Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Increase the 10 star reward for winning a Clan War round

  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaledonian View Post
    It's possible to do a 6 Nations slam & lose the title.

    Five 4 point wins nets 20; 4 bonus point wins & bonus point loss gets 21 points.

    It's even possible for a team to do a slam with 2 bonus point wins & still lose! It's rare, but you can pick up 2 bonus points for a loss; lose by less than 7 & get a try bonus. So a team could hit 22 points even with a loss & take the title on score difference.

    Highly improbable, but definitely possible!
    They actually changed the system to prevent this, by giving 3 extra points for the grand slam.

    But it is certainly still possible in most club level rugby leagues, to win all matches but not win the league.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    There are some minor similarities, but no it is not the same.

    And if you have managed to do that twice, sorry, but that says a lot about your attacking abilities. It can happen, but does so extremely infrequently. You have to have actually scored at least 10 fewer stars (not counting win bonuses) than the clan who won.

    But the point here is that CWL position is not based on wins, but rather on stars. SC added the 10 star bonus so there would be some benefit in winning wars, but they specifically did NOT want wins to be the determining factor.

    If they had wanted wins to be a determining factor, then position would have been based on wins, with stars as a tiebreaker, rather than being based on stars, with damage as a tiebreaker.
    Not asking for wins to be the determining factor but it should absolutely play more of an important part than it currently seems to in a 30v30 match. Essentially we lost those 2 leagues because we did beat the lower teams as badly as the other 2 teams. That doesnít feel right to me. Itís like playing the premier league and awarding it on goals scored

  3. #13
    Forum Hero Piper139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by dommie1986 View Post
    Not asking for wins to be the determining factor but it should absolutely play more of an important part than it currently seems to in a 30v30 match. Essentially we lost those 2 leagues because we did beat the lower teams as badly as the other 2 teams. That doesn’t feel right to me. It’s like playing the premier league and awarding it on goals scored
    I would be fine either way as sometimes it has helped us, like this round where we finished above a clan that won one more war, or hurt us. The rules are the same for everyone. There are two objectives, win wars and maximize stars. We are in masters 3 30v30. We do a lot of having our low bases look for high ones that they can snipe a star or two letting our higher bases dip with better chance of 3. Takes coordination but it gets good results. Now if we could cure our tendency to have one war per league week where we get the one star plague. Cost us a win against the team we placed above on stars.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dommie1986 View Post
    Not asking for wins to be the determining factor but it should absolutely play more of an important part than it currently seems to in a 30v30 match. Essentially we lost those 2 leagues because we did beat the lower teams as badly as the other 2 teams. That doesn’t feel right to me. It’s like playing the premier league and awarding it on goals scored
    This game considers stars the deciding factor in cwl. It doesn't matter how many different types of sporting events or games you try and compare them with, they are not this game. The fact that it happened twice to your clan should tell you that your not maximizing your stars. You have even stated not all of your players attacked so that's one issue you need resolved.

  5. #15
    Forum All-Star joshsgrandad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    NE England, UK.
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by dommie1986 View Post
    Not asking for wins to be the determining factor but it should absolutely play more of an important part than it currently seems to in a 30v30 match. Essentially we lost those 2 leagues because we did beat the lower teams as badly as the other 2 teams. That doesn’t feel right to me. It’s like playing the premier league and awarding it on goals scored
    And if they based the Premier league on goals scored, or goal difference, then that is how the league table would be formatted.
    For cwl, they chose stars as the primary factor, so stars is how it plays out.
    They did want some recognition for a win, hence the 10 star win bonus, but accumulated stars is determinate.

    Sure, its unfortunate to win all 7 and miss out, but strategy can differ dependant on requirements.
    Your problem primarily lies with a rigid mirror attack strategy..
    History is showing that although you can win the day that way, those dropped stars come at an expense.
    Obviously, others are scoring way more when facing the lesser clans in the group.

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dommie1986 View Post
    Not asking for wins to be the determining factor
    Yes you are.

    That is exactly what it means, when you say it should not be possible to win all 7 and not finish first.

    but it should absolutely play more of an important part than it currently seems to in a 30v30 match.
    I can see an argument that it could be raised a bit for 30v30, but not as much as you would like.

    Essentially we lost those 2 leagues because we did beat the lower teams as badly as the other 2 teams. That doesn’t feel right to me. It’s like playing the premier league and awarding it on goals scored
    No, because the Premier league is based on points for wins (and draws), not on goals.

    CWL is not based on wins.

    There is no point comparing it to professional physical sporting competitions, because it is not similar in any meaningful way to those.

  7. #17
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    They actually changed the system to prevent this, by giving 3 extra points for the grand slam.

    But it is certainly still possible in most club level rugby leagues, to win all matches but not win the league.
    Wasn't aware of the change, thanks for the lesson.

    I do recall a few years back that there was a serious possibility of it happening.

  8. #18
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    2,537
    A case could be made for all three metrics in CWL.

    I do 7 wars and win all 7 but my star count is 50 per so 420 with 7 wins. Another team could win 6 wars with a star count of 60 and lose the final war with a star count of 60 so 480. Which is better?

    I could lose all wars by scoring 30 99% 2 stars so star count of 420. My opponents could lose all wars with a star count of 421 but a destruction % of 85%. If only % destruction was important, which team is better?

    You could use wins, you could use stars, you could use % destruction. SC has decided that star count is the determinant of which team is better. It is neither wrong nor right but it is what it is and it is the same for everyone. Sounds fair to me.
    OP Defense: Any defense the poster doestít like or know how to work around, nullifies their attack or denies them their rightful three star.

  9. #19
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Yes you are.

    That is exactly what it means, when you say it should not be possible to win all 7 and not finish first.



    I can see an argument that it could be raised a bit for 30v30, but not as much as you would like.



    No, because the Premier league is based on points for wins (and draws), not on goals.

    CWL is not based on wins.

    There is no point comparing it to professional physical sporting competitions, because it is not similar in any meaningful way to those.
    Just to add, there's no way to be certain any given league would pan it the same way if wins were the primary criterion.

    You can't look back and say we should've won because some clans would change their focus if wins were the be all & end all.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    245
    Apparently this question has to be asked almost every CWL with the exact same answers every time.

    Perhaps next time the OP should go look in and post in last months thread on the topic.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •