank you to those who do report spam.

Thank you for the insight. Would there be anyway to up the thread count by 5 more? Or at the very least make it so if you have over 500 posts in the forums you can post more than 5? Knowing reporting more than one thread of the same spammer gives the mods more work, I'll only report one of the threads from now on.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    On the Forum until the lights are turned off
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzerz View Post
    Thank you for the insight. Would there be anyway to up the thread count by 5 more? Or at the very least make it so if you have over 500 posts in the forums you can post more than 5? Knowing reporting more than one thread of the same spammer gives the mods more work, I'll only report one of the threads from now on.
    If we were to increase the limit to 10 it would double the amount of visible spam from those bots that produce multiple spam posts.

My experience is that very few forum members start new threads prolifically, so very few run up against the limit. On the odd occasions that they do, it's just a matter of waiting until the next day to post again. More often than not, members reply to existing threads rather than starting a new one.

Another aspect to consider is the quality of threads. If the limit was increased a member could start numerous threads with little content, which do not generate discussion and serve only to "clog up" the forum. By having a limit for everyone the balance of the forum is maintained.
    Come join the new unofficial Hay Day forum: https://justhayday.boards.net/

And it's tellin' me that things are not the same
    Fezzerz, welcome back to the forum .

Forum is one of the channel where people could go to for help, discussion or reporting an issue in-game. It doesn't seem reasonable to require them to have at least X amount of post before starting a thread when they need help. What would they post about anyway? And in practice, spammer would just reply in any thread they find if they cannot start a new thread. Their purpose is to publish a post, regardless in a new thread or not. In the end, only human member got penalties for being ...err... human .

5 threads per day could feel not enough, please understand it will just take longer for you to share all your ideas, and perhaps let people focus on the first wave of ideas before you share the next one.

To add to the above posts:
    Report a post only counts if you are the first one to report it (it creates a new thread as a report), subsequent reports appear as replies to that thread. My go to is to report the very first post of the spammer (tap on the name > View latest post > open oldest post > Report).

Before the limit of 5 threads per day, we had multiple times where spam threads were created in hundreds in a matter of minutes. It was not pretty, at all, even for the Mods to clean them while the attack was still going on.
    Last edited by meonhoc; April 25th, 2021 at 02:19 PM.
    Welcome to Community Forum - How to - Search & Save Threads /PM / VM
    My Guides (Valley/Derby): V Map - V Chicken - V Fuel station - V Lucky bonus | Mystery D - Bingo D

Quote Originally Posted by Cowslips View Post
    If we were to increase the limit to 10 it would double the amount of visible spam from those bots that produce multiple spam posts.

My experience is that very few forum members start new threads prolifically, so very few run up against the limit. On the odd occasions that they do, it's just a matter of waiting until the next day to post again. More often than not, members reply to existing threads rather than starting a new one.

Another aspect to consider is the quality of threads. If the limit was increased a member could start numerous threads with little content, which do not generate discussion and serve only to "clog up" the forum. By having a limit for everyone the balance of the forum is maintained.
    That's fair! I'll just make notes of any ideas I have and either will condense them into one thread from now on, or will wait until I can post again.

Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    Fezzerz, welcome back to the forum .

Forum is one of the channel where people could go to for help, discussion or reporting an issue in-game. It doesn't seem reasonable to require them to have at least X amount of post before starting a thread when they need help. What would they post about anyway? And in practice, spammer would just reply in any thread they find if they cannot start a new thread. Their purpose is to publish a post, regardless in a new thread or not. In the end, only human member got penalties for being ...err... human .

5 threads per day could feel not enough, please understand it will just take longer for you to share all your ideas, and perhaps let people focus on the first wave of ideas before you share the next one.

To add to the above posts:
    Report a post only counts if you are the first one to report it (it creates a new thread as a report), subsequent reports appear as replies to that thread. My go to is to report the very first post of the spammer (tap on the name > View latest post > open oldest post > Report).

Before the limit of 5 threads per day, we had multiple times where spam threads were created in hundreds in a matter of minutes. It was not pretty, at all, even for the Mods to clean them while the attack was still going on.
    Thank you meonhoc! It's been awhile lol. Life kinda happened as it always does As for the post requirement that was to post more than 5 threads in a day, not actually start a thread if they had a certain post count.

That's really interesting regarding the report system and how it works. That's what took me by surprise was that we have a limit now. When I was active before we didn't have a limit, but it makes sense. It seems like this last wave of spam that happened had more than 5 threads. Is that possible?