Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How 'secure' is SCID?

Quote Originally Posted by MAYFAlR View Post
    Is there any way to find out some of your more obscure account details that are readily used to verify your identity should you lose access to your account? For example many players cannot remember the exact date they started playing but instead a rough estimate which is commonly reported to be required as part of a successful account re-ownership. I’ve heard that supercell will provide the account owner the relevant details of their account upon request - is this true? As someone who has what I deem a relatively healthy concern of losing access to their account should the worst happen, having the information readily available in advance seems like a sensible move. The worry however is that support will lock you out of your own account upon request of such information as a case of suspected phishing.

Basically catch22
    I may be wrong; I have only recently looked into this. I believe you can - the steps would be listed on the supercell help site.

from memory
    1. you must have a supercell id.
    2. you must email legal-requests@supercell.com
    3. you are requesting all of your personal info that has been collected by supercell.

I believe I should do this for a few of my accounts as I didn't track every needed detail for recovery... most answers can be found simply by looking in game - but device created on and ip accessed by would be things you would learn...

Clan Recruitment - War Weight - Suggested Upgrade Paths
    NG #9JR2GQ9P NG2 #YRY2YRQ2
    NG3#G09VUJGU www.Discord.me/Nightmare
    Aged Greatness2 #8VJ9UJC8 AG3 #2R0Y9CJY
    www.discord.me/AG2

Quote Originally Posted by blombardo View Post
    I may be wrong; I have only recently looked into this. I believe you can - the steps would be listed on the supercell help site.

from memory
    1. you must have a supercell id.
    2. you must email legal-requests@supercell.com
    3. you are requesting all of your personal info that has been collected by supercell.

I believe I should do this for a few of my accounts as I didn't track every needed detail for recovery... most answers can be found simply by looking in game - but device created on and ip accessed by would be things you would learn...
    I did the request through in-game support. The account must be linked to SCID.

On account(s) where I bought something, the "Contact Us" option opens a chat with a human agent, and you can request your data directly.

On a free-to-play account:
    Help and support > Fair and safe play > Access/delete your data > Request your personal data > "Contact Us" open a chat with O.T.T.O. with a menu. Choose "Others" then "Access my data" and if you agree, "Continue"

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #103
    This is a friendly reminder that buying or willingly sharing your account information puts ALL of your accounts at risk for permanent closure.

With that statement out of the way, I want to say that I'm sure many of the players who have discussed account theft issues maybe weren't aware of what information they shared or perhaps they thought the policy violations they were committing were harmless and no issue would come of it. Time and time again such threads rarely ever reveal any kind of loopholes or weaknesses in the support recovery process and more often than not highlight how players treat their account security by engaging in behavior that violates our Terms of Service policies. While yes, because support is handled by human agents there are occasional errors. But whenever I have been asked to further investigate an issue there has only been 3 times where a ban was reversed due to agent error. 3 times in the 3 1/2 years I've been here out of hundreds of requests. The Support agents handle thousands of requests. 3 out of thousands is a pretty good ratio.

One of the dangers of trying to court public sympathy regarding account actions is that it runs the risk of airing out the account's dirty laundry when we can fully view what behavior the account(s) in question has been involved with. What makes this especially risky is that we can distinguish the difference between accounts that have been compromised versus accounts that have been voluntarily shared, sold, bought, etc.

Normally we do not publicly discuss account-related actions for reasons of player privacy. Therefore, I cannot and will not go into the specifics of what was discovered. However, what I can say is that very rarely do we ever see evidence that isn't suspicious on accounts that are banned or stolen.

I understand that from the player's perspective, because you can't see our half of the picture, there is a lot of guesswork into what goes on. WE. SEE. A. LOT. That statement needs to be reinforced. We can see a lot of information on our end when it comes to player account verification.

With any security system, the human element is always the weakest link. This is ubiquitous throughout any online gaming community and isn't isolated to Clash of Clans. Every single online game suffers from account theft. Why? Because there is a demand for it and people are careless with how they treat their personal information.

Our Terms of Service are the way they are for a very specific reason. The goal of prohibiting account sales and account sharing is not to stop people from making a profit off our games. The purpose of the ToS is to prevent incidents like this from happening; one person commits a violation and all other Clan members are negatively affected by the deception.

Then to have the cases brought publicly with claims of systemic weakness, it dilutes the core of the issue which is that account sharing is against the Terms of Service.

So again, I leave you with this: Buying and sharing accounts runs the risk of having ALL of your accounts permanently closed.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Quote Originally Posted by EveryGoodNameIsTaken View Post
    I got one of my test accounts banned because of that ,after you "Continue"...a human asks what type of data you want. I didn't know about all the types of data there are to be asked for :/ ,I said i wanna know my account creation date(just a test ).....BOOM ! Banned !!!
    My experience is that the support agent asked me to confirm I understood that the Personal Data download is free only the first time you request it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    This is a friendly reminder that buying or willingly sharing your account information puts ALL of your accounts at risk for permanent closure.
    Most people think SC will not enforce what's written in the Terms of Service, then complain when they happen to get a ban.

Apologies if I come across a little strong and anti SCID within this thread..
    I dont wish to be.. My only experience with the system is what I read on forum.

Being of high moral standards myself, I like to think not everybody has something to hide..
    But being rather paranoid by nature leaves me in a funny place when it comes to topics like this..
    Yes, i think signing up will speed up the process of using multiple accounts, therefore be beneficial..
    No, I dont know anything about those whom post that the system allowed them to lose an account.

it does hearten me that Darian has taken time out to become involved with the thread..
    His inside knowledge will surely help alleviate some of the misconceptions that have arisen from people posting that they lost an account thru no fault of their own.

Now, question that may or may not be allowed..
    Obviously, to have several accounts, one needs several mail accounts..
    Google recently made rumors they were looking at scaling back low/non activity mail accounts..
    Would signing up to SCID supersede that mail account, or would access still be lost if the mail account were later dissolved?

PS.. I do think that customer support should auto ban anyone that takes up their time to simply "run a test".
    Dont know about anyone else, but nothing infuriates me more at work than to be wasting my time for no reason other than to satisfy someones ego..
    And for what?.. So they can post on forum that they did it?.. Big deal.
    Last edited by joshsgrandad; January 19th, 2021 at 10:43 AM.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    Obviously, to have several accounts, one needs several mail accounts..
    Google recently made rumors they were looking at scaling back low/non activity mail accounts..
    Would signing up to SCID supersede that mail account, or would access still be lost if the mail account were later dissolved?

That's quite the hypothetical situation. We cannot track or control email accounts that go active or inactive for whatever reason, whether it's Google/Gmail or some lesser known email client. It's simply not possible for us to expend those kinds of resources to do so nor are we an email company.

The process would be no different than if I lost access to an email address for any other reason, whether I change jobs, close the account, lost the password, etc. If my SCID account was tied to Gmail and Google closed that email address, that doesn't mean I'll instantly lose access to my SCID account. However, if something were to happen to my SCID account that would require email verification, then unfortunately additional steps when discussing this with Support will need to take place - including the one-time email address change.

How a company chooses to manage their email system is entirely up to them and does not change the processes of the Supercell ID verification.
    AKA Tank Puppy

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

That's quite the hypothetical situation. We cannot track or control email accounts that go active or inactive for whatever reason, whether it's Google/Gmail or some lesser known email client. It's simply not possible for us to expend those kinds of resources to do so nor are we an email company.

The process would be no different than if I lost access to an email address for any other reason, whether I change jobs, close the account, lost the password, etc. If my SCID account was tied to Gmail and Google closed that email address, that doesn't mean I'll instantly lose access to my SCID account. However, if something were to happen to my SCID account that would require email verification, then unfortunately additional steps when discussing this with Support will need to take place - including the one-time email address change.

How a company chooses to manage their email system is entirely up to them and does not change the processes of the Supercell ID verification.
    The prompt answer is much appreciated, thank you for that..
    I am not tech savvy like many here, so tend to just stumble thru things best I can..
    Sometimes I learn something, sometimes it goes over my head.

PS.. Thanks for dumbing it down for me.

One of the dangers of trying to court public sympathy regarding account actions is that it runs the risk of airing out the account's dirty laundry when we can fully view what behavior the account(s) in question has been involved with. What makes this especially risky is that we can distinguish the difference between accounts that have been compromised versus accounts that have been voluntarily shared, sold, bought, etc.

Normally we do not publicly discuss account-related actions for reasons of player privacy. Therefore, I cannot and will not go into the specifics of what was discovered. However, what I can say is that very rarely do we ever see evidence that isn't suspicious on accounts that are banned or stolen.

I understand that from the player's perspective, because you can't see our half of the picture, there is a lot of guesswork into what goes on. WE. SEE. A. LOT. That statement needs to be reinforced. We can see a lot of information on our end when it comes to player account verification.

With any security system, the human element is always the weakest link. This is ubiquitous throughout any online gaming community and isn't isolated to Clash of Clans. Every single online game suffers from account theft. Why? Because there is a demand for it and people are careless with how they treat their personal information.

Our Terms of Service are the way they are for a very specific reason. The goal of prohibiting account sales and account sharing is not to stop people from making a profit off our games. The purpose of the ToS is to prevent incidents like this from happening; one person commits a violation and all other Clan members are negatively affected by the deception.

Then to have the cases brought publicly with claims of systemic weakness, it dilutes the core of the issue which is that account sharing is against the Terms of Service.

So again, I leave you with this: Buying and sharing accounts runs the risk of having ALL of your accounts permanently closed.
    After reading this, I have 2 questions. You're saying SC collects a lot of data, and knows way more than we think (which I don't doubt), but how come I know several people who have bought an account, but have been playing on that for years, not getting banned. With all the data being collected, this really shouldn't be such a big issue? Or is it because the account would only be tagged as suspicious, but not enough further evidence is available? I'm not asking for specifics, just generally why it seems that some bought accounts just 'avoid' this whole thing.

Also the last sentence about running the risk of having all your accounts closed - does this mean that if player A owns 5 accounts, 4 of which are 100% his/hers, and 1 which is bought/shared, all 5 accounts can (or will) be banned? This is a really weird statement to me, as in the past there have been multiple cases of peoples 'bought' account being banned, while the rest of his/her accounts remained. Even with one of the more popular content creators a while back iirc... And the reason given (I think you even said this) was because ToS violations on an account lead to account bans, not player bans.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #109
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDutch View Post
    Also the last sentence about running the risk of having all your accounts closed - does this mean that if player A owns 5 accounts, 4 of which are 100% his/hers, and 1 which is bought/shared, all 5 accounts can (or will) be banned? This is a really weird statement to me, as in the past there have been multiple cases of peoples 'bought' account being banned, while the rest of his/her accounts remained. Even with one of the more popular content creators a while back iirc... And the reason given (I think you even said this) was because ToS violations on an account lead to account bans, not player bans.
    Remember, that is all accounts can be banned, not will be.

As with everything in their ToS, SC reserve the right to enforce or not.

The ToS used to say if you have an account banned in any Supercell game, you are no longer allowed to access their service at all. So in theory that meant that banning of one account automatically meant banning the player and all their accounts. But that term appears to have been removed.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDutch View Post
    After reading this, I have 2 questions. You're saying SC collects a lot of data, and knows way more than we think (which I don't doubt), but how come I know several people who have bought an account, but have been playing on that for years, not getting banned. With all the data being collected, this really shouldn't be such a big issue? Or is it because the account would only be tagged as suspicious, but not enough further evidence is available? I'm not asking for specifics, just generally why it seems that some bought accounts just 'avoid' this whole thing.

I apologize for the copout response, but we do not discuss player account actions publicly. Answering this would fall under that topic.
    AKA Tank Puppy