Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Thread views

Thread views

Do the number of views a thread gets, affected by how many people view it or will it increase after I view it over and over again?

Simply put does it mean:

1 person = 1 view, no matter how many times I a person views it?

OR

1 person = unlimited amount of views added to a thread?

yes I think

Encouraging others to step out of their comfort zone...
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonCream099 View Post
    Do the number of views a thread gets, affected by how many people view it or will it increase after I view it over and over again?

Simply put does it mean:

1 person = 1 view, no matter how many times I a person views it?

OR

1 person = unlimited amount of views added to a thread?
    There are currently 776 views on this thread as I post this. I'll visit it five more times and let you know if it changes (assuming noone else views it in the meantime).

Edit- Still shows 776
    Last edited by Tahoe; November 3rd, 2020 at 05:34 AM.

Thank You TerMinus for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by rusherford View Post
    yes I think
    You never answered any question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
    There are currently 776 views on this thread as I post this. I'll visit it five more times and let you know if it changes (assuming noone else views it in the meantime).

Edit- Still shows 776
    Okay thanks.

I am sorry for

Since they use Vbulletin, I did some quick research on it. Apparently, there is no simple answer to the question from what I quickly found and read. First off, there seems to be a setting on how often stats are updated, and that setting (chron job running in background) can be modified by the site Admin. From what I quickly saw, that typically is set to a 30 or 60 minute interval.

Secondly (to complicate further) it includes Guest views, which then would include the gazillions of data mining bots on the internet, like the ones Google use to continually mine every single public page if it changes. (Their search engine requires those bots. If the bots cannot get to a page, you could never then find it with a Google Search). Now I suspect they cannot distinguish unregistered users. All "guest" probably are considered unique views.

So a test of posting, then returning to see count is not conclusive, without knowing the local chron job setting. Even if we knew it, we still could not determine anything. And we cannot equate views to "how many people view it", the vast majority are bots, not people.
    Last edited by rowman; November 7th, 2020 at 09:01 PM.

Encouraging others to step out of their comfort zone...
    Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    Since they use Vbulletin, I did some quick research on it. Apparently, there is no simple answer to the question from what I quickly found and read. First off, there seems to be a setting on how often stats are updated, and that setting (chron job running in background) can be modified by the site Admin. From what I quickly saw, that typically is set to a 30 or 60 minute interval.

Secondly (to complicate further) it includes Guest views, which then would include the gazillions of data mining bots on the internet, like the ones Google use to continually mine every single public page if it changes. (Their search engine requires those bots. If the bots cannot get to a page, you could never then find it with a Google Search). Now I suspect they cannot distinguish unregistered users. All "guest" probably are considered unique views.

So a test of posting, then returning to see count is not conclusive, without knowing the local chron job setting. Even if we knew it, we still could not determine anything. And we cannot equate views to "how many people view it", the vast majority are bots, not people.
    Excellent points rowman. Thanks for researching!

Thank You TerMinus for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post

Thank you for the information Rowman.
    Last edited by SharkyFinn; November 9th, 2020 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post

Edit- Still shows 776
    There could have been a delay

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rusherford View Post
    There could have been a delay
    If you are going to respond to a post from several days ago, you really should read through first.