Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fair?

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Be A Legend View Post
    Everyone you meet is a person with a lifetime of backstory's. What if a near loved one died because of the virus? Maybe that is why the player reported your name. You must understand that your expierience with Covid might be completely different than another person on this world.

But it will all change. I think people won't be that offended by it anymore in a few years. As others said, it is all about context, we are now in the pandemic.

And I am sure that someone named "Cancer" on CoC WILL be reported.
    It was not me who got reported, we are discussing a case happened to other player who opened this thread.
    But if we take it to personal level i have relatives who died in wars, should i report every "king of war" now?

The name in question is a disease that spreads today, in a year it will probably be gone just like SARS appeared in 2002, was a pandemic and disappeared in 2004, nobody heard about it ever since. There are plenty of pandemics that were in the past far more deadly than COVID.
    It doesn't look like death count is the argument here as well, as wars take the lead by far and yet the most common names in the game have this word as part of the name.

I think the name is fine but apparently some find it offensive. I just wonder if all those who find it offensive shut their ears when they watch the news and shut their eyes when they read newspapers coz today this is probably the most common word in the news.
    There is a fine line between offensive names and unpleasant topics and it seems some people are deeply confused here.
    Last edited by BlackDragonD; September 1st, 2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Leader of Drunken.Hog (#2C2GPL99) friendly fast growing clan.
    Some members have their kids here too, hope we are not too old
    Clan is open 2 days a week, visit us

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonD View Post
    It was not me who got reported, we are discussing a case happened to other player who opened this thread.
    But if we take it to personal level i have relatives who died in wars, should i report every "king of war" now?

The name in question is a disease that spreads today, in a year it will probably be gone just like SARS appeared in 2002, was a pandemic and disappeared in 2004, nobody heard about it ever since. There are plenty of pandemics that were in the past far more deadly than COVID.
    It doesn't look like death count is the argument here as well, as wars take the lead by far and yet the most common names in the game have this word as part of the name.

I think the name is fine but apparently some find it offensive. I just wonder if all those who find it offensive shut their ears when they watch the news and shut their eyes when they read newspapers coz today this is probably the most common word in the news.
    There is a fine line between offensive names and unpleasant topics and it seems some people are deeply confused here.
    Again, I don't care if someone is named COVID, but to continue with your example, I know of no one impacted by SARS, but I know a lot of people really severely negatively impacted by COVID. Thus, I don't find it surprising at all that more people are offended by someone naming themselves COVID than SARS. I suspect some might think both names are inappropriate.

As far as hearing it in the news, I don't see how that is relevant. I can think of all sorts of words I hear in the media daily that I would find totally inappropriate for an in-game name.
    Last edited by 2222; September 1st, 2020 at 02:07 PM.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.

Forum Elder

It is about context and timeliness.

I have had people close to me die in accidents, wars and most recently from covid. Do i watch the news or read the papers for enjoyment or to be informed? When i do, I expect to see words like accident, war and covid there. When I play a game, I am doing it for diversion from the real world.

Is naming your clan or your base Covid offensive? Right now, yes. At very least it shows a level of insensitivity that is hard to fathom. Would anyone think it is ok to walk into a room full of folks recovering from gunshot wounds and yell “OMG he has a gun”? Covid is too fresh in folks minds right now and for the present at least is hurtful and unnecessary. Not hard to understand at all.
    OP Defense: Any defense the poster doestít like or know how to work around, nullifies their attack or denies them their rightful three star.

Belgium, a beautiful town. Here, you can find the best Fries, chocolate, beer and waffles ever!
    Ok, I misunderstood that.

But you don't get the point of what I am trying to explain. YOU, are not HE, or SHE, or anyone else in this world. Yes it is 2020, and yes, some people do get offended pretty quickly, but we will have to deal with it.

What I don't get is why someone would name him/herself covid-19. The only things I see in that are ignorance, offend, or "just making up a name real quick"...
    Through action, a man becomes a hero.
    Through death, a hero becomes a legend.
    Through time, a legend becomes a myth and by learning from the myth, a man takes action.
    https://i.imgur.com/28jp4pU.jpg
    Thank you DragonX101 for this great signature picture!

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #35
    It really doesn’t matter one bit whatsoever what you (or I for that matter) think on such subjects.
    These things are judgement calls made by SC, it’s their game, their rules and they decide what they will and will not allow.

You completely ignore the reasons why people play games. People generally play games for fun, entertainment, to forget about their every lives and worries for a second. Just like people do other activities to take their mind of things like go on vacation or watch a movie. So when something is sensitive like this it has no business being someone’s username.

People who create such usernames generally do this to cause provocation an they full well know what they did. Choices have consequences and as I said earlier in this thread. It doesn’t matter if all those others aren’t caught for speeding but if you’re caught you better be prepared to pay the fine and don’t whine.

Furthermore you don’t tell people when others should feel offended or not. That’s not up to you (or me).
    Easy huh, pointing the finger towards other. Maybe you should have a look in the mirror and just think about how clueless it sounds when judging whether others should feel offended about something or not. It’s a real dangerous thing.

Anywho, thanks to such posts this thread simply cannot end well. Official responses have been given already and there’s little to add or be discussed.
    Last edited by Kaptain Kat; September 1st, 2020 at 02:57 PM.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    It really doesn’t matter one bit whatsoever what you (or I for that matter) think on such subjects.
    These things are judgement calls made by SC, it’s their game, their rules and they decide what they will and will not allow.

You completely ignore the reasons why people play games. People generally play games for fun, entertainment, to forget about their every lives and worries for a second. Just like people do other activities to take their mind of things like go on vacation or watch a movie. So when something is sensitive like this it has no business being someone’s username.

People who create such usernames generally do this to cause provocation an they full well know what they did. Choices have consequences and as I said earlier in this thread. It doesn’t matter if all those others aren’t caught for speeding but if you’re caught you better be prepared to pay the fine and don’t whine.

Furthermore you don’t tell people when others should feel offended or not. That’s not up to you (or me).
    Easy huh, pointing the finger towards other. Maybe you should have a look in the mirror and just think about how clueless it sounds when judging whether others should feel offended about something or not. It’s a real dangerous thing.

Anywho, thanks to such posts this thread simply cannot end well. Official responses have been given already and there’s little to add or be discussed.

But...but...but MOOOOOOOM. I wanna argue more to show them how much more wrong they are! My wife is completely unsurprised by that statement.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    But...but...but MOOOOOOOM. I wanna argue more to show them how much more wrong they are! My wife is completely unsurprised by that statement.
    Hahahahha, whereís that good someoneís wrong on the internet meme when you need it

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #38
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #39
    Hah thatís the one, itís so fitting in so many cases.