Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Don’t want clans to get jacked but ...

Don’t want clans to get jacked but ...

...is there any value to having clans get recycled? Under the current system, I think, once the system gets to the last coleader, it will have cycled through all coleaders and demoted them to member and the last coleader will be promoted to leader and then the system is stuck because there are no more coleaders to transfer leader role to. Then the clan is truly dead. Unless after a reasonably long period of time (maybe a year’s worth of holidays and vacations to allow the last leader to login), a button appears on the clan to “claim leader role”, at which point any member in the clan could claim the role. If the clan is set for “invite only” or “closed”, then after another reasonably long period, the clan setting is reset to “anyone can join” and the clan can be resurrected. Everything in Clash takes time, upgrades, resources, leveling up, why not allow clans to live on after a reasonable period of time.

Based on subsequent discussion, it appears that there is a problem with scammers selling clans on black market websites. This demonstrates that, yes, there is value in resurrecting inactive clans. Black markets fill voids in the marketplace left by artificial restrictions. Black markets are eliminated by removing the restrictions that created them. Supercell needs to find a way to reduce the harm to clashers who may become victims to scammers and to monetize that value for themselves.

My proposal is the following:
    (1) A “claim leader role” button appears on the clan tab 365 days after the last coleader is promoted to leader and has been inactive for 90 days.
    (2) If the clan was set for “invite only” or “closed”, then it will be reset to “anyone can join” after 730 days after the last coleader has been inactive for 90 days.
    (3) Any clan member in a clan set for “invite only” or “closed” can tap the “claim leader role” button and will become leader of the clan without a resurrection fee.
    (4) Any clan member in a clan that has been set to “anyone can join” can tap the “claim leader role” button and, after confirming willingness to pay the resurrection fee, will become leader of the clan.
    (5) The name of a resurrected clan cannot be changed because it is not new. This is to help previous members find their way home if they want.
    (6) The resurrection fee for a level 1 clan may be less than 40000 gold. The resurrection fee is exponentially higher for higher level clans, including combination of gold, elixir, dark elixir and gems or real money.

The benefits from my proposal:
    1. Not eradicate, but reduce black market
    2. Provide reasonably active clashers an in-game option to upgrade clans faster.
    3. Give clashers more time before their clan becomes dead from the current leader rotation process.
    4. Give clashers a way to resurrect their clan if it ends up stuck with an inactive leader account.
    5. Increase the chances that a long absent clasher will return to an active clan.
    6. Enhance clan community by allowing current active clashers to build upon what came before.
    7. Supercell can monetize an asset that is sitting on their servers costing little but doing nothing.
    Last edited by Deafkate; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 PM. Reason: Update for scams, add details on proposal, list benefits

But that is a way let clan get jacked. So, it's not needed.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    If the clan is dead enough that it has no active leaders/co-leaders/elders, then I don't see why any member would stay.

This would only mean clans would get taken over by outsiders coming in just for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    If the clan is dead enough that it has no active leaders/co-leaders/elders, then I don't see why any member would stay.

This would only mean clans would get taken over by outsiders coming in just for that purpose.
    And then people with truly bad intentions could sell those clans for real money, leading to potential scams and theft

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1027 View Post
    And then people with truly bad intentions could sell those clans for real money, leading to potential scams and theft
    If scammers selling clans is a real problem in Clash of Clans (I have not experienced it but it is amazing what they try to pull so I should not be surprised), then everything should be done to stop them, unfortunately even somethings that might give clans a second life.

The purpose being to reinvigorate the clan. By the time the system has reached the last coleader and promoted them to leader, none of the original founders are around to be hijacked (which is what I meant by jacked). By allowing so much time to pass, nobody is getting hijacked by then. But new blood can come into the clan.

Quote Originally Posted by darpan2704coc View Post
    But that is a way let clan get jacked. So, it's not needed.
    The proposed “claim leader role” button would appear no sooner than one year after the last coleader was made leader. If the clan was “closed” or “invite only”, it could be two years. That would be a long time of inactivity to make sure no one is getting hijacked but allow the clan a chance to move on to new management.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafkate View Post
    The purpose being to reinvigorate the clan. By the time the system has reached the last coleader and promoted them to leader, none of the original founders are around to be hijacked (which is what I meant by jacked). By allowing so much time to pass, nobody is getting hijacked by then. But new blood can come into the clan.
    What is the actual benefit of this suggestion?

What benefit is there to the game or the players in resurrecting a dead clan?

Quote Originally Posted by Deafkate View Post
    If scammers selling clans is a real problem in Clash of Clans (I have not experienced it but it is amazing what they try to pull so I should not be surprised), then everything should be done to stop them, unfortunately even somethings that might give clans a second life.
    Unfortunately the problem is very real. There are black market websites out there for buying and selling clans for real money which is a direct breach of Supercell's terms of service. Often times these websites lead to the potential buyer getting scammed. Buyer sends cash for an advertised clan, then the seller pockets the cash, removes the advertisement, and never gives the leadership to the buyer. It's an awful scam and I see no way to combat it. When one website gets taken down, another pops back up to replace it. There's only so much supercell can do to combat these black market websites. If you have a suggestion to completely prohibit real world trading then by all means please share, because otherwise your idea simply opens the door and makes it easier for would-be scammers to con people out of real money.

Imagine this scenario if your idea was implemented in game: I create 100 new accounts, park each one of them in a dead clan, wait 1 year without any clan activity, and now suddenly I'm the leader of 100 dead clans that I could go sell on black market websites. This can and will happen if they implemented your idea, so what can be done to prevent it? Because I honestly have no solution.
    Last edited by Phoenix1027; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:57 PM.

What is the actual benefit of this suggestion?

What benefit is there to the game or the players in resurrecting a dead clan?
    I think it adds to the life cycle and community aspects of Clash of Clans. I am not a heavy gamer in Clash, so I only have one account that I have lived with, through mistakes and different phases, sometimes rushing, sometimes upgrading every wall, sometimes farming, sometimes doing nothing. I think it might be neat to find a dead clan that has some history and resurrect it, instead of starting from scratch. Maybe some one who played a long time ago and gets back to Clash and looks up their old clan and finds it alive despite their absence, might find it cool that others took up the banner instead of finding it dead without any way of getting it back on track.

In addition, from the discussion here, it seems like scammers and black market selling of clans is a problem that needs to be changed. Black markets fill voids that the legitimate marketplace doesn’t. Here, Supercell says they own the clans and you can’t sell them, leaving a void the scammers are happy to exploit and apparently enough gullible people are happy to jump into. By charging for the “claim leader role” button on inactive clans, Supercell will (1) provide a legitimate marketplace to remove some incentives for gullible people to try black markets (2) chip away at scammers’ profit margins by charging for claiming leadership role and flooding the market with inactive clans and (3) monetize for themselves an asset that clearly has some value, but right now is just sitting there. By not enabling a way to resurrect inactive clans, Supercell is leaving value on the table and allowing scammers to take advantage of clashers.
    Last edited by Deafkate; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:51 AM. Reason: Add comments regarding black markets