Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Recruitment Tool Discussion Thread

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #221
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickV View Post
    Of course I do know. "Put on top" is what I said, and if let's say on position 20 there is a Spanish-speaking person for sure then the top 19 MUST be Spanish as well for my statement to be fulfilled. Now suppose for a moment that I'm wrong and that person doesn't use Spanish either, then the list would only be longer, but all the top positions will always be in my language. If the first one isn't then there can't be any in the result to match my statement.
    "Taking into consideration" has very little to do with my request (to put on top). Anyone trying to argument that all 19 Arabic, English, and Chinese people use Spanish as their interface language is just wasting everybody's time.

I really don't get the point of discussing gravity exists. Something that can be observed repeatedly is a fact.
    Fair enough. I misread "put on top" as meaning "prioritise". Not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    He doesn't.

He can have evidence he believes tends to indicate that, but he can't know they don't, particularly since Darian has said they do take language into consideration.
    I have similar evidence. I know Darian has described in the past that the tool is supposed to "learn" our language preference by the language spoken in chat and maybe other things (I can't remember), but it doesn't seem to work. You'd think a clan that is almost all USA players that speaks only English in the chat would easily find a list of players from the USA and/or at a minimum with names I can read, but instead I get a list that is full of obviously not English-first speaking players, players in clans that don't use English primary, and not even players with the same tags I selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ult1 View Post
    Are you sure about that? My clan settings are set to receive th11 and up, however, my searches are showing th8 and up.
    I think this was in response to me? Yes, I'm sure, but note that it doesn't happen instantly. If I adjust our clan settings for th9 and up, then I start seeing th9 and up results when I search. If I change it to th12 and up, I see th12 and up when I search. I haven't changed it lately, but as I recall before it took hours, maybe even the next day, before it changed.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but a 2nd clan chat tab where you can talk to anyone that accepts an invite would be useful. After chatting they could then be accepted to the clan. This tab could show invites sent (and by whom) and allows you to chat to the new prospect without filling up the regular clan chat. As it's just a separate channel for the clan chat there are no problems like with global.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHearty View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already but a 2nd clan chat tab where you can talk to anyone that accepts an invite would be useful. After chatting they could then be accepted to the clan. This tab could show invites sent (and by whom) and allows you to chat to the new prospect without filling up the regular clan chat. As it's just a separate channel for the clan chat there are no problems like with global.
    Oooh I like this one.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

After watching the Judo Sloth interview, I will say that I was quite discouraged. Having participated actively in this thread, I thought that it was clear that the most important improvement needed was to be able to filter by language. I get that this is a slippery slope, and it would be "hard." I deal with both complicated and complex problems every day in my job. This is one that can be solved. Darian seemed to waive on it and basically say that it would be too hard due to the many possible languages involved. Then immediately said that the machine learning scans our chat, identifies the languages used there and gives us recommendations based upon the perceived languages that the system believes have been used in chat. Short answer to this, if the machine is categorizing based upon a list of languages, give us that list and let us choose one or more from that same list.

A deeper answer is that there is absolutely no way that I want my recommendations to be based on what languages the machine may believe was used in my chat. As are most English speaking clans, our clan requires English in chat. However, we do allow and appreciate international members. If a member from Italy quickly greets another IRL friend/member from Italy in Italian, that is not an invitation to the machine to recommend Italian players. Worse yet, if an Indian member posts a request for troops and uses the pictures, but has a generic request message in Hindi, that is certainly not an invitation to receive recommendations from all Indian players. If that methodology remains, I will change our clan to US East Coast only and kick anyone that ever posts in any other language. That would be a shame because bringing in international members had been a benefit, now I know it is a curse and it is why we are not getting the type of player recommendations we were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince1999 View Post
    After watching the Judo Sloth interview, I will say that I was quite discouraged. Having participated actively in this thread, I thought that it was clear that the most important improvement needed was to be able to filter by language. I get that this is a slippery slope, and it would be "hard." I deal with both complicated and complex problems every day in my job. This is one that can be solved. Darian seemed to waive on it and basically say that it would be too hard due to the many possible languages involved. Then immediately said that the machine learning scans our chat, identifies the languages used there and gives us recommendations based upon the perceived languages that the system believes have been used in chat. Short answer to this, if the machine is categorizing based upon a list of languages, give us that list and let us choose one or more from that same list.

A deeper answer is that there is absolutely no way that I want my recommendations to be based on what languages the machine may believe was used in my chat. As are most English speaking clans, our clan requires English in chat. However, we do allow and appreciate international members. If a member from Italy quickly greets another IRL friend/member from Italy in Italian, that is not an invitation to the machine to recommend Italian players. Worse yet, if an Indian member posts a request for troops and uses the pictures, but has a generic request message in Hindi, that is certainly not an invitation to receive recommendations from all Indian players. If that methodology remains, I will change our clan to US East Coast only and kick anyone that ever posts in any other language. That would be a shame because bringing in international members had been a benefit, now I know it is a curse and it is why we are not getting the type of player recommendations we were looking for.
    It doesn't have to be by language. A filter by location would be almost as good. The scanning of chat language doesn't work well anyway.

Oy, a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    I have similar evidence. I know Darian has described in the past that the tool is supposed to "learn" our language preference by the language spoken in chat and maybe other things (I can't remember), but it doesn't seem to work. You'd think a clan that is almost all USA players that speaks only English in the chat would easily find a list of players from the USA and/or at a minimum with names I can read, but instead I get a list that is full of obviously not English-first speaking players, players in clans that don't use English primary, and not even players with the same tags I selected.
    Do you think that means if we in my mostly American, all-English speaking clan, when we use a foreign language expression like “gracias” or “oy vey”, we increase our chances of pulling recruitment results of Spanish-speaking players and Yiddish-speaking players, respectively? And if so, that would mean clans that only want English speakers could “ban” foreign words from their clan to narrow their recruitment searches, and a clan that uses a language not supported by the game, such as Estonian, could increase their chance to find other similar-speaking players by using their preferred language more frequently? What then, I wonder, is the basis by which a player not in a clan is able to be found in such a search narrowed by the use of a language, especially an unsupported language?
    Last edited by toofinedog; 4 Hours Ago at 04:01 AM. Reason: I put my reason for editing as a title.��

This whole thing of 'the AI/machine learning thing' is 'checking/learning' the language already used in chat anda such simply either isn't true or they might actually think it's working but it definitely isn't. After over a year of checking and proof, that much is clear.

They can keep on saying it out loud hoping it will become truth, but it simply isn't. Even the TH level option, which is one of the most simple things, isn't working...

It really feels like we're just being told the same over and over again with them hoping we'll start believing it is true. Huge letdown.