Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trap Idea for Town Hall 14: The Spell Vacuum

Shouting "FUS RO DAH" at Dragons on Skuldafn.

Trap Idea for Town Hall 14: The Spell Vacuum

The Spell Vacuum

Building Type: Area: Required Town Hall Level: Maximum Amount:
    Trap (destroyable) 2x2 Tiles 14 2

Thwart your enemies' magical bombardments with the Spell Vacuum!

This ingenious attractor sucks in and snares spells within a certain radius, safely storing them inside its inner chamber. Enemies can destroy the Spell Vacuum to unleash the spells it snares, but if a snared spell remains intact by the end of the battle, it is converted into a nice elixir or dark elixir gift for the defending village's owner.

Level: Health: Range: Spell Housing Space: Building Cost (Gold): Building Time: Required Town Hall:
    1 550 5.5 Tiles 1 2,500,000 1 day 14
    2 565 6 Tiles 2 3,450,000 1.5 days 14
    3 580 6.2 Tiles 2 5,000,000 2 days 14
    4 595 6.5 Tiles 3 6,250,000 3 days 14
    5 610 6.8 Tiles 3 7,500,000 5 days 14
    6 625 7 Tiles 4 8,750,000 7 days 14

How it works:

The Spell Vacuum is a 2x2 trap building that sucks in any spells deployed within its radius. It will remain invisible until troops get close to it, a deployed spell triggers it, or an attacker gets 51% destruction. When a spell is deployed within its radius, the Spell Vacuum reveals itself and sucks it in, preventing the spell's effects from activating and filling up the spell's worth of housing space.

If the Spell Vacuum does not have enough housing space available to store a given deployed spell, the spell will simply be redirected to directly above the Spell Vacuum, and if the Spell Vacuum is full, it cannot suck in any more spells. Destroying a Spell Vacuum with spells in it will automatically trigger the spells' effects as if the spells were deployed on the Spell Vacuum's location. If by some chance a Spell Vacuum sucks in enemy spells and survives a battle with the spells intact, the spells will be converted back into the elixir/dark elixir required to brew them, which the player can then pick up.

The Spell Vacuum's spell-sucking capabilities can be critical in thwarting enemy strategies; for example: a fully upgraded Spell Vacuum can suck up all 4 earthquake spells required to remove a vital chunk of walls, or the rage and haste spells meant to boost an enemy player's balloons.

What do you guys think of the Spell Vacuum? I am willing to tweak its stats to ensure that it is usable, yet balanced.
    Last edited by TheChunkMaster; June 6th, 2020 at 02:05 AM.
    Vex Encryption? Unbreakable? Hah. So they say.

Forum Elder
    ."If the Spell Vacuum does not have enough housing space available to store a given deployed spell, the spell will simply be redirected to directly above the Spell Vacuum..."

Good luck with that, better fish out your asbestos undergarments!

👎 From me.

This is too similar to the lightning rod idea on the ruled out ideas list. Both accomplish the same things by completely negating the spell's effects
    | BK 70 | AQ 70 | GW 48 | RC 14 |

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1027 View Post
    This is too similar to the lightning rod idea on the ruled out ideas list. Both accomplish the same things by completely negating the spell's effects
    Not a complete negation; simply destroy the spell vacuum to trigger the spell, albeit not necessarily where you wanted it to be triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaledonian View Post
    ."If the Spell Vacuum does not have enough housing space available to store a given deployed spell, the spell will simply be redirected to directly above the Spell Vacuum..."

Good luck with that, better fish out your asbestos undergarments!

 From me.
    I could remove that, if it's too unbalanced.

A clarification question to better understand...

The trap itself has a centerpoint (directly above the trap itself at centrepoint). It then has a tile radius from that point (range in your table).

Any spell also has a centrepoint and radius.

Now, think of a venn diagram where the two overlap. My question is: Does the centrepoint of the spell have to be within that radius? If so is the spell fully negated, even that outside the traps radius? Just trying to get a full picture how it works. You stated any spell within the radius, but since a spell also has a radius, the "within" becomes a little unclear.
    Last edited by rowman; June 6th, 2020 at 02:47 PM.

Pretty sure that if the spell radius touches the trap radius, it would get sucked to the center of the trap.

I dislike this idea very much, even more than how I dislike the tornado trap. I don't like randomness domain in strategy games, and something that would change my spell placement I would totally dislike.

Imagine having a haste vacuumed in your Laloon attack
    Or a heal on your hog based attack.

Oh, you're freezing the single Inferno to save your queen charge? VACUUMED.
    Raging troops? Nah, waste two more rages to actually do it and then you will have your two vacuumed rages deployed both at the same time giving you the effect of only one

Basically, no for me. Too much randomness..

Big no from me. Putting these next to single infernos would destroy queen walk and sui royale champ. Also would be too op if you put this near a compartment that is xbow heavy, as a rage would be required so your queen can survive.

Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    A clarification question to better understand...

The trap itself has a centerpoint (directly above the trap itself at centrepoint). It then has a tile radius from that point (range in your table).

Any spell also has a centrepoint and radius.

Now, think of a venn diagram where the two overlap. My question is: Does the centrepoint of the spell have to be within that radius? If so is the spell fully negated, even that outside the traps radius? Just trying to get a full picture how it works. You stated any spell within the radius, but since a spell also has a radius, the "within" becomes a little unclear.
    Sorry if it's a bit vague. The spell would be negated if it its center is within the Spell Vacuum's radius. However, destroying the Spell Vacuum after it sucks the spell in will deploy the spell at the Vacuum's center.

The way I envisioned the Spell Vacuum negating the deployed spells visually was like the Vacuum sucking the spell bottle out of the air as the bottle was falling towards the Earth. Hopefully, that helps it make a little more sense.
    Last edited by TheChunkMaster; June 6th, 2020 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoritosSk View Post
    Pretty sure that if the spell radius touches the trap radius, it would get sucked to the center of the trap.

I dislike this idea very much, even more than how I dislike the tornado trap. I don't like randomness domain in strategy games, and something that would change my spell placement I would totally dislike.

Imagine having a haste vacuumed in your Laloon attack
    Or a heal on your hog based attack.

Oh, you're freezing the single Inferno to save your queen charge? VACUUMED.
    Raging troops? Nah, waste two more rages to actually do it and then you will have your two vacuumed rages deployed both at the same time giving you the effect of only one

Basically, no for me. Too much randomness..
    A bit of clarification about your first point: the spell will only be sucked up if its center is within the trigger radius of the Spell Vacuum. As long as that center is outside the radius of the Spell Vacuum, the spell should be deployed as normal.

It's alright if you dislike the initial idea. I made this concept with the assumption that Town Hall 14 would grant players certain countermeasures to this type of defense, while not rendering the Spell Vacuums useless as a result. Ideally, I would've designed this concept as part of a larger concept about Town Hall 14, but I just wanted to get this idea out there.

In order to mitigate the frustrations that you described, the Spell Vacuum could have at least one of the following changes made to it:
    1. A cooldown period after sucking up spells. For example: after sucking up a freeze spell, the Vacuum would take 5 seconds before it would be ready to suck up additional spells.
    2. When the Spell Vacuum is destroyed, the spells could be returned directly to the player's inventory instead of being immediately deployed at the Vacuum's location.
    3. Less health to make it easier to destroy, and/or a smaller trigger radius.

While I disagree with randomness in Clash of Clans being bad (as that would make all traps bad as a result), I do agree that this is far from a perfect concept. This feedback is very useful in further fleshing the concept out.
    Last edited by TheChunkMaster; June 6th, 2020 at 11:31 PM.