Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Please change the policies on clan chat!

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM2U View Post
    Of course it won't change, that doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing. I don't imagine anyone on this forum condones sexist, phobic, or hate speech. Adult players often speak on adult matters. A little smack talk or an occasional four letter word shouldn't be enough to institute a ban. Poor in game support provided by those who are often not sharing the same first language does not help. Different support agents are likely to have different interpretations of given text.
    Although adults often speak on adult matters with adult language, I think we can all agree that it'd be inappropriate to do so in front of children or at a children's venue. Because, as Darian said, the game is rated and marketed to players 13+, the code of conduct has to be in line with 13+ players. That's where the standard lies. If you have chat in the game, it has to meet that standard. If you take your chat offline, you only have to meet the standards of whichever service you use.

I understand your desire for a more nuanced approach, but TBH, that worries me more. I'd worry that the time and ability to investigate every report of inappropriate conduct by native speakers who understand all current innuendo and pop references, can discern sarcasm in the printed word, know the true identities of all involved, and who conduct a through investigation to determine when a 4-letter expeletive or insult that violated the 13+ stanard is permissible, would cause Supercell to conclude it's just not worth the hassle. We've already lost global chat due to the problems it created from people who can't meet the game's standards. If requiring everyone to maintain a 13+ standard and having little tolerance for offensive comments that offended someone enough to have been reported in the first place makes it easier to police, I'm all for it.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 21 - 734 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Contact on Groupme

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyFinn View Post
    Although adults often speak on adult matters with adult language, I think we can all agree that it'd be inappropriate to do so in front of children or at a children's venue. Because, as Darian said, the game is rated and marketed to players 13+, the code of conduct has to be in line with 13+ players. That's where the standard lies. If you have chat in the game, it has to meet that standard. If you take your chat offline, you only have to meet the standards of whichever service you use.

For sure people try not to do that...that's why they try to keep out of earshot of children when they want to talk like that or keep children away from where the conversation is. People go to Disneyland or children's sporting events or schools and have these conversations, but keeping away from the children or having the children keep away from them. And let's be fair...when it comes to four letter words, alot of 13+ kids could probably teach some adults some new words haha. But that's beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyFinn View Post
    I understand your desire for a more nuanced approach, but TBH, that worries me more. I'd worry that the time and ability to investigate every report of inappropriate conduct by native speakers who understand all current innuendo and pop references, can discern sarcasm in the printed word, know the true identities of all involved, and who conduct a through investigation to determine when a 4-letter expeletive or insult that violated the 13+ stanard is permissible, would cause Supercell to conclude it's just not worth the hassle. We've already lost global chat due to the problems it created from people who can't meet the game's standards. If requiring everyone to maintain a 13+ standard and having little tolerance for offensive comments that offended someone enough to have been reported in the first place makes it easier to police, I'm all for it.
    IMO, the opposite is just as bad. Support is quick to ban, so report then becomes almost a sure ban because you're right, there's no way anyone wants to spend time or the resources to make an investigation into each report. So it becomes quick...this is a bad word/phrase...this guy is banned. No warning. No quote to let you know why you got banned. No indication to teammates depending on your last war attack.

And then it becomes easily abused for multiple purposes. More leniency has to be given to prevent it. The reporter has options. Join a new clan. Enable clan chat filter. The tools are there so it doesn't have to kick someone out of a game because of some language.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessKeys View Post
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Since it IS the CLAN chat and not any kind of GLOBAL, it would seem that a LOGICAL step would be to contact the LEADER of the clan and get their input on the issue rather than making a guess in the dark about clan workings.
    I like this thought.

Maybe something like having the reports come to the clan leader and then the leader could decide what to do (talking to clanmates / kicks / etc.) and then report to Supercell (for worse offenses like threats/hate speech, etc.) if needed. If the leader does nothing, then the offended player is free to join a new clan. Seems like that would cut down on abuse, let clans deal with their own issues like that, AND save Supercell time/resources dealing with that stuff.

Forum Superstar
    I don't know why everyone assumes that it was a kid, there are plenty of adults who don't like seeing that stuff either. As someone said the 13 yr Olds keep us updated on the lingo.

Reporting clan chat has always been possible its just easier with a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Tollboothwillie View Post
    I don't know why everyone assumes that it was a kid, there are plenty of adults who don't like seeing that stuff either. As someone said the 13 yr Olds keep us updated on the lingo.

Reporting clan chat has always been possible its just easier with a button.
    Oh, it's not just kids for sure. I don't mean to focus on just one aspect. There's lots of scenarios for sure.

I just feel that trolls are using the report button as a weapon because of how easy it is to get someone banned.

If my memory serves, there’s no consensus on the process within SC, as, in HayDay, when a player reports another player, it is shown in the hood(clan) chat.
    As an ex clan leader, I was appalled when clan chat reporting was implemented, and I strictly booted before any report would/could happen on foul language, but that rule was very explicitly given to any new member. This caused some major pains. Now in my retirement home, we just turn down our hearing aids .
    I do not think positively of adding the clan leader in the story, if he/she won’t even know why/for what an unknown member is reported by another unknown (SC actions are notoriously not communicated to any 3rd party).

Quote Originally Posted by Hades8 View Post

I just feel that trolls are using the report button as a weapon because of how easy it is to get someone banned.
    BINGO.

IMO they are not offended by the language, it is just a "sport" to get people banned.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades8 View Post
    13+ kids could probably teach some adults some new words haha. But that's beside the point.
    I know what you mean, although I do kind of consider myself something of a bit of a swearologist. I think we probably share the same vision for the kind of team we want to be part of. I advertise mine as adults-only and I try to hold that line as best I can. We also both understand the challenges that support has, and neither of us can really determine how strict or lenient they are, overall, when you consider all the reports and all the different personnel making those calls.

I have to imagine that some support people might have a different tolerance or understanding than others. The real challenge, though, is that they all begin with a report by another player on the reported player's team who claims to be offended by something somebody else wrote. It has to be difficult to ignore that and decide that someone doesn't have a right to be offended, especially when the language itself would be, in fact, offensive to those 13+.

I don't really have a dog in this chase, though. I've never reported someone for clan chat and I use an offline chat for a lot of my communication, so I can be free with what I say and clear on who I want to see it. I also have a pretty good tolerance for swearing, even if I do have a standard to uphold here on the forum that's different than one I'd use in my own home or among friends. So, I don't want to sound like I think everybody who swears in-game should be banned. I'm only saying that I understand where the standard is and why it's there. Ultimately, the only sure-fire method to not running afoul of a ban for disruptive or inappropriate behavior is to just stay below that line.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 21 - 734 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Contact on Groupme

I find it very hard to believe anyone was banned for saying stupid or idiot as OP suggests. If that’s true, then it never should have happened, but I doubt it did.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    In 2018, Supercell published a video explaining how the Report Button works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKln6fWWrY
    Supercellís CEO on its majority owner Tencent, finding its next hit, and more
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...t-hit-and-more