Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: LOTS of X joined and left clan: WHY?

Trainee

Question LOTS of X joined and left clan: WHY?

A few months ago, our invite-only level 10 clan was a bit dead and we decided to set our clan to "open" so anyone can join. It has resulted in a lot of new members and some even stuck around and are now part of the war crew. Every so often I clean out the players who just joined and literally don't do anything (no clan wars, no clan games and not even a league rank for weeks into a new season). What I discovered is that after I clean up and we drop far below 45 members, we apparently get found by the clan searching algorithm because we get LOTS of new members. Except ...

I only see a constant stream of "X joined and left the clan" until we are back to about 45. It's crazy. And to be clear, these people don't join and after a day decide they don't like the clan. They literally leave the exact same minute they joined. Some say hi and then immediately leave again. They don't even request an army or any thing. Just join and leave again. I've only once seen two people join to give each other high level troop donations. Other than that just join and leave again.

My question is: WHY?

If you're looking for a clan, don't you look at a clans specs before you join? Or do people just blindly join the clan they get suggested, look around and leave again? And also, what can they possibly see about the clan that would make them immediately leave again? It's not like it's a dead clan or we have bad war record. I even see some people join and leave more than once. In a row. WHY?

To be clear, it's not really a problem, it's only annoying that it fills up the clan chat and you have to scroll some more for missed discussions. They can join and leave as much as they want for all I care, I just don't understand why you would? Any one got any insight in this?

My guess is that many players are looking at a couple of specific things in a clan. They join, maybe say hi, then look at a couple of things:

- the war log to see how often your clan plays and/or wins classic wars (if your log is private, they cannot see this)
    - if possible, opening up most recent war to see if everyone takes their attacks or not
    - the chat, to see if there are open requests sitting and/or lots of activity
    - the chat to see if they speak the same language

If they don't like what they see, they move on. Lots more good clans than good clanless players out there.

Again, this is just my guess.

The really annoying ones are the ones that hop in and out over and over again. This is one reason I wish we had a "perma-ban" option.

Clash of Stats: #L8CCQ8UJ | #PP0R9VGJR
    Thanks to TerMinus Prime for the awesome sig/avatar!
    Forum Titles | About Reputation | Reputation Dots | Images

Trainee
    Oh good points! To answer:
    - the war log is public, they could've seen that in advance
    - the most recent war; fair enough, we still have a few no shows some times.
    - the chat is active, expect clouded by a lot of "joined & left" messages, I understand that worries new players, but is like a self fulfilling prophecy.
    - the chat is actually a valid point. We speak Dutch. However, this is specified in the clan description. Again that's something they could've figured out before they joined.

I just scrolled through the chat, there's one account that quickly joined and left 4 times in one day. WHY?!

Likely they came across your list when searching for a clan - and they are just going through the clans one-by-one, perhaps it is quicker than reading the descriptions. But I can't say for sure, I don't really hop around clans, but I do see the same thing in my clan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsting View Post
    I just scrolled through the chat, there's one account that quickly joined and left 4 times in one day. WHY?!
    If it was at different times of the day, they may have just forgotten they already looked at that one in the list. Or were in the process of narrowing down where they were going to stay.

Some people do it over and over again, simply to be annoying though. I wish I could perma-ban them. But, if you happen to catch one quickly enough to kick them out, they won't be able to rejoin for 24 hours. So that's something...

Clash of Stats: #L8CCQ8UJ | #PP0R9VGJR
    Thanks to TerMinus Prime for the awesome sig/avatar!
    Forum Titles | About Reputation | Reputation Dots | Images

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    I find it best not to try to put a sensible motive behind what many people seem to do on the internet: tap around without doing any research. I frequently see posts on social media with simple questions that could be simply answered or ridiculous statements that are quickly debunked. "Does anyone know what time XYZ opens?" "What's the phone number for ABC?" "I just heard that breathing air causes cancer." "Bill Gates is going to mail me a check for $25 for every person who likes this post."

Even if your war log is public. Even if you put information in your clan description. Even if information about your clan is readily visible through the game, an alarming number of people just aren't going to bother even looking. I also think there's likely a large percentage of players who join your clan, just to see if they can. Once they get in, they hop out again, hopefully making note of it for more analysis and possible rejoining later, but who knows?

My hope is that some day new players can join a "waiting room" where you can interact with them before admitting them into your clan with all the priveleges of a clan member. That'd keep your clan chat from filling up, and as you said, people would be able to join and leave as much as they want without it being annoying.

I also wanted to add that I'm glad to hear you're been able to recruit new members through the game. A lot of people struggle with the in-game recruitment tool and some have given up on it. I've only tried it a handful of times myself, because I'm a little guarded when it comes to who I let into my clan, so they don't annoy my other players. I only had a couple accept the invite, but I believe it was just out of curiosity. They didn't seem interested in actually being in a clan and didn't stay very long.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 20 - 711 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Contact on Groupme

Centennial Club
    I have some accounts in different clans. I can join, request troops, they get filled, and then leave. If no others chat during that time it will eventually say I joined and left in a single line. Is that possible for what you are seeing?
    Last edited by JD4U; June 5th, 2020 at 01:19 AM.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4U View Post
    I have some accounts in different clans. I can join, request troops, they get filled, and then leave. If no others chat during that time it will eventually say I joined and left in a single line. Is that possible for what you are seeing?
    That is certainly possible, but that would mean my clan mates are filling request incredibly fast. And I don't think that's the case because I usually fill a lot of requests. And I have seen people join and leave again, wihtout any requests. Some do, but most just leave again. Within a minute. So I don't know if they get fed up no one is filling their request or they simply don't request any thing. I think the latter is the case.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyFinn View Post
    I find it best not to try to put a sensible motive behind what many people seem to do on the internet:
    Sadly, I think you're right.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyFinn View Post
    I also wanted to add that I'm glad to hear you're been able to recruit new members through the game. A lot of people struggle with the in-game recruitment tool and some have given up on it. I've only tried it a handful of times myself, because I'm a little guarded when it comes to who I let into my clan, so they don't annoy my other players. I only had a couple accept the invite, but I believe it was just out of curiosity. They didn't seem interested in actually being in a clan and didn't stay very long.
    Well, like I said, I don't actively recruit people, I just set the clan to open and some people just keep hanging around and when I started inviting them to clan games, they just started attacking. Same for the clan games. And yeah, while I too was kinda guarded about letting in total strangers into the clan, overall it has not been a bad experience. Sure, there's been a few rotten apples I had to kick, a few accounts that went inactive, but we're a 30+ account clan now and we do wars again. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsting View Post
    Sadly, I think you're right.
    And I tend to agree with both of you..
    Is weird that our clan is set to invite, yet sometimes we get folk who will wait at the door to be let in, then move on after a few minutes without saying a word..

Maybe watch for someone claiming a world record one day for having been in most clans..
    Biggest hopper in the world would be a tag worth having would it not?..
    Who knows what goes on in some peoples minds mate, what they are looking for, and what they are trying to achieve?..
    Is a strange world we live in.