Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spam,spam,spam

SPAM is an acronym, meaning Special Product Announcement Message. Well, more of a "back-ronym" from the early days of the internet, from the wonky IT-types that made up a majority of the internet at the time, and wanted a Monty Python reference. In the early days of the internet, some "innovator" (the word I'd prefer to use runs afoul of the forum rules) realized that email could be sent via a script (think primitive bot). By doing this, and collecting email addresses, one could easily broadcast messages in milliseconds to a very wide audience.

Now, of course this doesn't result in a great hit rate, but all it takes is one in a million to respond and buy something (or fall for your scam), and it more than makes up for the miniscule cost it took to broadcast that message everywhere. Because this was so easy to do, "spamming" became synonymous with broadcasting a message as widely as possible without regard to whether the recipients would be a good target for said message.

In that context, in clash of clans, there is a distinctive difference between someone throwing down troops without regard to where they are headed (as an example, dumping all your e-drags in the corner and following them with rage/freeze) verses deploying troops specifically at certain buildings to path a certain way (think a more surgical lalo). Under the pretext of what "spam" is, and how it the term has evolved, it seems unreasonable to me to call the latter spam, no matter how quickly the troops get deployed.

Of course, the more cynical side of me sees someone in the forums talking about spam, and assumes they mean an attack that the poster doesn't use (which is always "skilled") and that wrecks the same poster's base (which is always an excellent base and should not need to be changed) and is therefore ruining the game.

Given a "spam" attack is a term of art for clash and has taken on a negative meaning for most who use it, I think it is better to reserve "spam" for attacks that are just drop everything and pray without funnel, timing, etc. Using the term "mass" attack for the attacks that have a lot of one or two troops, but still require funnel, timing, etc. is better in my opinion.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzob View Post
    SPAM is an acronym, meaning Special Product Announcement Message. Well, more of a "back-ronym" from the early days of the internet, from the wonky IT-types that made up a majority of the internet at the time, and wanted a Monty Python reference. In the early days of the internet, some "innovator" (the word I'd prefer to use runs afoul of the forum rules) realized that email could be sent via a script (think primitive bot). By doing this, and collecting email addresses, one could easily broadcast messages in milliseconds to a very wide audience.

Now, of course this doesn't result in a great hit rate, but all it takes is one in a million to respond and buy something (or fall for your scam), and it more than makes up for the miniscule cost it took to broadcast that message everywhere. Because this was so easy to do, "spamming" became synonymous with broadcasting a message as widely as possible without regard to whether the recipients would be a good target for said message.

In that context, in clash of clans, there is a distinctive difference between someone throwing down troops without regard to where they are headed (as an example, dumping all your e-drags in the corner and following them with rage/freeze) verses deploying troops specifically at certain buildings to path a certain way (think a more surgical lalo). Under the pretext of what "spam" is, and how it the term has evolved, it seems unreasonable to me to call the latter spam, no matter how quickly the troops get deployed.

Of course, the more cynical side of me sees someone in the forums talking about spam, and assumes they mean an attack that the poster doesn't use (which is always "skilled") and that wrecks the same poster's base (which is always an excellent base and should not need to be changed) and is therefore ruining the game.
    I like my Special Product Announcement Messages dipped in batter and deep fried.. Yummy.

Millennial Club
    lol...this thread really took off with a debate about what is spam vs what is mass. The only thing I can see is that we will never agree as to which is which.

What is funny to me is people including fan based attacks as spam. With poor attackers...yes I would say it is. With good attackers...no I would say it is not. The question is how can you determine which is which? How do you know if they have analyzed the base and determined if I fan in this particular pattern, it will hit these defenses in this order naturally forming a funnel to direct my loons this direction with my super minions following? (yes, I love this attack, but use 2 edrags, and heros/SB to create funnels or target specific defenses...cause it ends with bats!!!.....cheapest, funnest farming/war comp right now).

What about doing an AQ walk and then pressing your finger in one spot for all your bowlers or hogs or miners? Is that spam or is that mass.

Frankly there are too many variables in order to determine which attack is "spam" vs which attack is "mass". Ideally the argument should be as to whether or not it helps/hurts the game. I would say at this point....it is balanced. If you set your Def to stop "spam/mass" you will get 3d by staged. If you set it to stop staged then you will get 3d by "spam/mass".
    Last edited by pb913; February 25th, 2021 at 10:45 PM.

floating in the Black Forest CoC - Sphere
    The term SPAM comes from the advertising of a butcher's shop for a sausage consisting of Chopped Pork & Ham, which was given to each customer as a sample, whether he wanted it or not. It was only later that the "serious" definition "Special Product Announcement Message" was invented for it. PS: You can still buy SPAM sausage today (Amazon)!

The simple word "Spam" is just more convenient to use than giving a 10000 character long explanation of what exactly falls under that category.

I'm pretty sure everyone, or at least most of you know which type of attacks the op is talking about.
    Generally it's simple attacks that don't require too much planning and usually the majority of the troops get dumped within the first minute. Strategies like Super witches, mass edrags, or the 8 quake Log launcher thing.

In my environment the word spam is used frequently, even when describing our own attacks. There is nothing wrong in using "spam" strategies, if it works for you.
    Spam doesn't mean that there is no skill involved. I recognize when someone put some thought into their attack and when someone doesn't.

Anyways, this discussion about the one true definition of spam is completely missing the topic.

The question is if "spam" attacks are becoming too strong.
    Because they have much less risks and are easy to execute. And with the offense clearly getting much easier since last year, it is not required to do complex high risk/high reward strategies to consistently triple anymore.

In other words when doing complex attacks, you still have the high risk but the high reward isn't really there. As you can most likely achieve the same result with a much simpler attack.
    So unless you are one of the Top 1%, who are confident enough to pull off a complicated attack without mistakes, there is no reason to play anything other than spam.

Imo a game should encourage you to improve yourself and get creative. And reward those that do so with better results.

SC seems to see that differently than me though, which is fine I guess. Whatever keeps the masses p(l)aying.

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Okier View Post
    The term SPAM comes from the advertising of a butcher's shop for a sausage consisting of Chopped Pork & Ham, which was given to each customer as a sample, whether he wanted it or not. It was only later that the "serious" definition "Special Product Announcement Message" was invented for it. PS: You can still buy SPAM sausage today (Amazon)!
    You can buy SPAM in pretty much any US grocery store.
    Last edited by Tollboothwillie; February 26th, 2021 at 12:05 PM.

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    I like my Special Product Announcement Messages dipped in batter and deep fried.. Yummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollboothwillie View Post
    You can buy SPAM in pretty much any US grocery store.
    Plain ole fried is good too. Makes for a good sandwich. Cheap meat, so big families with only one working parent can get enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenz98 View Post
    The question is if "spam" attacks are becoming too strong.
    Because they have much less risks and are easy to execute. And with the offense clearly getting much easier since last year, it is not required to do complex high risk/high reward strategies to consistently triple anymore.

In other words when doing complex attacks, you still have the high risk but the high reward isn't really there. As you can most likely achieve the same result with a much simpler attack.
    So unless you are one of the Top 1%, who are confident enough to pull off a complicated attack without mistakes, there is no reason to play anything other than spam.

Imo a game should encourage you to improve yourself and get creative. And reward those that do so with better results.

SC seems to see that differently than me though, which is fine I guess. Whatever keeps the masses p(l)aying.
    This. Exactly.

I have come to the conclusion that offense had to be made easier by SC because of a addition of base links. After that almost all attacks at least in wars and legends is done against bases made by pro builders. No one makes their own base. So you are a casual attacker but pro base builder all the time. To compensate that offense must be favoured so that even casuals can crush (pro) bases.

Sitting near a fire with some Barbarians and Valkyries(\/alhalla)
    So, there's the term "mass" and "spam" in video games. Everyone understands the difference between them but I'll reiterate:

Mass refers to many of one particular troop.

Spam refers to simply dropping all your troops down within the first ten to thirty seconds of a raid, but does not necessarily mean that there isn't a mass quantity of one troop.

I think for the average and below average players, I'll use the term spam, because that is what I see.

For example, I have a TH13 in my clan. He's garbage at the game and knows very little in-depth analysis of the game's mechanics.

His go-to army consisted of 3 Golems, 2 Ice Golems, 4 healers, and the rest would be a stupid amount of Witches and Bowlers. His spell selections would consist of at least 8 EQs and maybe a couple rages.

His attack method is to just send in everything in one spot without giving any real thought of funneling or troop pathing. No plan, no control, just drop everything in. He doesn't even use his golems or ice golems to protect his Wall Wrecker against a single IT, he just sends it right into single ITs.

Guess what? He still triples sometimes, and is in Legends. Stupid, I know. But, some people are right in here in the sense that A LOT of people don't make their own bases, so a lot of people use the same, bad bases.

This player actually changed his go-to army to consist of everything I just mentioned, but substituting Ice Wizards in place of Bowlers. His 3 star rate increased even more.

Here is the issue. Even with a brain-dead stupid methods of deployment, players still get over 50% consistently and it's nearly impossible to actually defend with the current star system. Anybody can get stars, and it's so bad that players who literally spam all their units down in one spot can just get easy stars.

I should almost recommend the devs to consider the idea of anything being less than a 60% 2 star to be a fail in the literal attack, as in you lose trophies if you don't get at least 60% AND at least 2 stars. It's really funny seeing my TH13 clan member be able to stay in legends with such awful deployment and zero strategy.

So, in the first twenty seconds, he has nothing else but a few rages to drop
    Last edited by jaronhudson15; February 26th, 2021 at 07:55 PM.