Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How 'secure' is SCID?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Remember, that is all accounts can be banned, not will be.

As with everything in their ToS, SC reserve the right to enforce or not.

The ToS used to say if you have an account banned in any Supercell game, you are no longer allowed to access their service at all. So in theory that meant that banning of one account automatically meant banning the player and all their accounts. But that term appears to have been removed.
    So with that term no longer there, it no longer applies. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    I apologize for the copout response, but we do not discuss player account actions publicly. Answering this would fall under that topic.
    I'm not sure how everything from my post was asking you to discuss account actions. Some parts of it might be pretty close... But I'll try to rephrase the questions:
    - Are ToS violation bans account bans or player bans? (kind of answered by Alex already though)
    - Can you give a very general (if anythnig vague) explanation or example as to why some accounts violating the ToS get banned really fast, while some stay around for months if not years (same ToS violation in this case). Yes, you can't go into account actions, but this is something which has been going on for I don't know how long, and nothing is ever said about it...

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDutch View Post
    - Are ToS violation bans account bans or player bans? (kind of answered by Alex already though)
    - Can you give a very general (if anythnig vague) explanation or example as to why some accounts violating the ToS get banned really fast, while some stay around for months if not years (same ToS violation in this case). Yes, you can't go into account actions, but this is something which has been going on for I don't know how long, and nothing is ever said about it...
    From what I've heard/read

- It's too difficult to ban players. How do you determine what accounts belong together? Two players could share their WiFi or devices.

- It would cost too much money to manually check and ban all accounts with ToS violations and if you automate this process, mistakes could occur and innocent players get the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    This is a friendly reminder that buying or willingly sharing your account information puts ALL of your accounts at risk for permanent closure.
    The primary issue is, Darian, that many people don't realize that the date they started playing clash is any sort of "account information". What date I bought gems seems rather innocuous too. Other things that apparently supercell is using to identify whether or not the requestor owns the account also seems benign to most players. Now you can say ignorance is the fault of the user, but where is this information available? Where can I find out that the date I created my account should NEVER be shared? The only place I know of is here, and I have certainly never seen a comprehensive list.

This is a problem.

The solution to this is allowing people to configure account recovery questions on their own, or as others have suggested Two Factor Auth using a phone number. If I setup account recovery questions, it's abundantly clear that sharing this information is bad.

I mean, if I was to lose access to my email, I would have no idea how to answer most of the questions I have heard SC uses to identify account owners. And there is no way I will request that information as it appears I risk being banned for simply asking questions about my account. I mean can you promise that I would not get a permanent ban for asking these questions about my account?
    TMBG War Clan always recruiting - Wars with TH9-13
    TMBG Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/byNR2xZ
    TH11 - Doctor Worm 50/50/20 heroes/near max d
    TH12 - doug 65/65/40 heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Unobservr View Post
    Maan... I never know it would turn out into something like this.

I'm aware, do realize and understand that all our base are belong to SC (pun intended).
    I'm a simple man. I just want to, if/when I do retire, "my" bases must become dead bases, regardless whether I use or not use SCID. No other people should be able to "claim" it.

I think this thread has ran its course. You should close it again.
    Thanks for answering my previous questions. 
    You think you're being funny acting like this? or what?
    Not sarcastic, no pun - this is no way to behave here.

Forum Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatpuma View Post
    The primary issue is, Darian, that many people don't realize that the date they started playing clash is any sort of "account information". What date I bought gems seems rather innocuous too. Other things that apparently supercell is using to identify whether or not the requestor owns the account also seems benign to most players. Now you can say ignorance is the fault of the user, but where is this information available? Where can I find out that the date I created my account should NEVER be shared? The only place I know of is here, and I have certainly never seen a comprehensive list.

This is a problem.

The solution to this is allowing people to configure account recovery questions on their own, or as others have suggested Two Factor Auth using a phone number. If I setup account recovery questions, it's abundantly clear that sharing this information is bad.

I mean, if I was to lose access to my email, I would have no idea how to answer most of the questions I have heard SC uses to identify account owners. And there is no way I will request that information as it appears I risk being banned for simply asking questions about my account. I mean can you promise that I would not get a permanent ban for asking these questions about my account?
    I wholeheartedly agree with this^^^^
    I would also add, again, that despite this information being obscure and hard to find for many players, we are never warned of the seriousness of a wrong answer when attempting to recover an account. A simple warning seems like a common courtesy. SC should, at the very least, provide an article or video in game on how to obtain this information on Android/iOS. I’ve said it before and shall continue to say it until something changes: I would expect a company valued over a billion​ dollars, owned by one of the largest companies in China, to have better player support services.

This is a problem.

I agree with all of this. People form friends in clash - good friends! Chat about life, where we live, things we like, when we started playing, etc. That’s natural and normal. People are people, not robots, and who would have ever thought where you live is “game data”?

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #117
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDutch View Post
    So with that term no longer there, it no longer applies. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not sure how everything from my post was asking you to discuss account actions. Some parts of it might be pretty close... But I'll try to rephrase the questions:
    This topic about the security of SCID and people losing their accounts to stealing, phishing etc is already complicated enough.
    I really think this is a discussion doesnít really belong in this topic as youíre asking about TOS violations and how SC polices them and how SC decides to ban etc.

Darian already stated he canít say much more on that topic anyway.
    But hereís a parallel. Think of it like traffic violations, people make them every day but not every one is fined and caught all the time. Nevertheless past results is no guarantee for the future. If thereís shenanigans in their history the accounts will always be at risk.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #118

This is a problem.

The best course of action if you donít know the answer to the questions is to answer truthfully and say you donít recall it exactly and possibly offer some information they could verify and ask them what else you can offer to prove itís your account.
    But donít just start wildly taking a stab or guess at it. The last one will get you into trouble for sure.

I don't even remember what I had for diner last week so there are bound to be things I wouldnít remember either after such a long time of playing and I do think the person on the other end is human too and will understand to a certain degree.

That said lets just hope we never need account recovery. After all millions of people play without ever needing their account recovered in the first place.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    The best course of action if you don’t know the answer to the questions is to answer truthfully and say you don’t recall it exactly and possibly offer some information they could verify and ask them what else you can offer to prove it’s your account.
    But don’t just start wildly taking a stab or guess at it. The last one will get you into trouble for sure.

I don't even remember what I had for diner last week so there are bound to be things I wouldn’t remember either after such a long time of playing and I do think the person on the other end is human too and will understand to a certain degree.

That said lets just hope we never need account recovery. After all millions of people play without ever needing their account recovered in the first place.
    Again, they don't tell you that! And further, what if I think I know but what I know is wrong? The whole recovery process based on game information is patently absurd. Think about how this would work if your bank asked you these questions to verify who you were.

Look, I know that you should not do that - but I only know because I read these forums. 99% of the clash community are not on these forums. How are these people supposed to know? The whole thing is completely idiotic from a company as technically talented as supercell is.

Bottom line, what supercell is doing here is basically "security through obscurity" which does not work.
    Last edited by Thegreatpuma; January 19th, 2021 at 04:00 PM.
    TMBG War Clan always recruiting - Wars with TH9-13
    TMBG Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/byNR2xZ
    TH11 - Doctor Worm 50/50/20 heroes/near max d
    TH12 - doug 65/65/40 heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    <snip[>
    Which brings us back to: I'm doing what I can to prevent that, but for that the security seems to be not what it should be, which is worrisome

And no, we don't need to start rehashing the arguments (although I'm sure you look great in blue ) but especially with the strange things going on an addition like suggested by several of a 2FA or something like a phone number or security stuff in our SCID stuff would be great to help us feel less ... helpless? vulnerable?