Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fair?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonD View Post
    Exactly, its cheap hypocritical stuff.
    WAY more people died from wars than will ever die from COVID-19.
    WAY more died from black plague than will ever die from COVID-19.
    WAY more died from simple heart attack than will ever die from COVID-19.
    and the list goes on and on...

Seems to me someone in support made a BIG mistake. i suggest you open a ticket give the right arguments as they are in this thread and demand your name changed back!
    There are no right arguments to give, and nor did support make any mistake.

And the instances you gave are utterly irrelevant, and not in the slightest bit hypocritical.

As has already been pointed out above, they do NOT act proactively. They only change names when those names get reported to them.

If nobody has reported those names listed, then they will remain in the game.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    As Ajax has mentioned, we do not proactively search for names that we deem offensive. Given how many millions of players there are, and the infinite ways someone could spell something (CoVID, C0v1D, koviid, etc.) it would require a team of dozens of agents, proactively searching 24 hours a day, every day and even then they still wouldn't find every possible iteration of a single word. Now multiply that by how many other potentially offensive names there could be and their different variants. Coming up with a filter to prevent every offensive name is just as impossible for the same reason: for as many different ways we could prevent a word, there are always nearly infinite more ways of bypassing it with alternate spellings. Though many common ones like swear words, hate speech, are preemptively blocked.

That is why we, and pretty much nearly every game company, have to do this reactively. Meaning, we rely on player reports. The downside is that we won't catch every naming violation if it isn't reported, but the rules are fairly applied when they are reported. It just requires players to report the name. It is nothing about being "easily offended" or "political correctness" nor is it the effort of an over-zealous support agent. If a name is reported that is deemed offensive, it is changed and those rules apply to everyone.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    There are no right arguments to give, and nor did support make any mistake.
    And this based on what?

They only change names when those names get reported to them.
    There must be more to it, not every reported name is changed.

If nobody has reported those names listed, then they will remain in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    That is why we, and pretty much nearly every game company, have to do this reactively. Meaning, we rely on player reports.
    The explanations above still miss the point completely. Of course searching for offensive names proactively is not feasible, of course names which were never reported will not be changed.

Let me ask it in a different way, perhaps it will be more clear:
    HOW exactly a name deemed offensive?
    Why name of 1 virus is offensive while names of other viruses are not?

I really don't see the logic in this specific name change.
    Leader of Drunken.Hog (#2C2GPL99) friendly fast growing clan.
    Some members have their kids here too, hope we are not too old
    Clan is open 2 days a week, visit us

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24

Let me ask it in a different way, perhaps it will be more clear:
    HOW exactly a name deemed offensive?

As in all judgment decisions, it is completely about context. Were we in the middle of an Ebola outbreak, then that is something that would be deemed as insensitive and likely to be changed. But context is everything. We are in the middle of a global pandemic, where not only are we dealing with a large number of deaths but also the politicized battles that are waging around it as well. Because of this, these things don't belong in our game. I'm not entirely sure how that's difficult to understand. This isn't something that's up for debate.
    AKA Tank Puppy

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Fresh Spawn
    All companies intend that the word coronavirus is only used in an informative context.
    Last edited by Gajed55; September 1st, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

It's really disturbing to me why anyone would name their base, village or farm after a virus that continues to destroy the lives and livelihoods of millions of people around the world. I really don't get the rationale here.

Thank you TerMinus for the Sig!
    Thank you Legend for the Avatar!

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajed55 View Post
    All companies intend that the word coronavirus is only used in an informative context.
    Or perhaps given the context, it simply doesn't belong in-game when it's clearly being used to be edgy or inflammatory. I can see zero valid reasons why there would be an "informative" context for someone to name their village that.
    AKA Tank Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by ZikaVirus2020 View Post
    People are just hyper offended by anything these days. My forum name and in game name have been the Zika virus. One deadly disease is offensive but one is not.
    One is global news, and affecting everyone.. Many wont be aware of the other.. Insensitivity and awareness would lead to offence, for those affected in whatever shape or form..

But since you highlighted another possible candidate, lets hope there isnt a widespread outbreak..
    Otherwise The Goblin wont offer the same impact when posting

Belgium, a beautiful town. Here, you can find the best Fries, chocolate, beer and waffles ever!
    Exactly, its cheap hypocritical stuff.
    WAY more people died from wars than will ever die from COVID-19.
    WAY more died from black plague than will ever die from COVID-19.
    WAY more died from simple heart attack than will ever die from COVID-19.
    and the list goes on and on...

Seems to me someone in support made a BIG mistake. i suggest you open a ticket give the right arguments as they are in this thread and demand your name changed back!
    Everyone you meet is a person with a lifetime of backstory's. What if a near loved one died because of the virus? Maybe that is why the player reported your name. You must understand that your expierience with Covid might be completely different than another person on this world.

But it will all change. I think people won't be that offended by it anymore in a few years. As others said, it is all about context, we are now in the pandemic.

And I am sure that someone named "Cancer" on CoC WILL be reported.
    Last edited by Be A Legend; September 1st, 2020 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZikaVirus2020 View Post
    I guess it has more to do with the current situation because I’m sure you’d be okay if your username was Polio or Black Plague.

You just have to wait 6-12 months and then coronavirus will be okay. Crazy how that works.
    It isn't crazy, though, it makes sense as noted here:

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgirl View Post
    Probably thousands of COC players haven’t had a family member or friend DIE of zika virus either. And zika virus isn't what's caused millions of people to lose jobs and businesses and many people to have mental health challenges. And it’s not the #1 health pandemic affecting the entire world in a century, as we speak.

I haven’t yet been personally been affected, thankfully, but it doesn’t take Mother Teresa to have the smallest degree of empathy for those who have.

I don’t thing it’s offensive either, that’s not the right word. But it certainly shows a complete and total cluelessness for the grief or suffering of others. It's SC's game; if they want to keep the experience as an escape for their player base, their call!
    Yep, that is the answer. It surprises me that some find it hard to understand why a virus more likely to be currently impacting players is found by more people to be offensive than a virus that is unlikely to be impacting many players currently in any way.

Read the post above, it makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure why this is surprising or confusing. I'm not offended by the name, but I do know a lot of people impacted very severely by COVID. I know no one impacted by black plague. It is pretty clear why COVID is more likely to offend current players.
    Last edited by 2222; September 1st, 2020 at 01:57 PM.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. Click here to see how war map placement of max halls is determined. An idea to improve legends here. I wish max players had a separate loot bank as described here. Caution, I often discuss for the sake of discussion and enjoy having my opinion challenged (or approved of) even when I care little about the actual issue. My balance wish: get rid of tornado trap, make it a decoration.