Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Recruitment Tool Discussion Thread

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #241
    Quote Originally Posted by ziya645 View Post
    I didn't know, where?
    On "My Profile" (which you get to by clicking on the blue XP number, top left) there is a button labeled "Clan Invites". If it is green, you are accepting invitations, if it is red you aren't. Click on it to toggle the status - it does ask for confirmation.

I believe it defaults to green. It would probably help if that were red by default (and maybe even reset to red automatically after being green for a certain period)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    On "My Profile" (which you get to by clicking on the blue XP number, top left) there is a button labeled "Clan Invites". If it is green, you are accepting invitations, if it is red you aren't. Click on it to toggle the status - it does ask for confirmation.

I believe it defaults to green. It would probably help if that were red by default (and maybe even reset to red automatically after being green for a certain period)
    Oh yeah, Idk first day that feature was added, I turned it off and left it like that so I forgot about it.

Adapt, appreciate, and own up to what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxDS View Post
    I think producing too few results isn't a problem, it's actually essential. The fact this doesn't happen at the moment is a large part of why people are unhappy with the system.....

Going sideways again... I did think Darian's comments in Judo's interview were sensible. .....

But my prediction is that no matter what SC does to the recruitment search, the clan-searching-for-players side of it will ALWAYS create dissatisfaction amongst players....
    I agree on the number of results. That is exactly why I want a long list of filters that are optional, with the key there being optional. You might slide your war stars scale to be very high. I might not be looking for a war player at the moment and intentionally slide it low since I don't want someone who wants in war. Right now, the tool is just incredibly inefficient. It is very time consuming to even find someone worth inviting. Since they are not likely to join (no fault of them or me, that's just the way it is), it isn't worth spending all that time to send out 5 invites. A long list of filters would allow me to spend the same amount of time to send out 50 invites.

I also agree Darian's comments in the interview were sensible, save for at least one portion (sorry Darian!). Darian did what many do and use an extreme or one specific example to throw out the baby with bathwater (what does that old saying even really mean?). On the issue of badges being earned, he seemed to dismiss the idea entirely by giving the example of a "veteran" badge for a mini account. However, "veteran" isn't really a good example of it. The same goes for players who want in war or don't want in war, want in CWL, or not, etc. There ARE good examples of badges that should be earned, not selected, such as "active daily" or "active donator." That said, no badge system is going to be all that useful anyway compared to a filter system selected by the player searing for other players (which could also be combined with self selecting badges such as "I want in war") which should also be combined with players filtering what types of clans they want invites from. It does neither side any good for a player to show up in the search results of a clan he wouldn't consider joining.

Language is another time where the extreme examples can be used to try to prove a point (6000+ languages, etc.) but that doesn't negate the reality that for the vast majority of players a language filter would be an improvement as long as it was optional. Also, while language filters is always answered in these QA's, it seems the idea of a location filter never is. We already have players with the ability to search clans by location, why not clans searching players by location? (And, it should be a filter added to players' to use too. If I only want to join a clan in the UK, I should be able to set a filter that makes my account only show up in searches done by UK clans. It does no one any good for me to show up in a clan search that I will just ignore invites from.)

I also agree on players complaining. Part of that is due to millions of players, there is no way to avoid it. Another large part of it is what I've been saying for a long time, which is players incorrectly think a better recruiting tool is going to stop their clan from falling apart. The reality is for some clans, a better recruiting tool will just make it all that much easier for good players to avoid that not-so-good clan. That is where those two-way filters come in (filters for searching for players and filters that players apply to themselves to limit what clans can see them on a search result). A lot of people searching for a player need a reality check. They need to recognize the player they are inviting has 20 offers from better clans.
    Last edited by 2222; March 2nd, 2021 at 03:04 PM.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    players incorrectly think a better recruiting tool is going to stop their clan from falling apart. The reality is for some clans, a better recruiting tool will just make it all that much easier for good players to avoid that not-so-good clan. That is where those two-way filters come in (filters for searching for players and filters that players apply to themselves to limit what clans can see them on a search result). A lot of people searching for a player need a reality check. They need to recognize the player they are inviting has 20 offers from better clans.
    I can not tell you how many players have come into clans that I run and tell me that they have never been in a clan that they enjoyed so much. I do not take that so much as a complement (we simply require people to be civil, donate, and support one-another, we aren't Oprah Winfrey giving out cars or anything) as it is a testament that there are clans hanging on that have no business doing so. Many of the players that come to us are frustrated and say that had they not found us, they would have quit the game. For every one that finds a decent clan, there are certainly many that do not. One of the biggest problems that I see in the game today is the proliferation of clans. Once the initial gold fee is paid, the clan will last forever. It may go through a series of bad leaders and low roster sizes, but it will not cease to exist. To me, that is a huge part of the problem. I honestly believe that there needs to be a function that reduces the bad clans. That would lead to a better experience for the players, yes, easier recruiting for the better clans, and better health for the game.
    Last edited by Prince1999; March 2nd, 2021 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    My gut feeling is that some of this is what has happened with the recruitment tool. Because the team can see its functionality behind the scenes, it's obvious to them why the searches are giving certain results. But it's easy to forget that the players don't have access to that information and wonder why the players are frustrated with the results even though it may be painfully obvious when you have the right transparency. This is common in any technical industry.

So hopefully this thread will attempt to bridge that gap a bit.
    I do not think this thread is doing what you want. First, and most importantly because as you have been quick to point out innumerable times, only a tiny fraction of the player base ever comes on the forum. So, it would need to be posted into the community tab in some form to be of use to the player community. But, more importantly I have learned nothing in this thread that tells me if there is any way to manipulate the results to get the type of players that I want. The only thing that I have learned is that I should probably kick out every player that is not based out of an English speaking country or that ever uses a phrase in chat that has been borrowed by the English language from another (c'est la vie, hasta manana, etc...). To me, the system is still a black box that I have been assured will help me. That does not empower me to give specific recommendations about how to correct it.
    The "action items" that this thread seems to have produced for me as an operational designer are:

1. Results that support the essential social aspect of the game. Players in a clan must be able to communicate, therefore results of searches by both players looking for clans and clans looking for players must support this.

2.Less dependence upon the self-labels of playing style and more upon the actual composition of the clan and the player. (Players could potentially be shown clans for example where they fit the median metrics in the clan of TH level, donations per month, and hero levels. Clans would be shown players that fit into the median of their clan roster.)

3. Controls visible to the players/clans that limit or expand search results based upon hard metrics, chosen by the user from a broader menu, such as specific achievements, average monthly activity, or total war stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince1999 View Post
    I can not tell you how many players have come into clans that I run and tell me that they have never been in a clan that they enjoyed so much. I do not take that so much as a complement (we simply require people to be civil, donate, and support one-another, we aren't Oprah Winfrey giving out cars or anything) as it is a testament that there are clans hanging on that have no business doing so. Many of the players that come to us are frustrated and say that had they not found us, they would have quit the game. For every one that finds a decent clan, there are certainly many that do not. One of the biggest problems that I see in the game today is the proliferation of clans. Once the initial gold fee is paid, the clan will last forever. It may go through a series of bad leaders and low roster sizes, but it will not cease to exist. To me, that is a huge part of the problem. I honestly believe that there needs to be a function that reduces the bad clans. That would lead to a better experience for the players, yes, easier recruiting for the better clans, and better health for the game.
    I also think there are too many clans and I think it is bad for the game. I think SC loses a lot of players that never were in a good clan and, had they experienced a good clan, they would not have quit playing. However, I don't know the answer to that problem. Some have suggested making it harder to start a clan (must have a certain xp, cost more gold, whatever) but I don't know that it would help much.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

I also think there are too many clans and I think it is bad for the game. I think SC loses a lot of players that never were in a good clan and, had they experienced a good clan, they would not have quit playing. However, I don't know the answer to that problem. Some have suggested making it harder to start a clan (must have a certain xp, cost more gold, whatever) but I don't know that it would help much.
    I do not think that it should be more difficult to start a clan. I have seen a group of expert players break off from a major clan, start their own and quickly bring it above level 10. There will always be a need to start new clans.

What I would propose would be some sort of payment that the Leader would make each month to continue the clan. It would increase by the level of the clan, but not necessarily a large sum. Just enough to make sure the player still desires to be the leader and that, if they are not paying it, then the clan could eventually pass to another and decline in clan level until reaching level zero and ceasing to exist.

This idea could, in part, change the conversation about new clan perks. In this way, the goal would not necessarily be new perks, but more of maintaining the ones you have. Perhaps, for example, the monthly payment could be some amount of clan XP. Then clans would not simply be in limbo somewhere, sitting on a shelf as a high level clan. If they are not continuing to gain clan XP, they would decline in clan level.

This sort of "ladder" system exists in many other contexts in the game. Player trophies/ trophy league, and CWL league for example. This simply expands that idea to clans. If a clan is not actively playing and gaining XP, they will decline and the players will have a motivation to move on.
    Last edited by Prince1999; March 2nd, 2021 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince1999 View Post
    I do not think that it should be more difficult to start a clan. I have seen a group of expert players break off from a major clan, start their own and quickly bring it above level 10. There will always be a need to start new clans.

What I would propose would be some sort of payment that the Leader would make each month to continue the clan. It would increase by the level of the clan, but not necessarily a large sum. Just enough to make sure the player still desires to be the leader and that, if they are not paying it, then the clan could eventually pass to another and decline in clan level until reaching level zero and ceasing to exist.

This idea could, in part, change the conversation about new clan perks. In this way, the goal would not necessarily be new perks, but more of maintaining the ones you have. Perhaps, for example, the monthly payment could be some amount of clan XP. Then clans would not simply be in limbo somewhere, sitting on a shelf as a high level clan. If they are not continuing to gain clan XP, they would decline in clan level.

This sort of "ladder" system exists in many other contexts in the game. Player trophies/ trophy league, and CWL league for example. This simply expands that idea to clans. If a clan is not actively playing and gaing XP, they will decline and the players will have a motivation to move on.
    The suggestions I've seen to make it more difficult wouldn't impact those expert players at all, other than perhaps the "cost," which also wouldn't be much of an issue for experienced players where gold/elix or whatever is plentiful. The suggestions usually seem designed to discourage new players from starting clans. For example, the player has to be a high XP or hall level or it costs millions of gold, etc. I'm not convinced those efforts would help much, even though I do agree there are too many bad clans and that it hurts the game.

Thatís cuz in the community, thereís not actually enough ppl to recruit if you know what i mean, most of the clanless are th4ís

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #250
    I also agree Darian's comments in the interview were sensible, save for at least one portion (sorry Darian!). Darian did what many do and use an extreme or one specific example to throw out the baby with bathwater (what does that old saying even really mean?). On the issue of badges being earned, he seemed to dismiss the idea entirely by giving the example of a "veteran" badge for a mini account. However, "veteran" isn't really a good example of it. The same goes for players who want in war or don't want in war, want in CWL, or not, etc. There ARE good examples of badges that should be earned, not selected, such as "active daily" or "active donator." That said, no badge system is going to be all that useful anyway compared to a filter system selected by the player searing for other players (which could also be combined with self selecting badges such as "I want in war") which should also be combined with players filtering what types of clans they want invites from. It does neither side any good for a player to show up in the search results of a clan he wouldn't consider joining.
    Let's talk badges then. It could just be that I'm not seeing the merits of how earning badges would be beneficial but I'd love to hear why you think it would work.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.