Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Winter Champion is such a generic name

Winter Champion is such a generic name

Honestly, couldn't they have come up with something a little more creative and catchy? Arctic Champion for example? Or Eskimo champion? Anything else honestly. I'm hoping supercell will realize how generic it is and change the name like they did for the "Halloween Obstacle" that eventually was renamed Spooky Tree.
    | BK 75 | AQ 75 | GW 50 | RC 25 |

Or maybe it's what they were going for this time🤔.....

Millennial Club
    Now that you mentioned it, I guess we have 4 Heroes and each Hero will represent a Seasons to make up the Seasons set (Autumn Queen & Winter Champion). Summer King & Spring Warden / Summer Warden & Spring King will be the remaining Hero Skin set.
    Last edited by Mercfovia87; December 2nd, 2020 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercfovia87 View Post
    Now that you mentioned it, I guess we have 4 Heroes and each Hero will represent a Seasons to make up the Seasons set (Autumn Queen & Winter Champion). Summer King & Spring Warden / Summer Warden & Spring King will be the remaining Hero Skin set.
    That might be possible as both autumn queen and winter champion represent the name of a season.

Though I am guessing it to be a part of another set other. It could be included as the rest of the skins of "winter set" which would comprise of jolly king, ice queen, winter champion and probably another skin for GW.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1027 View Post
    Honestly, couldn't they have come up with something a little more creative and catchy? Arctic Champion for example? Or Eskimo champion? Anything else honestly. I'm hoping supercell will realize how generic it is and change the name like they did for the "Halloween Obstacle" that eventually was renamed Spooky Tree.
    The problem is you're thinking very linguo-centrically. In other words, you're looking at it through the lens of a single language. It is standard for Clash of Clans to name things as basic and straight forward as possible. That's why none of the unit names have any kind of punny names. As an example, the Scattershot was originally supposed to shoot ice particles. One suggested name was calling it the "Avalauncher" as a portmanteau of "avalanche" and "launcher". The problem is that it only makes sense in English. Our game isn't only played in English. The names of units have to remain largely consistent across languages, meaning they have to translate into other languages and make sense.

Winter Champion is a name that can be easily translated. Eskimo Champion? There are no Eskimos in Clash of Clans. I'm surprised you've only just noticed the plainness of the naming convention. Let's take a look at the other names:

Cannon
    Archer Tower
    Wall
    Mortar
    Barbarian
    Witch
    Rage Spell

Everything in game is named as plainly as possible to give no misconception of what it is and what it does. The Skins are no different.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    The problem is you're thinking very linguo-centrically. In other words, you're looking at it through the lens of a single language. It is standard for Clash of Clans to name things as basic and straight forward as possible. That's why none of the unit names have any kind of punny names. As an example, the Scattershot was originally supposed to shoot ice particles. One suggested name was calling it the "Avalauncher" as a portmanteau of "avalanche" and "launcher". The problem is that it only makes sense in English. Our game isn't only played in English. The names of units have to remain largely consistent across languages, meaning they have to translate into other languages and make sense.

Winter Champion is a name that can be easily translated. Eskimo Champion? There are no Eskimos in Clash of Clans. I'm surprised you've only just noticed the plainness of the naming convention. Let's take a look at the other names:

Cannon
    Archer Tower
    Wall
    Mortar
    Barbarian
    Witch
    Rage Spell

Everything in game is named as plainly as possible to give no misconception of what it is and what it does. The Skins are no different.
    Agreed on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    As an example, the Scattershot was originally supposed to shoot ice particles. One suggested name was calling it the "Avalauncher" as a portmanteau of "avalanche" and "launcher". The problem is that it only makes sense in English. Our game isn't only played in English.
    It's good to hear some behind the scenes story. Thanks for sharing this.
    I'm calling Scattershot "Ava" now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1027 View Post
    Winter Champion is such a generic name
    I like it.
    Last edited by RaBBjt; December 3rd, 2020 at 01:18 PM.

Welcome
    To
    Finland -> discord.gg/84YVXyh