Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Recruitment Tool Discussion Thread

One thing I keep hearing from people over and over again is that the tool should have a language filter. I don't want to make excuses for SC, but what would that even look like?? Some people can speak upwards of dozens of languages fluently. Most people in Europe speak at least 3-4.

How would you know if someone spoke your language without actually directly communicating with them?? Region does not equal language as even in the community I live in here in Canada, English is not the first language of a very large portion of the population. (I myself am fluent in English and French and can speak a bit of German) Many of them can speak English fluently, meanwhile others are still developing their skills. I just don't see how we can expect a recruitment tool to actually be able to determine who speaks what language, unless people are forced to self-declare.

This is why I think a player description box would be much more effective. That way people can lay out exactly what they want in a clan and help people find a better match.

Ultimately I don't think the recruitment tool works well, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think it's people's expectations that are even more flawed.
    Signature provided by Terminus Prime

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Cersei80 View Post
    I don't use the recruitment tool as it simply doesn't work
    This is what I am trying to address with this thread. When you say "it simply doesn't work" what do you mean? What isn't working?
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Language MUST match, other parameters are negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    1. The machine learning system does. And when it can't find anyone from your region it automatically expands outwards from there.
    Actually, the language of the player is the most important parameter. Ignoring this parameter ("automatically expands") is a very bad idea.
    It would be much better to display a message like "No match in your region". If I see this, I know that I have to change other search restrictions.

1. Which languages should we include? All 6500 languages from around the globe? If we just included supported game languages, should we list every of the thousands of dialects? What about Clans that speak multiple languages? What if the Clan speaks a language that isn't one of the supported ones?
    I see that there are languages not supported by the game, so a language match is not always possible.
    Still, some languages ARE supported by the game. What about a checkbox "find only players with matching language"? If the game supports the language, this will work very well. If not, the current region matching algorithm can be used.

As mentioned, the language of the player is the most important parameter. I can live with a th10 player (even if we currently only accept th11-13 players).
    I cannot accept a player not speaking our Clan language. It must be possible to talk.

~ Sukram

P.S.: There are still players with full inbox. Please exclude them from the search result. I cannot invite them.

Fresh Spawn
    This is what I am trying to address with this thread. When you say "it simply doesn't work" what do you mean? What isn't working?
    I mean I can never find anything im looking for eg English speaking adults,you can't tell that from the names,th lvl and clan they are in,most of all you can't tell if they will fit in personality wise,this for me and my clan is important

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Cersei80 View Post
    I mean I can never find anything im looking for eg English speaking adults,you can't tell that from the names,th lvl and clan they are in,most of all you can't tell if they will fit in personality wise,this for me and my clan is important
    So if I'm summarizing correctly, you wish there was a way to pre-screen potential Clanmates before the invitation is sent.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Forum Elder
    Did you read what I had posted regarding the Clanless thing earlier?
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post12750427

We agree with this, but what I am looking for are specifics on what you feel needs to be improved. To bluntly say it, saying "needs lots of improvement" doesn't really give us much to go on.

Before anyone replies with, "we shouldn't have to tell you how to do your jobs, you guys are the devs," one of the big things we're struggling with is understanding where there is a disconnect in expectations and what we can do to bridge that disconnect. That can only come through conversation, so providing us with specific details arms us with better information that we can either communicate more clearly or give us actionable material where we can make improvements.
    I appreciate SCs interest in setting realistic expectations Darian but let me demonstrate how even having transparency and appropriate expectations is not workable.

I spent 2 hours yesterday on two separate searches. We are an almost full clan level 21. Well over 30 of our members are TH13 with a smattering below that level. We are looking for more 13s and yes, I know that 13s are much more rare than lowers so no need to change any expectations there.

After the first search I learned that the green flag will bring up anyone who has that flag set. I readjusted my expectations and did a second search. I went through the list and came up with 36 13s. Fair enough. Out of the 36, all but 6 were either Leader or CO or not in an English clan. Knowing that a green flag is more of a default, I adjusted my expectations and believe that those 30 were likely not really interested and didnt send any invites to them. Of the 6 remaining, 3 were elders and 3 were members. Great, I can send out 6 invites..perhaps. Only problem with that is that I havent checked their stats at all and never looked at their bases/development. Again, I understand that development is not the same for everyone and I have no idea if they were/are active of even close to a decent fit. There will be some of course who would suggest just sending the invites anyways regardless.

Here is where more expectations need to be set. WE all know that successful recruiting involves a high failure rate. Even with global you had to invite and vette dozens before you found a keeper. Nothing has changed there. So using my example, I would have to spend at least 4-6 hours in the tool to send out 2 dozen invites and that is without any vetting whatsoever. My expectation is that an even higher failure rate would ensue and I may have to spend even more time on the tool to be successful. From a ROI perspective the value just isnt there and SC needs to understand and set their own expectations in line with the user community.

If it is too much work for so little return, your playerbase wont do it and that is really how the tool fails for me.

As a solution, in my example, 30 of 36 were leaders or Co-leaders. I dont know how, but if something could be done to remove them from the list, I might see 36 that were actially inviteable .that alone would change my search from 2 hours to get 6 into 2 hours to get 36 candidates. That puts the ROI into a decent level of reasonableness.

Without trying to be too snarky, I may understand a wheelbarrow and how it works and its limitations completely, that does not mean it makes a good zeppelin simply because the owner of the barrow says it will be. My understanding and expectations may not be the entire problem.
    Last edited by Tosti111; January 28th, 2021 at 04:25 PM.
    OP Defense: Any defense the poster doest’t like or know how to work around, nullifies their attack or denies them their rightful three star.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    . My clan is slowly declining ever since the tool was implemented. We’ve been around since 2014. It used to be stable for years. Stable in sense of active and numbers of players.
    I have to agree with Kat's sentiment. I don't think we've managed to recruit anybody since inception. While we tried from the get go, i think most of our senior clan members have given up trying to recruit. It's certainly never discussed.

Too much work and effort, for little or no reward.
    As discussed already, the language of communication is a big factor. While i'm sure we'd all love to live in a Clash Utopia of all inclusiveness, it just doesn't have any legs in reality!

We've given up on it.
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 18 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...10-s-to-TH12-s My Spec : Max TH12.

In reference to language I would like to add I would like to see the filter In the preferred language of choice by the clan in order to communicate with each other example most all my clan speaks English When people from China or India ask to join we let them in and then there requests are in their dialect how as clan are suppose to understand ? This is why our clan would
    Prefer a language filter.I hope this makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mayankkumar View Post
    As far as I know the game knows our location from the clan's location we are in like if I am in a German clan I would be getting german leaderboard.
    Your own location is not determined by your clan's location.

Quote Originally Posted by Chusker View Post
    My problem with the recruitment tool is the large amount of inactive accounts that are returned in a search. .....I just did a search with no tags selected, and of the players returned on the list 32 were not active
    By searching for players who never set their tags, you've skewed the results to include all of the inactive players that never even knew that was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I suspect this may be part of the issue. When this was set up, everybody defaulted to Green on the "accept Invites" button, and many have probably just never changed that even though they have no intention of moving clan.

Would it be worthwhile having that change back to red automatically after a certain time, or maybe a pop up asking if the player really still wants to accept invites?
    Regularly, I think, like every season. I think a lot of complaints of getting no results from the invites is because the clan doing the inviting is not the invited player's best option. There are too many clans and too many people overestimate who would want to be in their clan. That said, I also think it is problematic that the results are filled with people that have no real interest in leaving their clan.

Quote Originally Posted by LVinci View Post
    1. (and foremost and not new) Language.
    Language is too problematic for reasons Darian and others have explained. Location is better.

Let's say I'm an Estonian player. Estonian isn't one of the supported game languages. But I don't speak English and my Russian is passable at best, but I don't want to be in a Russian Clan. So now I can't search for players who speak Estonian.

Seems like an awfully crappy "so be it".
    Players can search for clans based on location. It seems it would be good if clans can search for players based on location as an option. They shouldn't be forced to have such a filter, but as an option there is little downside.

I do think it has improved. I see more USA and UK results now (those are the two countries represented by my clan) than in the past. I still see a lot that are in non-english speaking clans, though, which is a bit confusing.
    Last edited by 2222; January 28th, 2021 at 04:58 PM.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

A big problem is expectations. There are certain things that an impersonal list of players cannot replicate. Even if the language issue is solved (see SumoSloth's point above), you still have no sense of whether a potential clanmate (a) will read clan mail or chat to follow a war plan, (b) is active enough to make war attacks, or (c) will contribute to the clan in a meaningful way. We're all looking for a shortcut to get to the solid, active players, and even if they were easy to find in the tool, you're fighting a supply/demand issue.

In the world of global chat, there were some people that were very good at recruiting. This is a skillset that requires the ability to sift through the majority of trolls and lonely gentlemen to find the quality players, and then persuading them to join their clan. This is a skillset I never had the patience for - I found global to be a cesspool, personally. But for those who possess this ability, they had a big leg up on everyone else. Now, with the recruiting tool replacing it, this is no longer a useful skill (at least in the game, there are still out-of-game avenues to exploit this skillset). Everyone is on the same level, and all you have to compete with is your clan profile page.

Clash of Stats: #L8CCQ8UJ | #PP0R9VGJR
    Thanks to TerMinus Prime for the awesome sig/avatar!
    Forum Titles | About Reputation | Reputation Dots | Images | War Base Order