Thread: Are the CWL pools somewhat balanced ?

Are the CWL pools somewhat balanced ?

I know that CWL adversaries are purely chosen by the league we're in. But, something un-nice is happening:
    - CWL before last, we got promoted. Rather by surprise, I was not shooting for it, not expecting it...
    - Last CWL we got trashed, with 13/15 the same players, certainly the same TH level or a tad higher. We got back down.
    - This CWL, we're head and shoulders above the rest, currently trashing our #2, 40 pts lead with #3 left to tackle then 2 further down (that seem to have 3-4 AFKs). I'm already confident we'll move up (famous last words).

Hence my question: from the pool of clans in the same League, are groups of 8 chosen purely at random or is there an effort to balance things a bit ? Neither getting hopelessly trashed nor sleepwalking through it are very fun...
    Last edited by obarthelemy; February 6th, 2021 at 02:18 AM.

Purely from what I've seen, I see no evidence of any group balancing. Pure luck of the draw. One month we'll be just shy of promotion, next fighting to avoid demotion. We spent several months in crystal 1 then promoted to m3. We've been there a while finishing anywhere from 6 to 2. Aside from one epic whooping when we were so outclassed, avoiding demotion wasn't possible. Then cruised through a month of crystal 1 again without breaking a sweat. No one in that group had a chance against us. So, imo, just random. Sometimes you are the windshield, others the bug.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

It's all random. Like in champions 2, because champions 1 demotes 3 clans every season, you may get super unlucky and match up with multiple champions 1 caliber clans. Then that champions 2 group becomes a brutal massacre and a mini champions 1 where everybody averages 36+ stars per star and someone still manages to get demoted despite averaging 6+ 3 stars per war on max TH13 meta bases. Alternatively, sometimes you might have a weaker champions 2 group where 1st place can squeak by and get the promotion despite only getting 270-280 stars total.

Purely random it is. At least that is how I understand it. I have two of my minis in a clan that is in GolD 3 for CWL. Total wild west. we have th11 - th9 5/5/5 roster, current opponents end at th10 and have some th 12 and one th13 at the top. Yestarday was about the same. Before that an even match up. You never know what comes up next down at Gold .
    Last edited by Grimbolg; February 6th, 2021 at 06:07 AM.

Millennial Club
    Yes, it is random.

The biggest discrepencies are the crystal 1/master 3 yo-yo, the m1/champs 3 yo-yo and the champs 3/champs 2 yo-yo, where the clans the get demoted one month tend to dominate the next month.

I can't really speak for most leagues as I've not been in a clan in those leagues in awhile.

Millennial Club
    Still searching for the hog rider in BB...
    I agree: random.

We yo-yo between crystal 2 and 3, with most time spent at 3. I've noticed the same imbalance within the league, one month can be much easier than the next. I think we were even forced down to Gold 1 one month, but bounced straight back up.

Considering that there was a lot of discussion at the beginning about how long it would take for clans to reach there balance point, I would say it is not bad. There will always some movement (half the clans in the middle leagues) so it will never be static. But unless there are major changes within the clan it is about what I would expect.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper" T S Eliot
    Quote Originally Posted by BWBX View Post
    I agree: random.

We yo-yo between crystal 2 and 3, with most time spent at 3. I've noticed the same imbalance within the league, one month can be much easier than the next. I think we were even forced down to Gold 1 one month, but bounced straight back ....
    Also agree, is random.

Will add that the yo-yo effect should be expected as opposed to of concern to players. For each tier, we should expect some distribution curve to form over time, with overlapping. So for example, a clan in the upper 10% of Tier-n overlaps (has same profile) as the lower 10% of Tier n+1. I call these clans "Cusp Clans". So they bounce back and forth. They are stronger than the norm for the lower tier, yet much weaker than the norm for the higher tier.
    Last edited by rowman; February 6th, 2021 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyla View Post
    It's all random. Like in champions 2, because champions 1 demotes 3 clans every season, you may get super unlucky and match up with multiple champions 1 caliber clans. Then that champions 2 group becomes a brutal massacre and a mini champions 1 where everybody averages 36+ stars per star and someone still manages to get demoted despite averaging 6+ 3 stars per war on max TH13 meta bases. Alternatively, sometimes you might have a weaker champions 2 group where 1st place can squeak by and get the promotion despite only getting 270-280 stars total.
    Agree with this.
    We have had this exerience in Chams 2 and Champs 1 one as well. Where the group was full of World Championship clans and even clan averaging 37+ was demoted.
    One way to stop this would be to have some form of seeding of Clans in CWL . But that would increase the search times by a lot and it may create more problems than it would solve.

Great minds think alike,but fools seldom differ.

Youtube : Rak Gaming CoC
    Twitter : @Rak_coc
    Discord: Rak#2304

Quote Originally Posted by obarthelemy View Post
    I know that CWL adversaries are purely chosen by the league we're in. But, something un-nice is happening:
    - CWL before last, we got promoted. Rather by surprise, I was not shooting for it, not expecting it...
    - Last CWL we got trashed, with 13/15 the same players, certainly the same TH level or a tad higher. We got back down.
    - This CWL, we're head and shoulders above the rest, currently trashing our #2, 40 pts lead with #3 left to tackle then 2 further down (that seem to have 3-4 AFKs). I'm already confident we'll move up (famous last words).

Hence my question: from the pool of clans in the same League, are groups of 8 chosen purely at random or is there an effort to balance things a bit ? Neither getting hopelessly trashed nor sleepwalking through it are very fun...
    You should probably not underestimate the possibility, that upgrades your clan has done over the course of two months play a significant role in climbing the ladder. You've probably added 6-10k worth of defense for starters. Probably also around 10-20 hero levels etc.
    Just finished CWL? Post your data here:

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...ght-compendium

It is random as others have said and there is a big power gap between tiers. It would help if we had more tiers. I suspect titans is coming to CWL with th14 or soon after. I’d rather it come right now, but I think they will wait until after th14.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.