Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Why do so many structures and decos look shabby or damaged?

Why do so many structures and decos look shabby or damaged?

I donít understand why the designers have deliberately created so many buildings, decorations, and other things that look poorly made and/or in need of repair. The game is full of things that are cracked, chipped, uneven, misaligned, etc.

The latest example is the Valentineís Day bench thatís the prize in the global helping event. Why would they create an otherwise beautiful decoration with cracks all over the seat and back?

I know this probably sounds like a silly question to be asking, but this is clearly a deliberate decision the designers have made, and theyíve been very consistent about keeping up the shabby look when they create new buildings, decos, etc. To me it makes the graphics less appealing, but mostly I just wonder why the designers chose to create the appearance of poor workmanship and things that have been damaged.

Really?

Nothing is ever perfect and I find the decorations have been made with great attention to detail.

Life is full of cracks and imperfections. Embrace them all. Buy the dented can of fruit. It all good inside

Quote Originally Posted by WussyPuss View Post
    Really?

Nothing is ever perfect and I find the decorations have been made with great attention to detail.

Life is full of cracks and imperfections. Embrace them all. Buy the dented can of fruit. It all good inside
    Thanks for your response, Wussy. I agree that the decos are made with great attention to detail. I just don’t understand the choices about some of the details.

Of course I realize that life is full of cracks and imperfections, and I know the saying about how the cracks are where the light comes in. But most of us don’t want our homes (or farms) built with cracked boards, and most of us don’t go shopping for decorative objects that are cracked or chipped (unless we’re buying antiques or want a “shabby chic” look).

On the other hand, I’ve seen many imperfections that I consider beautiful—in people, in life, and in art. But the types of imperfections I’m talking about on Hay Day don’t look appealing to me. It doesn’t make sense to me that the designers would deliberately create unappealing structures and decos, so maybe it’s just a matter of my taste being different from theirs.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    I guess just like with art itís a matter of taste.

If they suddenly start making those minimalistic perfect crisp straight lined designs which are currently fashionable then I think it would feel very out of place. Things just have to fit.

Personally I like the current atmosphere and the rustic designs but I get that some might have different tastes.

Just like art. Some paintings are landscapes and some are realistic and then thereís those who paint some colored blocks on a canvas and suddenly itís art. For example victory boogy woogy comes to mind. (Itís the name of a painting) Some day itís art, I donít see it.

But hey it makes life interesting.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    I guess just like with art itís a matter of taste.

If they suddenly start making those minimalistic perfect crisp straight lined designs which are currently fashionable then I think it would feel very out of place. Things just have to fit.

Personally I like the current atmosphere and the rustic designs but I get that some might have different tastes.

Just like art. Some paintings are landscapes and some are realistic and then thereís those who paint some colored blocks on a canvas and suddenly itís art. For example victory boogy woogy comes to mind. (Itís the name of a painting) Some day itís art, I donít see it.

But hey it makes life interesting.
    Thanks for your response, Kaptain Kat. I agree that it's a matter of taste. And just to be clear, I think Hay Day's graphics are gorgeous overall, and I think the artists are amazingly talented.

For what it's worth, I'm not talking about "minimalistic perfect crisp straight lined designs." I sometimes love a rustic look, whether in life or in art, and I think a casual, natural look is perfect for Hay Day. But to my taste, the deliberately flawed look on Hay Day is sometimes overdone and ends up looking exaggerated, like a caricature. For example, the new Valentine's Day bench has some subtle flaws that look natural to me, but I don't think that the big cracks add to the charm. (I'll try to add a photo below.)

But as you said, different opinions make life interesting.

To me that’s what the decos makes perfect ... at the end since nothing in life is perfect. I really like that they use this kind of „Style“

Lurking somewhere. Why canít we smirk in here?
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvHayDay View Post
    Thanks for your response, Kaptain Kat. I agree that it's a matter of taste. And just to be clear, I think Hay Day's graphics are gorgeous overall, and I think the artists are amazingly talented.

For what it's worth, I'm not talking about "minimalistic perfect crisp straight lined designs." I sometimes love a rustic look, whether in life or in art, and I think a casual, natural look is perfect for Hay Day. But to my taste, the deliberately flawed look on Hay Day is sometimes overdone and ends up looking exaggerated, like a caricature. For example, the new Valentine's Day bench has some subtle flaws that look natural to me, but I don't think that the big cracks add to the charm. (I'll try to add a photo below.)

But as you said, different opinions make life interesting.

I’m not sure.

I like the “rustic” designs, too, and to be overgrown with flowers, the bench isn’t likely often used, haha.

But seeing this enlarged helps me understand what you’re talking about, I think. (?)

It’s a bit exaggerated here. In real life, if there are cracks in wood, it seems to usually be along the grain. Some of these cracks go in multiple directions—the big “lightning-strike” one on the seat, for example. A painted wooden object that is flaking (if that’s what those oddly-shaped patches are), doesn’t usually look like that, in my experience.

Maybe if it were more subtle it wouldn't be noticed at all given the size of the object in-game? Idk.

Thanks TerM!

Got kinda worried snooks might be gf, but seems there's no gf in the set-up so she is absolutely confirmed.
    -Ninja

LOL I love the time and weathered effects on the deco. It makes it feel more realistic. When the deco is too new like some of the machines in appearance it clashes and to me doesnít feel used.
    Last edited by Ranger; February 14th, 2021 at 04:39 AM.