Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Please change the policies on clan chat!

Forum Superstar
    The banned player is told when trying to login why they were banned. There are threads from players saying so.

As Darian said they will give warnings for just swearing but I'm sure they will not give indefinite warnings and will temp ban after X many. So it's possible that your player has been warned but just did not care.

If the last was for 2 weeks then the next might be even longer, so it might be beneficial for that player to speak the words out loud at home and not type it in chat or it could be the last thing they type.
    Last edited by Tollboothwillie; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:43 PM.

No need to be offensive just to be offensive. On the other hand, the world is what it is so donít get offended by someone elseís words.

(Some representatives and lobbyists are trying to change laws in the US state of California so that pedophiles can legally have relationships with underage individuals-this sickens and offends me-yet what can I do except vote and speak out. When does my opinion become so marginalized that I am labeled a Ďhater against pedophilesí if these in CA are successful? Ten years? Five years? Who decides what is or isnít Ďhate-speechí? The answer is the game-owners decide on the game platforms, but you see my point that these definitions are moving targets and subjective to societal changes).

My point, err on the side of free speech as long as it is respectful and emotions kept within reason. Reasoned individuals should be allowed to discuss any topic. Other adults should speak up and intervene if the topic is becoming too emotionally charged. Furthermore adults can be an example to kids inside chat. I had no problem engaging trolls and disrespectful players on global nor in clan chat.

Itís not my game. I just play it. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion here.

Forum Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades8 View Post
    And this is where it comes down to a judgement call by whatever support rep gets the report, with no context, no understanding of those involved, and (as Doom2u mentioned, which is a pretty good point) might be handled by someone whose first language might not be the same as what's involved (leaving lots of room for errors in interpretation). I'm not blaming support though...they have a tough job being put in that position, but in my opinion, if leaders were able to police their own clan chats, it would spare them alot of headaches.

Now I know this is all hearsay now, but I very active in my clan chat and contrary to what some of the people posting in this thread are assuming, the things that were said definitely were not hate speech or threats of violence and were things that have been said in clan chat a hundred times in the past. Our clan was formed a couple of months after Clash was initially released. The people who got banned have been there for just as long. We've always done our best to keep our clan adult only because of conversations that aren't kid friendly, but as PrincessKeys mentioned, people lie about their age to get into an established clan. We just want to talk freely amongst ourselves. But with any clan, we need to recruit new people to keep alive as people drop off. And all it takes is someone to come in and start to plan their fun report/ban game. That kind of behavior is more toxic, imo, and they are being enabled by the results they get in our clan and many others.

And aside from the policy change I am asking for, the system needs work in general. The banned user doesn't know what they did wrong. The clanmates who did nothing wrong are sometimes also punished by losing wars when a banned user appears to vanish. And the reporter sees results, feels more entitlement, and is more likely to report again instead of just finding another clan that is more appropriate to them.

Please, aside from obvious hate (racism or whatever) or violence, let clans police themselves. Anyone who is offended or just plain doesn't like someone in the clan can easily fix the problem for themselves by finding another clan to be in or enabling the clan chat filter. It doesn't have to come down to anonymous bans.
    Perhaps you missed Darians first response or donít quite understand the legalities involved. SC must enforce its chat policies as they are in order to keep the 13+ rating. They are legally required to do this and could face stiff penalties if they donít. I doubt SC wants their game labeled as 18+ or adults only or whatever. I donít mean to come off as condescending as I can empathize with your issues. Itís a shame that trolls are reporting players for fun. Hopefully you never have to deal with this again.

i think the best you can do is just say in the clan description that its strictly adult. i know from experience that there will always be that one kid that comes in the clan and reports everyone for saying "poop". i would take a few seconds to clarify to newly joined players that they should expect crude language or the such and if they cant handle it to please join another clan. this usually works for those players who dont take the time to read the clan description. there will still be those players, though. so just try to restrain yourself on the language. so instead of every sentence being "f-this" and "f-that", there can be the occasional "thats f-ing funny". or say freakin.

who me? oh hi! im just that one guy on the corner with some controversial opinions!
    played clash of clans for 3 years...or was it 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Tollboothwillie View Post
    The banned player is told when trying to login why they were banned. There are threads from players saying so.

As Darian said they will give warnings for just swearing but I'm sure they will not give indefinite warnings and will temp ban after X many. So it's possible that your player has been warned but just did not care.

If the last was for 2 weeks then the next might be even longer, so it might be beneficial for that player to speak the words out loud at home and not type it in chat or it could be the last thing they type.
    They are given a general notification. Nothing specific. The banned person in these cases alot of times doesn't know what specifically they did wrong. Not really a "learning experience".

I have never heard of anyone getting a warning.

Yes, the person who got the 2 week ban was banned previously for 2 days. Still not sure who was offended. Again, no hate speech, just the usual heated political and whatever debates with other long time clan members. He's afraid to talk anymore for fear of a perma.

Quote Originally Posted by JD4U View Post
    No need to be offensive just to be offensive. On the other hand, the world is what it is so donít get offended by someone elseís words.
    The world is a crazy place right now, for sure, but that's a whole other topic. My point was that we are trying to have an adults only clan that can say whatever (barring hatespeech, etc.). If that doesn't fit what someone wants in a clan, they can feel free to go to another clan. It doesn't have to come to the point where someone feels like they need to "get" someone by trying for a ban. They have the means to fix it themselves without involving a ban.

(Some representatives and lobbyists are trying to change laws in the US state of California so that pedophiles can legally have relationships with underage individuals-this sickens and offends me-yet what can I do except vote and speak out. When does my opinion become so marginalized that I am labeled a Ďhater against pedophilesí if these in CA are successful? Ten years? Five years? Who decides what is or isnít Ďhate-speechí? The answer is the game-owners decide on the game platforms, but you see my point that these definitions are moving targets and subjective to societal changes).
    YIKES!

My point, err on the side of free speech as long as it is respectful and emotions kept within reason. Reasoned individuals should be allowed to discuss any topic. Other adults should speak up and intervene if the topic is becoming too emotionally charged. Furthermore adults can be an example to kids inside chat. I had no problem engaging trolls and disrespectful players on global nor in clan chat.
    More relaxed is what I was asking for. Or at least allow us to remedy the issue of an offended person on our own. Less work for Supercell. More transparency for the rest of the clan to know what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdome757 View Post
    I donít mean to come off as condescending as I can empathize
    Oh no, not condescending at all... lol

Perhaps you missed me responding his response?

It doesn't matter anyway. In addition to his response, they have already given an answer by moving this thread into obscurity. I understand the policies and legal ramifications, but there are different ways to handle these kinds of bans.

Quote Originally Posted by chilepepper101 View Post
    i think the best you can do is just say in the clan description that its strictly adult. i know from experience that there will always be that one kid that comes in the clan and reports everyone for saying "poop". i would take a few seconds to clarify to newly joined players that they should expect crude language or the such and if they cant handle it to please join another clan. this usually works for those players who dont take the time to read the clan description. there will still be those players, though. so just try to restrain yourself on the language. so instead of every sentence being "f-this" and "f-that", there can be the occasional "thats f-ing funny". or say freakin.
    We do our best to keep our clan to adults. But it isn't always kids, or they lie about their age, and some come in for the sole reason to start trouble for fun. I'm sure it's a fun game for them and Supercell seems happy to enable them. I would think that this kind of behavior should be more what the bans are used for...but hey, that's just me.

But with kids, we are always very nice about it. We usually ask people's age when they come in and if they are underage, I am very nice and let them know that we're adults only and they can't stay. I give them some max troops, maybe some tips on their base, and let them go on their way to another clan.

Oh well, like I said, this seems like a dead topic. I guess some long time players will lose their villages to entitled trolls. Be careful out there.
    Last edited by Hades8; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:01 PM.