Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: shouldnt forum post owners be allowed to close their own threads?

shouldnt forum post owners be allowed to close their own threads?

just an idea and im wondering why we cant.

played clash of clans for 3 years...or was it 4? Signature courtesy of terminus prime and his shop

my main account: https://www.clashofstats.com/players...0LCC2P/summary
    my second account: https://www.clashofstats.com/players...LVR22VJLJ/army

My opinion:

We don't have it because:

1) there might be some situations when it could be abused or misused.

2) the thread you make, might be also a topic someone else wanted to look for or comment on later. Closing it will force others with similar topic/idea/question/etc. to make a new thread instead of commenting on an existing thread.

3) it requires giving all users a permission that is not available for public (maybe it is with some vBulletin plugins, but Supercell will not add any more plugins to the forum). IMO mods should be the judge and make the call for closing or not closing a thread.

4) I wonder why we need/should have this option?

PS: you're signature might be true, you're opinion is controversial

PPS: if you want to close your thread, just simply ask a mod (reporting it with an explanation might be a good way to let them know).
    Last edited by mmmaka3m; October 21st, 2020 at 05:47 PM.

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    Quote Originally Posted by chilepepper101 View Post
    Before I answer your question, I would like more information. As a poster who started multiple threads in various subforums, why do you want the ability to close your own threads? Thank you.

---
    Lynn, Casual Clasher, Casual Farmer, and Casual Boomer
    October 21, 2020
    Last edited by LynnK2015; October 21st, 2020 at 05:50 PM.
    Humbly playing my part to recruit new Clashers.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post12707285

Quote Originally Posted by mmmaka3m View Post
    My opinion:

We don't have it because:

1) there might be some situations when it could be abused or misused.

2) the thread you make, might be also a topic someone else wanted to look for or comment on later. Closing it will force others with similar topic/idea/question/etc. to make a new thread instead of commenting on an existing thread.

3) it requires giving all users a permission that is not available for public (maybe it is with some vBulletin plugins, but Supercell will not add any more plugins to the forum). IMO mods should be the judge and make the call for closing or not closing a thread.

4) I wonder why we need/should have this option?

PS: you're signature might be true, you're opinion is controversial

PPS: if you want to close your thread, just simply ask a mod (reporting it with an explanation might be a good way to let them know).
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    Before I answer your question, I would like more information. As a poster who started multiple threads in various subforums, why do you want the ability to close your own threads? Thank you.

---
    Lynn, Casual Clasher, Casual Farmer, and Casual Boomer
    October 21, 2020
    i wasnt saying i WANT to close my threads i was just wondering my its a strictly mod ability.

if i wanted this to be a tihng i would have put it under feat reqs
    Last edited by chilepepper101; October 21st, 2020 at 06:11 PM.

played clash of clans for 3 years...or was it 4? Signature courtesy of terminus prime and his shop

my main account: https://www.clashofstats.com/players...0LCC2P/summary
    my second account: https://www.clashofstats.com/players...LVR22VJLJ/army

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    i wasnt saying i WANT to close my threads i was just wondering my its a strictly mod ability.

if i wanted this to be a tihng i would have put it under feat reqs
    Thank you for clarifying that you don't want to close your threads. Your most recent post will supersede the OP in which you wondered why "we can't" close our own threads.

IMO, only Supercell Staff and forum moderators should have the power to close threads and restrict our speech. If we want threads to be closed, then I'd like to suggest we contact a forum moderator and make the request.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; October 21st, 2020 at 07:15 PM.

Lets say that a member post a thread in with a innapropriate link. then the guy takes it off after 20 people have seen the thread but no coc moderators were notinformed or did not see the thread in time. Then the perpetrator does it again and yet he repeats everything. I think that is 1 bad thing of having people close their threads

Quote Originally Posted by rusherford View Post
    Lets say that a member post a thread in with a innapropriate link. then the guy takes it off after 20 people have seen the thread but no coc moderators were notinformed or did not see the thread in time. Then the perpetrator does it again and yet he repeats everything. I think that is 1 bad thing of having people close their threads
    If an inappropriate post is made and nothing is done because no one informed the moderators about it, the forum community has failed itself by its inaction. Always report inappropriate posts, but let the mods determine the final outcome. They will take the necessary action to ensure it doesn’t happen again as best they can.

Quote Originally Posted by toofinedog View Post
    If an inappropriate post is made and nothing is done because no one informed the moderators about it, the forum community has failed itself by its inaction. Always report inappropriate posts, but let the mods determine the final outcome. They will take the necessary action to ensure it doesn’t happen again as best they can.
    Indeed, we play our parts as members of this vibrant community by reporting inappropriate behavior when we see it, IMHO.

Thank you fellow forumites and forum moderators for doing your part in keeping our community safe, orderly, and functional at a high level.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; October 21st, 2020 at 08:58 PM.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rusherford View Post
    That is not all that likely.

Closed threads are still visible to everybody, so will be reported at some point - even deleted posts are still visible to moderators, they are only logically deleted. And we can also see previous versions of edited posts.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Well your initial premise (thread owners) is not one we recognise, and that is probably the main reason that isn't allowed, though it stems back to long before I became a moderator.

Nobody "owns" a thread as far as we are concerned. All threads, once made, are open for all to post in, and should remain so unless breaking forum rules or clearly heading that way.

So not only can members not close their "own" threads, but we also have a rule that we do not close threads or posts on request. That is not to say we never will, but there has to be good reason given before we do so.