Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How 'secure' is SCID?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #81
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgirl View Post
    That might be true, but then you start getting into questions that are difficult for even the real account owner to answer. When did I first buy gems? No clue! What devices have I played on? I had 6-8 devices over the years, maybe more, and multiple accounts - which accounts did I play on which devices? Again, no clue!!

And btw, both of those questions could be answered easier by a scammer than by me. Scammer can create or steal a low level accts, then guess the answers - bought gems? If no hero skins theyíll probably guess never, if hero skins theyíll prob say a range within a few months of acct creation. Device played on? iPhone. Or iPad, or Samsung, or whatever, pick one. If theyíre wrong, they lose a low level acct, big whoop. Meanwhile, Iím actually terrified if my email ever changes bc Iíd prob lose my acct for not being able to answer questions about stuff that I did years ago.

Maybe it really *IS* hard to lose an account without inadvertently giving away some private info, maybe it isn't. But itís getting to the point where I'm starting to believe that it sometimes can happen. Maybe itís extremely extremely extremely extremely rare .. but I just personally do not believe itís zero.
    No, this isnít a thing about the list of the questionnaire but things that go on at the backend of the recovery process what they canít discuss, things that are checked and considered even without the account owner knowing or having information about.
    If an account owner says the recovery process was easy and they didnít have to answer such difficult questions then itís possible this is somewhat close to their experience but it doesnít paint a full picture.

Lets take a totally different example. In August 2019 we traveled to the US for the very first time. We have flown to several destinations before I picked that on purpose. Now in order for us to be allowed entry to the US we had to submit a questionnaire and pay a fee for a travel visa and you hear whether youíre allowed to travel there.

So I show up at the airport in my country. I tell them my name and my destination, they trusted me on my blue eyes and they handed me the boarding pass and let me on the plane. Oh wait.. they checked my passport we had to go through the security checks and at the gate a few other passengers and I had to go through another check. They checked the carry ons again etc etc.

Anywho before I even plant my behind on my chosen seat on the plane. Iíve been checked several times that I know of. Now I am also quite sure if I had outstanding fines or was a person of interest for the law then some red flags were raised and I wouldnít have been able to board the plane. Now weeks before I even packed my suitcase the US knew I was coming and lord knows what they check on their end about the people traveling to their country.

Of course I wouldnít go as far as to say that scams donít happen, just like every day life where people get scammed out their money and other things. Sure people are scammed and it isnít always directly obvious what caused it either.
    Still what Darian said earlier still applies you can add as many security levels as you want eventually itís as strong or weak as the human link in the chain. Take bank accounts for example you donít hear of them being hacked all that often. Most know to keep their info safe, but you do hear loads of stories if people being tricked into sending money to scammers all over the world.

If you ever do need support to recover your account the best thing is to be honest in answering the questions and say you may not be able to recall all the devices youíve had through the years for example and that you try to answer as best you can.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    ...accounts are not just handed over with no verification. Anyone claiming otherwise is simply not being truthful about their activities...
    I believe this is one issue which is causing a bit of confusion in any discussion about lost accounts. When people come to the forums and create a post about a "hacked" or "stolen" account it's often found out there's more to the story after some digging. Whether the person is not being truthful or genuinely doesn't realize how there information got out, there's usually more to the story than is given in the OP.

So whenever a new thread is created the same questions get asked. Anyone who truly believes their information wasn't given out gets frustrated on why these questions are being asked and why it cannot be believed that the account that was lost was not their fault. This initial hurdle to get everyone on the same page causes a lot of extra discussion and frustrations on both sides. So thank you for creating a forum thread to discuss this more in depth.

We literally just recovered another of the stolen bases - We opened support - they asked for name ID pic of profile - we sent and they replied 'Congrats chief please provide us with a new email address"

BOOM no questions even positively MIND blowing. Yes it was ours but there is no question how these thieves are operating

Lethal Relic - Leader of Lethal Demise #9QJJU9J8
    Level 23!!!

Click Here to join the Lethal Family of Clans

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #84
    Quote Originally Posted by mydanes View Post
    We literally just recovered another of the stolen bases - We opened support - they asked for name ID pic of profile - we sent and they replied 'Congrats chief please provide us with a new email address"

BOOM no questions even positively MIND blowing. Yes it was ours but there is no question how these thieves are operating
    We literally just went over how that mind blowing thing is just half a story....

This is simply not true and there is likely more going on than what is being shared publicly. There are a variety of system checks that happen in the background and just having that information alone will not allow someone to recover an account.
    This simply doesn't happen. I cannot go into the technical details behind the scenes of how this is impossible, for security reasons, but accounts are not just handed over with no verification. Anyone claiming otherwise is simply not being truthful about their activities. The most likely scenario is that someone shared their account information or the account itself and was scammed out of it and does not want to admit to it.
    With this in mind, I would love to share how the account recovery of someone I met went just a while back. Sure, I don't know what kind of background checks are done...
    This person had been trying to recover the account for a little while that day, getting actual humans as support, which were 'being useless', not being able to help recover the account. Eventually, he/she got the O.T.T.O bot in support, and was able to instantly recover the account by answering 3 simple questions: player tag of the account, th level of the account and what clan the account was last in (if in any). Screenshot below.

None of the info required was something which only the owner could know. This info is readily available on clashofstats.com for example. It isn't very reassuring... Especially since no where it discloses that some sort of background check on the account (and/or the person trying to recover) is done, if done at all. Would love to hear some official comment regarding this method of recovering an account.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    They can ONLY do that before you have SCID set up.

Once you have set it up, it is at least as secure as Google Play or the Apple equivalent.
    This is simply not true, to quote some others even in this thread...

For google I can log off any other device where my account is used, if that should be the case, without issue.
    When you change the password for your apple ID, you automatically get logged out from any device and will have to log on again

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    We literally just went over how that mind blowing thing is just half a story....
    I'm sorry, but it is really disheartening to read that even with proof of this happening and the players just asking what is going on, all we get thrown at us is, honestly, getting told we are liars ...

I, as quite a few others, am honestly worried about the security of my accounts. Others share those concerns. Especially since, as stated, in the past month or two the number of people coming here and in other places asking about that 'SCID expired' thing - and NEVER anywhere is there ANY answer or explanation. Now whatever the cause for the change may be, why did it take until today for any of us to finally read that this particular message appears when the email address for the account 'has been changed' for instance?

Several long standing members in clans and here on the forums are seeing new issues from responsible adults that are encountering something we haven't seen before and with what we've seen so far, is NOT 'just people lying about how an account was recovered'.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #88
    Quote Originally Posted by JusMe View Post
    I'm sorry, but it is really disheartening to read that even with proof of this happening and the players just asking what is going on, all we get thrown at us is, honestly, getting told we are liars ...
    If at this point you state I am calling people liars then you haven’t read anything I wrote here ...

You know what’s disheartening... you’re so concerned about such things we mostly hear from players who come here just to stir trouble with a few posts and never bother to follow up..
    Yet you don’t read the countless of times we’ve said that the weakest link is with the human factor.
    And that the recovery process is more complex but they cannot go into further details.

I can talk until I'm blue in the face yet no one is bothering to actually read what is said and just repeat the same thing over and over again.
    Last edited by Kaptain Kat; January 18th, 2021 at 11:27 PM.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #89
    Quote Originally Posted by mydanes View Post

You're basing your conclusion on false premises and faulty assumptions about how the verification system works on the back end. Again, I cannot reveal how and what systems are in place to verify a player if they are contacting support. We can see quite a bit more than people realize.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #90
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDutch View Post
    With this in mind, I would love to share how the account recovery of someone I met went just a while back. Sure, I don't know what kind of background checks are done...
    This person had been trying to recover the account for a little while that day, getting actual humans as support, which were 'being useless', not being able to help recover the account. Eventually, he/she got the O.T.T.O bot in support, and was able to instantly recover the account by answering 3 simple questions: player tag of the account, th level of the account and what clan the account was last in (if in any). Screenshot below....

None of the info required was something which only the owner could know. This info is readily available on clashofstats.com for example. It isn't very reassuring... Especially since no where it discloses that some sort of background check on the account (and/or the person trying to recover) is done, if done at all. Would love to hear some official comment regarding this method of recovering an account.
    Read Darian’s message you quoted again and again and again until you’ve understood the part which says “I cannot go into technical details...
    He has given a comment on that exact same situation...
    Last edited by Kaptain Kat; January 18th, 2021 at 11:22 PM.