Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Getting duct tapes/Nail only as bonus

Getting duct tapes/Nail only as bonus

Hello there,
    I would like to ask if someone has ever faced such an issue. My issue is that whenever I get some sort of bonus, I end up with a Nail or a duct tape. My last 17 bonuses have been either a nail or a duct tape. I need a Barn and silo upgrade to keep up with the game.

If I include math here, the probability of this happening is around 1/3¹⁷ which is 1/129,140,163. So are the bonus items evenly distributed? Or is it just a coincidence that I receiving these as bonus.

P.S I'm a new player in Hay Day, So I might not be aware of things which might be too common.
    I'm a noob of this forum....inferiority complex....

Theres various thoughts on this but the one i go with is if you have high amounts of somthing and low amounts of somthing else more often then not you will recieve the one you have high amounts of my way of stopping whats happend to you is i created a mini farm and used that barn to stall all my tools which in turn has helped me keep a even balance of each tool turning up
    yes my english writing skills are rubbish and lacks punctuation i am very well aware of this so please keep all comments and pm clash related all i want to do is chat not be reminded how poor my education is thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrlk View Post
    Theres various thoughts on this but the one i go with is if you have high amounts of somthing and low amounts of somthing else more often then not you will recieve the one you have high amounts of my way of stopping whats happend to you is i created a mini farm and used that barn to stall all my tools which in turn has helped me keep a even balance of each tool turning up
    So that implies the probability of receiving bonuses depends on the amount of the materials you have at that instant, right?

I had a level 28 farm back in 2015, which I had to stop because of some reason, now I have started playing again, but now facing a crisis of Bolts and Planks (though I was able to pull off some crazy deals in the market like, 3x planks, 2x bolts (total: 2 bolt, 4 plank, 13 duct tapes in barn)) and I also had to steal some of the bolts from my older farm to keep up with the game, still it seems that game is inclined towards giving a duct tape.

Today I recieved, 2 nail, 1 duct tape, 1 wooden panel. To be honest, I have recieved only 3 bolts since I have started playing the game. The discrepancy is just absurd right now.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpertSAQ View Post
    Hello there,
    I would like to ask if someone has ever faced such an issue. My issue is that whenever I get some sort of bonus, I end up with a Nail or a duct tape. My last 17 bonuses have been either a nail or a duct tape. I need a Barn and silo upgrade to keep up with the game.

If I include math here, the probability of this happening is around 1/3¹⁷ which is 1/129,140,163. So are the bonus items evenly distributed? Or is it just a coincidence that I receiving these as bonus.

P.S I'm a new player in Hay Day, So I might not be aware of things which might be too common.
    As with some other resource management games, Hay Day is set up so that farmers do not get even drops of premium items. Each farm will have a tendency towards particular items. I envy you; my main farm is always short of nails and duct tape, and has been for over six years!

I think of my main farm as a "wooden" farm, with numerous drops of planks, panels and mallets.

I'm lucky that some members of my neighbourhood need wooden items, and are happy to swap BEMs (barn expansion materials) and SEMs (silo expansion materials) with me, or let me have their surplus stock. I'm more than happy to give away surplus expansion items - my town was fully expanded long ago, but I continue to get drops of TEMs.

A good strategy is to join a neighbourhood, if you haven't already. You can also try "wheating" - growing lots of a quick crop to take advantage of drops that occur when harvesting (but make sure there is space in your barn or they won't drop).

When you are able to get pets, they are a good source of expansion materials when you feed them (again, you need barn space for drops to happen). The town also gives expansion materials for serving town visitors.

Some of those tactics won't be available to you straight away, of course. It's a good thing that the opportunities increase as you move through the game, as the number of EMs needed increases with each expansion!

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Cowslips; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:31 PM.

Hay Day level 191 (main farm) - I have seven others!

What Cowslips. I get a disproportionate amount of screws and bolts. I often have to shop for planks and panels.

I’m in the same boat as cowslips. I get plenty if planks, panels, and mallets but usually lack duct tape, nails, and wood stakes.

All farms are one of 27 types each having a dominant BEM, SEM and LEM type. The EMs drop in a ratio of 57%, 30%, 13%. You do not "get more of what you have" - that's just observational bias and a perpetual myth that wont die.

The bias was set at the design stage:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDPa50bgNg

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin9632 View Post
    All farms are one of 27 types each having a dominant BEM, SEM and LEM type. The EMs drop in a ratio of 57%, 30%, 13%. You do not "get more of what you have" - that's just observational bias and a perpetual myth that wont die.

Indeed, the definite answer from Touko, one of the original members on Team Hay Day.

And current Game Designer Camilla also talked about the drops in 2016 for those who missed it.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...=1#post6724567
    Last edited by LynnK2015; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:21 AM.
    Supercell’s CEO on its majority owner Tencent, finding its next hit, and more
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...t-hit-and-more

Thanks for the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin9632 View Post

If that's the case then I ultimately have to trade with other people who have surplus of items to item they lack in. Well that means the thing that you have surplus is most probably your dominant BEM and SEM? Can you please provide the timestamps to the videos? It is too long to watch.

Does one also receive BEMs more than SEMs or vice versa?
    Last edited by ExpertSAQ; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:56 AM.

The interesting thing is that tape farms need mostly bolts, bolt farms need mostly planks and plank farms need mostly tapes. Also nail farms need screws, screw farms need panels and panel farms need nails. That means the farm with constant spare bolts you'd prefer as a trading partner is not the one who values your tapes the way you'd like.

One really good way to handle it is to trade your surplus tapes not only for bolts, but also for screws. You want to alternate working on silo with working on barn anyway. So your ideal trading partners are a bolt/panel farm to trade your nails for bolts and a plank/screw farm to trade your tapes for screws.

The trade ratio for any BEM:any other BEM is 1:1, SEM:SEM is 1:1 and any BEM:any SEM is 1:3. Never think your tapes value less than bolts. The difference in value between BEMs and SEMs is not because the drop rate of SEMs is higher, but because there are too many farmers around who haven't understood the value of their silo. Their demand influences the law of the EM market.
    Greebie

Willowbrook Farm
    Level 238