Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Frustrated about gameplay

Frustrated about gameplay

Hello,

I'm so damned frustrated about Hayday, I've got to write this thread. I mean, I love the game, it's great, but there are some really mean points in it. I can understand, that you want to earn some money with it, and I'm willing to pay, but it should be relatively and fair. I think, it should be possible, to play fluently with spending 5,- or 10,- € a month. I mean even [game name redacted by Forum Moderator] costs 11,- to 13,- € a month and this game is so much bigger than Hayday.
    The higher you get in the level, the more you need from everything, tools, enlargement of the farm and town, products for derby and ship and so on. But you still only get 25 warehouse places more when you improve it. That can't work. Why isn't there the possibility to get more of the good stuff by playing? Better and more rewards in derby and valley, more dropping of good tools, more events where you can get some. When the warehouse is full it's almost impossible to play, it's only annoying and frustrating.
    Another point is, that you don't get a thank you letter for every time you help someone. You get only up to 7 a day and even those don't come completely. It feels like you only get maybe 60% or something like that. That a completely No-Go.
    Than the fishing area. It's just not possible to get enough of the products there when you play a lot because producing traps and fishing lures takes far to long and there is no way to improve it substantially.
    And why can't you collect puzzle pieces for only one animal first. The way it is like now, you need half a year or more to get only one more animal.

I really think, you should improve these point when you want to keep the people in the game. I'm shortly before quitting it. Have you ever thought about a subscription model? A way to pay a fair price a month and get a balanced game for it? Would be great!
    Last edited by Cowslips; July 7th, 2020 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Forum rule 6

Oh my dear Fusselhirn. It sounds as if you are smack bang in the middle of the ‘hay day harangue’. The “(not so) sweet spot” between the really easy first levels and the very manageable upper levels. So somewhere between levels 30 - 85 I’m guessing.

If you continue playing and make a few adjustments it will get easier. You’re probably trying to do everything and get everything that the game is offering you right now. Don’t. Drop something for now. Don’t do boats or don’t do trucks or leave the town expansion for later. Delay other smaller things until later.

Then concentrate on doing something designed to give you a good base going forward. So farm and sell goods to make it to five million coins; or decide that you’ll fully expand the sugar and feed machines, or the barn and silo three times, before buying another machine.

The frustration is frustrating 😉 I know but look at it as a tool to get you to the “management” part of the game which is the whole game really.

And have fun.
    Last edited by BostonGirl; July 7th, 2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Error

Once your barn/silo reach size 1000, every upgrade will bring +50 new space instead of +25. Its not THAT bad then.
    The game was designed to be played for years, like 5+ years for some today. Just relax and hang on, better times for you will come.
    You dont HAVE to fill every boat, every truck, serve every townie. Do what you can and ignore those you can't fill. Help your friends and ask to be helped, it's a social game. Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by BULIGO; July 7th, 2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BULIGO View Post
    Once your barn/siilo reach size 1000, every upgrade will bring +50 new space instead of +25. Its not THAT bad then.
    Thanks for the info, that sounds good 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by BostonGirl View Post
    Oh my dear Fusselhirn. It sounds as if you are smack bang in the middle of the ‘hay day harangue’. The “(not so) sweet spot” between the really easy first levels and the very manageable upper levels. So somewhere between levels 30 - 85 I’m guessing.

If you continue playing and make a few adjustments it will get easier. You’re probably trying to do everything and get everything that the game is offering you right now. Don’t. Drop something for now. Don’t do boats or don’t do trucks or leave the town expansion for later. Delay other smaller things until later.

Then concentrate on doing something designed to give you a good base going forward. So farm and sell goods to make it to five million coins; or decide that you’ll fully expand the sugar and feed machines, or the barn and silo three times, before buying another machine.

The frustration is frustrating 😉 I know but look at it as a tool to get you to the “management” part of the game which is the whole game really.

And have fun.
    Well, okay. I'm level 54 now, that's true. But what kind of game is it, if you need to play 85 (!) level before it's getting better? I mean it's almost the whole part of the game, where new stuff comes. And if you can't buy a production building when you get it (and therefore can't serve request for these products) because you can't get spaces in the barn? I don't play everything, only town and derby, events sometimes and the ship only if you get a puzzle piece and a little bit of valley when it's there. I don't do trucks, you level to quickly if you do it and can never afford the new buildings than. The game is simply not balanced at all and that's no fun. And it's not like a PC game, where you can do the leveling within a week or so. It took me 4 month to get from level 40 to 54 and I play almost every day. How long am I supposed to play until level 85?
    Well, apart from that thanks for your answer, a least it's a ray of hope that one day it will be better 😅

Still, I would like to know, what Supercell has to say about it. Play two years until it's not annoying anymore is no answer really.
    Last edited by Fusselhirn; July 7th, 2020 at 12:56 PM.

Suppose you could say that's the challenge of the game 🤔 and definitely what kept me hooked.
    I'm not you but, this is what I did. I chose ONE area to develop... For me that was town (because town gives drops)... I also prioritised what I was going to expand. For me it was...barn... I didn't do anything else... Not boats, not trucks.
    And I would do exactly the same this time around too, irrespective of puzzle pieces. Despite the debilitating daily limit...

Didn't do the derby either. Shock horror.

I literally just filled orders in town, worked to get all slots on all buildings open... On all machines open, and sold any surplus to make coin...

It was a juggle and a struggle but, it DOES eventually pay off and it needn't take years.
    Certainly didn't take me anywhere near that.

If you place emphasis on growing your barn, at your level you can get away with ignoring silo for a spell... If you focus on opening as many slots on machines and buildings as possible, you will see the difference in both coin and item drops.
    Make sure to have the fishing area on your "to do" list cos there's diamonds to pick up there, once you get your fishing book going.

And if you don't try and upgrade town buildings until you have grown your barn, you might actually find, you're having fun... I HATED this game in the early days... Nearly quit in my 40s lol... I found the challenge too demanding BUT the challenge of it all is what initially grabs you... And keeps you logging in.

Once you have room to breathe in your barn you can start doing more (silo, upgrade of town buildings etc) and you can start to jump levels. During xp events I would jump several levels because by then, I'd started to build up my barn and had space for stock.

The secret of this game, for me, was in growing my barn. After that everything else fell into place.
    Give the game a chance
    Kik: Stinky_and_The_Brain
    Recruitment Thread:https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...0#post12058790

Okay, but please can you tell me, how to grow the barn? I mean, I try it all the time but this is exactly the problem. You just don't get enough tape to do so. I play and hope that some tape drops, I stupidly search the newspaper every day and try to get some, but it's never enough. Tell me your secret 😅 I mostly play town as well and it helps indeed but still.
    Last edited by Fusselhirn; July 7th, 2020 at 04:55 PM.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusselhirn View Post
    Okay, but please can you tell me, how to grow the barn? I mean, I try it all the time but this is exactly the problem. You just don't get enough tape to do so. I play and hope that some tape drops, I stupidly search the newspaper every day and try to get some, but it's never enough. Tell me your secret 
    I hope I can make some suggestions that might help.

As you've noticed, there are areas of the game that appear unbalanced. That is actually deliberate - like you, my main farm has a shortage of tape. It always has since I started playing over 6 years ago! Each farm has one expansion item that drops less frequently than others - my silo is always short of nails too. I always have plenty of planks, panels and mallets.

Having the game set up that way increases the challenge, and keeps many long-term players interested.

So, how to deal with a lack of tape? For me, the best way is to join a good neighbourhood. I have one hoodie who is always in need of planks, but has plenty of tape, so we swap. Other hoodies are always willing to help each other when we get close to expanding a building.

The barn will continue to need managing. Although mine now has a capacity of 7750, it will need 174 of each of the barn expansion materials (BEMs) to upgrade, and I will gain just 50 spaces! I choose to use a layaway system, when I "bank" one of the BEMs. When I have 173 planks I'll spend 8 diamonds to bank them, and that will instantly give me 173 spaces in my barn. I then do similar with bolts, banking them when I have one less than the required amount.

The layaway system doesn't suit everyone, but I mention it to show that there are various tactics that can be used to manage resources.

I love using the town, as serving the townies gives good drops, but I never mind sending one away if they ask for something outrageous!

Hay Day is a game without an endpoint. I've played many games over the years and never found another that has engaged me for so long. My focus and aims have changed over the years, but I love the social element of being in a hood, and being a part of the forum.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Cowslips; July 7th, 2020 at 04:50 PM.

Hay Day level 187 (main farm) - I have seven others!

Thanks for your answer 🙂 I'm sorry, but I don't get what you mean by banking the items (I'm German, maybe my English isn't good enough). Do you mean spending some diamonds when you only need one or two more items to improve the barn? Of course I do so but that's what I mean. You needed to spend a lot of diamonds to get along without stress. I mean, don't get me wrong, of course it's good to have a challenge to get all the items you need and manage the whole thing when it's getting closely, but it should be makeable.
    And once you are there, what about the other points I mentioned above (thank you letters, fishing area, puzzle pieces)?
    Last edited by Fusselhirn; July 7th, 2020 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by udderly View Post
    I HATED this game in the early days... Nearly quit in my 40s lol... I found the challenge too demanding BUT the challenge of it all is what initially grabs you... And keeps you logging in.
    Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one. The 40-levels were like purgatory for me. I've been playing on-and-off for over 6 years and I must've spent 4 of those stuck in the 40s. Those were the years I tried to slog through derbies and boat orders. I had very little money, very slow XP gain, very few buildings, very few fishing spots, and very few production slots. It didn't help either that I let a friend "look" at my game and he blew all of my diamonds and coins. :/