Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Skill vs spam

Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    But that is because you have chosen CWL as your war preference..
    For our clan, we still prefer striving for a green war log, and treat cwl as a growth tool.

So player choice is the difference, and probably clan structure and membership..
    We have neither the weight nor the ability in depth to try and push cwl, so start the week all in dependent on account size, then replace no shows on a day to day basis..
    And regular war is all about 3 star raids in our book, which is a bottom up meta for optimum results in mixed hall.

Therein lies the difference.
    i do fully agree with the mass attack mentality BTW.
    You are right. Normal wars are a different beast from CWL. You have to 3 star everything below max th13 to have a chance of winning ( usually a few max bases have to be 2 starred as well to win...). In normal wars everything below 3 stars is a fail below max th13 and must be attacked again.

What even constitutes spam vs skill? I use super wizard avalanche pre nerf and I didn't just place all the golems and super wizard in a line. I funneled one side, then direct the heroes towards my planned path by slowly placing golems and super wizard where needed and well timed spells to protect the heroes. Is that considered spam or skill? My attack strategy involves many different phases just like a warden walk into yeti/pekka/super witch strat.

Is it spam just because its mostly just 2 troops? but is that not the same with hybrid and lalo?

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by xAlterion View Post
    What even constitutes spam vs skill? I use super wizard avalanche pre nerf and I didn't just place all the golems and super wizard in a line. I funneled one side, then direct the heroes towards my planned path by slowly placing golems and super wizard where needed and well timed spells to protect the heroes. Is that considered spam or skill? My attack strategy involves many different phases just like a warden walk into yeti/pekka/super witch strat.

Is it spam just because its mostly just 2 troops? but is that not the same with hybrid and lalo?
    Depends on the war monger you ask, but generally they think it has to open with a queen charge specifically targeting and at least 3 layers deep, or a laloon. Now if that queen charge goes south and winds up looking like you or I are attempting it, as most those attacks I watched in the finals of the tourney the other day did, and the finale winds up a mediocre 2 star spam, you’ll still be heralded for the skillful ‘save’, lol.

TH13...level 254...75/75/50/20...gg 2 bil...ee 2 bil...hh 45 mil...atb 6032

Many use the word “spam” intentionally as an insult when describing what actually is a “mass” attack but not spam. I like to use th8 as an example since it is simple and I’ve used it here before. Take a dragon attack at th8 that is all drags with 4-8 loons. One player uses a drag on each corner to create a funnel, dropping a king by an archer tower to take shots too. Then he drops his line of drags between. He saves some loons that he drops on the backside to attack some hard to reach (for the drags) archer towers after they are shooting at his drags. It’s a mass attack. Other than the late loons everything else happens quickly and there are only two troop types.

Another guy drops his drags on a corner without a funnel. His drags split and he goes back to clan chat talking about how his drags are stupid. That’s a spam attack. A third guy does funnel, but saves no backside loons and his drags die to an archer tower tucked behind two storages, ending with high 90%. He goes back to clan chat and says he was close, got a bit unlucky. I’d say that is pretty close to a spam attack, though he did funnel so probably not.

Now when it comes to superwiz and golems, there are (especially before the nerf) some designs where you can drop 8 quakes and then 4 golems and some witches and sw behind with heroes all in one spot and watch them roll over the base. It does require good quake placement and the right entry point, but after that it looks spammy. I’m sorry, though, after that happens a couple times to your design, change your design. Players still getting 3 starred by that attack regularly after the first few days deserve it.
    Last edited by 2222; January 24th, 2021 at 09:41 PM.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

its spam.. pretty much any attack that doesn't involve different stages or layers id classify as spam.

Hybrid generally consists of an aq walk that deals with cc troops, th, or eagle or something, and then a main attack,. There also the choice of seige thats crucial too, not just dropping a LL every time. Same for lavaloon, u use heros or some sort of kill squad to take out as much air targeting stuff u can and the cc troops, and THEN u employ lavaloon. These are more complex strategies, especially lavaloon imo.
    Last edited by bostone; January 24th, 2021 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bostone View Post
    its spam.. pretty much any attack that doesn't involve different stages or layers id classify as spam.

Hybrid generally consists of an aq walk that deals with cc troops, th, or eagle or something, and then a main attack,. There also the choice of seige thats crucial too, not just dropping a LL every time. Same for lavaloon, u use heros or some sort of kill squad to take out as much air targeting stuff u can and the cc troops, and THEN u employ lavaloon. These are more complex strategies, especially lavaloon imo.
    Basically, if its not hybrid or lavaloon, it gets called spam. If it makes people happy to do a superior dance and slap derogatory labels, whatever. If an attack works for me and some people call it spam, could not care less.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    Basically, if its not hybrid or lavaloon, it gets called spam. If it makes people happy to do a superior dance and slap derogatory labels, whatever. If an attack works for me and some people call it spam, could not care less.
    I never said that,.... but if u don't know the difference between a spam attack and hybrid, lavaloon, drag/bat, or any of the other more complicated attacks, then i dont know what to tell u. If u use spam attacks, and it works for u, then more power to u.

I never said that,.... but if u don't know the difference between a spam attack and hybrid, lavaloon, drag/bat, or any of the other more complicated attacks, then i dont know what to tell u. If u use spam attacks, and it works for u, then more power to u.
    So after the qw bit. U spam the hybrid part right... lol. I know I know... there's funnelling involved etc. I think Piper nailed the sentiment of some just above. And BTW, I usually do qw with a 2nd phase of yeti witches bowlers. Got 2 bases in legends. Only in the last couple days I've swapped over to the mass golem witch super wiz attack. Tbh there's a lot less to think about with pathing etc. Still some planning is required for it to be relatively successful. 3 star with this is less pleasing than with my qw attack as I know its a bit more skilful. But if u can get similar results then y not. Super minions on defense, its almost laughable that they nerfed s.wiz before they did these.
    Last edited by AzzaTheGiant; January 25th, 2021 at 01:07 AM.

Several posters here do use it as a derogatory term and apparently find it offensive that less complicated attacks can also be successful. I do know the difference and my limitations. A queen charge hybrid in the right hands is arguably op. Queen, a few loons couple swb and boom a quarter of the base is gone as well as the cc. In the wrong hands, its a disaster. What annoys me is labeling everything but the most complex attacks as no skill spam. And calling for nerf after nerf. Just because they think it lets the plebes have some success.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Quote Originally Posted by AzzaTheGiant View Post
    So after the qw bit. U spam the hybrid part right... lol. I know I know... there's funnelling involved etc. I think Piper nailed the sentiment of some just above. And BTW, I usually do qw with a 2nd phase of yeti witches bowlers. Got 2 bases in legends. Only in the last couple days I've swapped over to the mass golem witch super wiz attack. Tbh there's a lot less to think about with pathing etc. Still some planning is required for it to be relatively successful. 3 star with this is less pleasing than with my qw attack as I know its a bit more skilful. But if u can get similar results then y not. Super minions on defense, its almost laughable that they nerfed s.wiz before they did these.
    Yes.. on the third stage of the attack u spam the hybrid..... ya got me...

BTW, am I the only one who is not bothered by super minions on defense? Just need to use a freeze on hhs and poison the sminions..