Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Tom & Mining For Diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
    You can tell how long he will hold on to the balloon by watching the string. It's gets shorter (on the lower end) as he gets closer to letting it go.
    Now THAT's something I didn't know. Thank you
    GC: Velcrofarm

KIK: Velcrofarm
    Level 52 Town level 9.

Holidae - I was inspired by this thread and have started doing this myself. I tried to keep track from the beginning but I stopped writing everything down. I think I may be addicted to mining diamonds now though!

I started by hiring Tom for 1 day. Between what I had already and what I received from the shovels I was able to hire him for 5 days after the first day expired. I was hoping to get him at a discount but even though I was right there waiting when the 24 hour mark came up, the discounts were greyed out. I figured it was a timing mistake on my part and went ahead and hired him for the 5 days. So tonight, about an hour ago, was the end of the five days. I even made sure I knew exactly when he expired by the countdown on his last trip. The same thing happened again. I almost tripled my investment by having Tom go for shovels continuously. I also got 4 diamond mystery boxes. So I figured if I could make that many diamonds in 5 days, its worth it to hire him for 10 because I can make my diamonds back in 5 and have him get other items for the next 5. Anyway the discount was greyed out again and I know I was right on time. The only reason I can think of is because his last trip was less than 2 hours before he expired.

I ended up hiring him again anyway but I feel like I should be 16 diamonds richer right now. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've hired Tom for a day quite a few times and until I planned on hiring him immediately after he expired, there was always a discount.
    • Level 49; completely addicted daily player | Android player so no game center | Facebook: Shari Post Kik: sharilynpost | Always looking for new friends/neighbors - I help as often as I can! | If its in my RSS you're welcome to it! | Focused on earning money right now so I'm selling almost everything I make. | I wouldn't have made nearly as much progress without all the help from generous people here; can't thank you all enough!

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic decrease in diamond to shovel ratio? When I first found this thread last month I thought it was a good idea and began hiring Tom as well. I typically got my 90 fiamonds back by day 5 or 6 and everything after was profit for expanding slots and buying nets..... However this last week I have 4 days left and I've only accumulated 40 diamonds roughly half what I was getting in that time frame before the last update. Anyone else experience this or just my paranoia?
    my kik ID is tiaxotrax For a list of what features were added to which updates. check this link.
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...39#post5782239

Most Level-Headed Member
    I'm on my 5th consecutive 10 day Tom expedition and it's been slower than normal but I'm not surprised.

I didn't expect this to be lucrative every time. Sometimes you're the bug sometimes you're the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    I'm on my 5th consecutive 10 day Tom expedition and it's been slower than normal but I'm not surprised.

I didn't expect this to be lucrative every time. Sometimes you're the bug sometimes you're the windshield.
    How is it going now? I'm concerned the game turned down the diamonds from the mine so that this will no longer be possible.

Most Level-Headed Member
    I didn't reacquire Tom after his time was up but I did get 118 diamonds from those 10 days.

Two of the days were really slow. It seemed worse than it was because they were consecutive days but after the drought was a downpour.

I'm going to wait and see what the next game update entails before I rent him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    I didn't reacquire Tom after his time was up but I did get 118 diamonds from those 10 days.

Two of the days were really slow. It seemed worse than it was because they were consecutive days but after the drought was a downpour.

I'm going to wait and see what the next game update entails before I rent him again.
    He always pays for himself when I get him. But I don't like using him. I always forget I have him. I don't know which is worse, his sorry lazy self or my forgetfulness.

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

I just finished a five-day hire, and once again, I didn't break even. I ended up with 33 diamonds from mining with shovels, after sending him out 5-8 times a day for only shovels. I do it when I'm getting low on ore, so I still consider it an okay investment, but it definitely has never "worked" for me. I three in 16 shovels in a row yesterday and got not one single diamond!
    GC name Assamba. I love new friends, but not interested in raiders. Level 70

Most Level-Headed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samba View Post
    I just finished a five-day hire, and once again, I didn't break even. I ended up with 33 diamonds from mining with shovels, after sending him out 5-8 times a day for only shovels. I do it when I'm getting low on ore, so I still consider it an okay investment, but it definitely has never "worked" for me. I three in 16 shovels in a row yesterday and got not one single diamond!
    You have to keep it consistent. If you have a day with only 5 trips you'll need a day with 10 or 11 trips to make up for it.

I believe I average 8-9 trips a day. I realize everyone cannot do that which is why this doesn't work for everyone.

Need Advice

Hi guys, why do you prefer hire him for search just shovel other than dynamite and TNT????

Chance drop diamonds for shovel is bigger than else(dynamit,TNT) ?