Thread: Finnish Summer Holidays

Finnish Summer Holidays

Hi all,

I must admit, I created a new thread so my message wouldn't get buried in all the other threads going on right now. Just one more ridiculous try to get some replies. SC is a multi-million company. HD is a multi-million player game. Why should players pay attention if or when Finnish people have their summer vacation??
    Only those "few" forumers are so well-informed and even interested in which country this game originated and is still developed in.

After reading ALL of the posts about the derby/price/update disaster and all the other complaints (yes, I read 100's of them starting from 2 days ago) I think it's not worth it anymore. Even the recently discovered "new" diamonds chests don't change that.

Last week's derby prices were just a "visual glitch"? Come on, SC Nick, you should know better than that after all these years... As MANY other have said, SC could at least have waited until after derby ending to fix that one. Or compensate for it. Trust me, people don't care if there's holiday going on in Finland.

It's not about a game needing to gain revenue, it's about the way HOW it does.

@LynnK2015 (and maybe some others, too): First of all, no offense intended whatsoever! You keep the forums going, big THANKS for that! From all I know you're such an optimistic person, I can't believe you still see only the good, not the bad (or at least don't admit it)...

Finally, thanks especially to BostonGirl, BULIGO, Nestof3, ninagrozdanovic and all the others I forgot to mention.

Good Bye!

Yeah, some holidays, with Covid still raging everyehere and all. Jean, don't you dare to kick the bucket, you hear me?
    It IS wort it! One just has to lower it's expectations. Then it becomes...bearable.
    Last edited by BULIGO; July 6th, 2020 at 09:24 PM.

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanAsh View Post
    ...SC is a multi-million company. HD is a multi-million player game. Why should players pay attention if or when Finnish people have their summer vacation??

Only those "few" forumers are so well-informed and even interested in which country this game originated and is still developed in.
    When I started reading the Supercell forums circa 2014, I didn't care about when Finns took their vacations. I started caring when I wanted to learn why Supercell staff wasn't communicating during Julys when players reported issues about their games. It was fascinating to learn how geography and climate affected the cultures of Finland and Supercell.

...@LynnK2015 (and maybe some others, too): First of all, no offense intended whatsoever! You keep the forums going, big THANKS for that! From all I know you're such an optimistic person, I can't believe you still see only the good, not the bad (or at least don't admit it)...
    First of all, no offense taken. If you had read my posts in the past or my posting history, you would know that while I'm an admirer of the Supercell culture, I also commented publicly about their mistakes. For example, I posted previously that the judgement of the person or people who implemented Supercell Automated Support should be placed on probation.

Moreover, I bookmarked and shared the following link to the HD subforum several times already to warn forumites about buying diamonds and not getting them. It shouldn't have to take the involvement of the HD Community Manager and the Player Support Supervisor to resolve an issue which shredded the reputation of Supercell once already!
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...nstructions%21

Apparently, Player Support is incompetent because this issue is recurring, IMHO.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post12320304

---
    Lynn, Clasher, Farmer, and now also Boomer
    July 6, 2020
    Last edited by LynnK2015; July 6th, 2020 at 09:52 PM.
    Thank you Supercell Co-Founder Mikko Kodisoja and good luck on your new adventure.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...ft-the-Company

Quote Originally Posted by BULIGO View Post
    Yeah, some holidays, with Covid still raging everyehere and all. Jean, don't you dare to kick the bucket, you hear me?
    It IS wort it! One just has to lower it's expectations. Then it becomes...bearable.
    I hear you! Lowering expections all the time....

Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    When I started reading the Supercell forums circa 2014, I didn't care about when Finns took their vacations. I started caring when I wanted to learn why Supercell staff wasn't communicating during Julys when players reported issues about their games. It was fascinating to learn how geography and climate affected the cultures of Finland and Supercell.

First of all, no offense taken. If you had read my posts in the past or my posting history, you would know that while I'm an admirer of the Supercell culture, I also commented publicly about their mistakes. For example, I posted previously that the judgement of the person or people who implemented Supercell Automated Support should be placed on probation.

Moreover, I bookmarked and shared the following link to the HD subforum several times already to warn forumites about buying diamonds and not getting them. It shouldn't have to take the involvement of the HD Community Manager and the Player Support Supervisor to resolve an issue which shredded the reputation of Supercell once already!
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...nstructions%21

Apparently, Player Support is incompetent because this issue is recurring, IMHO.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post12320304

---
    Lynn, Clasher, Farmer, and now also Boomer
    July 6, 2020
    I'm afraid, SC culture is not that important anymore. At least that's what I feel. I'm in IT myself.

Customer Support could be (much) better, but that's not the point.

I think I read most of your posts and most of the time, I really enjoy them.
    I really loved the idea, concept and design of HD. Several years to move on/level up/expand, ok. Depending on how many hours to play each day.

They still do a great job on adding/enhancing new crops/machines/products/decos etc.

All the complaints I read about are about forcing players to buy diamonds to advance, much more than it used to be.

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    I'm afraid, SC culture is not that important anymore. At least that's what I feel. I'm in IT myself.
    Supercell culture is important to me because I'd prefer the people who entertain me to enjoy good work-life balance which exists at Supercell. I'm excerpting a post written by Clash of Clans Community Manager Darian about crunch mode at Supercell recently.

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post12542381
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    I've often said in the past, we have no external influence when it comes to game development at Supercell. Each game team is responsible for the content they develop. The game team alone makes all game development decisions. But we're also the ones who have to live with any consequences if something hurts the game.

...We don't do "crunch mode" at Supercell...or at least very rarely. For those unfamiliar with the term, "crunch mode" is when you work a ton of overtime to get a game or update out by a certain deadline. It often includes working ungodly hours every day, including weekends. One game I worked on the past, at another studio, was in crunch mode for 18 months. Working from 9am to 10pm, Monday through Saturday. I saw marriages fall apart, people quit the company, people burned out, or lost objectivity because working on the game was no longer fun. Luckily, Finland believes very much in a work-life balance. This means that work shouldn't be the only thing you focus on. Your family life, your mental health, and your well-being are more important, so it's very rare you see people who work at desk jobs stay at work longer than 8 or 9 hours a day or past 6pm. Being at home to eat dinner with your family, going for a walk, or actually being able to take time off are treasured cultural aspects of Finland. Having worked in the States and Japan where often times there's this idea that "the job itself is the reward" is a cultural norm. In other words, if you have to focus on something other than work then perhaps you don't value the job as much as someone else might and you start feeling like you're going to be replaced.

Even though each game team is small at Supercell, there is a very relaxed culture that if you need to take care of something personal there is nothing stopping you from doing so. Whether it's just an afternoon off to spend extra time by yourself to mentally unwind, or you have some things that need to be taken care of outside of work, it would be unthinkable to say "no you can't do it, your work is more important."

I think I read most of your posts and most of the time, I really enjoy them.
    Thank you for the kind words.

All the complaints I read about are about forcing players to buy diamonds to advance, much more than it used to be.
    Thank you to the players who support the game financially in ways I cannot and will not. To those who feel forced to buy diamonds, please consider buying less or none at all.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; July 7th, 2020 at 03:20 AM.
    Thank you Supercell Co-Founder Mikko Kodisoja and good luck on your new adventure.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...ft-the-Company

Most likely with my nose buried in the DD
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    Supercell culture is important to me because I'd prefer the people who entertain me to enjoy good work-life balance which exists at Supercell.
    i would support a good work-life balance for anyone, not just SC. But what I don’t understand, if there is no crunch mode, is why Team Hay Day continues to roll out updates just before a planned vacation. You can plan, test, and prepare the best u can for a smooth transition, but with any change, there is always the possibility for unexpected issues to arise. In the healthcare field, issues that jeopardize patient health or safety need to be addressed with the highest priority. We would never roll out an update without having dedicated support available. While I realize things may not be translated to the gaming industry with the same level of urgency or support, I still believe if a company really cared about its product, they would make sure they were around to address any issues after an update. Perhaps if the team had been more available to monitor and fix any problems after the summer update, things may have been handled differently. But as I said before, what they do is their decision. What they choose to fix and with what priority is up to them. They’re a company, and obviously for-profit.
    Last edited by QBIE; July 7th, 2020 at 05:39 PM.