Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Improvements/ideas for people who had a stroke.

Improvements/ideas for people who had a stroke.

Hello!

My mother has always been an avid fan of Hay Day, but after suffering a stroke she now runs into issues playing her beloved game.

Due to her stroke my mother suffers from quite severe shaking in her hands and fingers, which causes multiple problems playing the game. I'll list them below with my ideas and suggestions of how to potentially make them better.

To the mods, the first idea on my list is mentioned on the list of things already suggested, but I do still want to give it some attention from the position of playing the game with a disability. Please be so kind to leave it up, I would really like to hear other opinions on the matter.

1. Accidentally double tapping the purchase/speed up button with Diamonds option.

This is what upsets my mom the most. She often tries to save up her diamonds to upgrade either production queues or more room in her roadsideshop. She however constantly misclicks and double taps due to her shaking, causing her to lose her diamonds on actions she didn't want. - I understand Supercell needs the revenue made from selling diamonds and thus makes it easily accessible to do so, but I really wish they'd implent an option to turn off the option to buy with diamonds. This could be easily done I'd imagine. And the moment she does want to upgrade using Diamonds she could just turn on the option in the settings. I know we probably all do this from time to time and it happens, but in the case of my mum it's practically impossible for her to save up and it's very demoralising for her.

2. Fishing
    My mom experiences a lot of problems with fishing because she needs to keep her finger still and move very precisely to get the fish. I don't really know how to change this apart from just making it a 'transaction' based action, you give a lure and a random number generator determines what fish and weight you'd receive, bypassing the fishing mini game. She can fish with the fishing nets but they don't count for derby quests and don't fill up the fishing book.

3. Moving Buildings.
    Now this isn't a massive problem but my mom constantly and accidentally moves her buildings all over the place. Maybe a lock buildings in place option could be looked at?

4/5. Diamond Payment History/Refund.
    This one kind of ties in with #1. It would be quite handy to be able to see what you actually spent the Diamonds on, because very often my mom doesn't even know what she spent them on.
    And maybe a time limited refund option, this wouldn't work on crops obviously, but if she accidently buys an upgrade space, or decoration she didn't want, maybe an option to 'return' the purchased item or slot for the diamonds within a certain time period, to prevent it from being misused.

This was written from the perspective of someone with a disability, I understand there is only so much that can be done with software that is only 150mb, but it could make it such a more positive experience for my mother and no doubt for other people who might run into these issues as well.

I started playing the game while my mother was rehabilitating to understand how it works so I could help her if she wanted to play it again and in case she ran into problems. I fell in love with the game, and my mom loves it so much, it makes her so happy. It is also amazing to see how it has improved my moms thinking, math and general wellbeing, she has improved so much. That's why I wrote this, to give feedback and try to make the game even better.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you all have a great day.

-R.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBearFarm View Post
    Hello!

My mother has always been an avid fan of Hay Day, but after suffering a stroke she now runs into issues playing her beloved game.

Due to her stroke my mother suffers from quite severe shaking in her hands and fingers, which causes multiple problems playing the game. I'll list them below with my ideas and suggestions of how to potentially make them better.

To the mods, the first idea on my list is mentioned on the list of things already suggested, but I do still want to give it some attention from the position of playing the game with a disability. Please be so kind to leave it up, I would really like to hear other opinions on the matter.

1. Accidentally double tapping the purchase/speed up button with Diamonds option.

This is what upsets my mom the most. She often tries to save up her diamonds to upgrade either production queues or more room in her roadsideshop. She however constantly misclicks and double taps due to her shaking, causing her to lose her diamonds on actions she didn't want. - I understand Supercell needs the revenue made from selling diamonds and thus makes it easily accessible to do so, but I really wish they'd implent an option to turn off the option to buy with diamonds. This could be easily done I'd imagine. And the moment she does want to upgrade using Diamonds she could just turn on the option in the settings. I know we probably all do this from time to time and it happens, but in the case of my mum it's practically impossible for her to save up and it's very demoralising for her.

2. Fishing
    My mom experiences a lot of problems with fishing because she needs to keep her finger still and move very precisely to get the fish. I don't really know how to change this apart from just making it a 'transaction' based action, you give a lure and a random number generator determines what fish and weight you'd receive, bypassing the fishing mini game. She can fish with the fishing nets but they don't count for derby quests and don't fill up the fishing book.

3. Moving Buildings.
    Now this isn't a massive problem but my mom constantly and accidentally moves her buildings all over the place. Maybe a lock buildings in place option could be looked at?

4/5. Diamond Payment History/Refund.
    This one kind of ties in with #1. It would be quite handy to be able to see what you actually spent the Diamonds on, because very often my mom doesn't even know what she spent them on.
    And maybe a time limited refund option, this wouldn't work on crops obviously, but if she accidently buys an upgrade space, or decoration she didn't want, maybe an option to 'return' the purchased item or slot for the diamonds within a certain time period, to prevent it from being misused.

This was written from the perspective of someone with a disability, I understand there is only so much that can be done with software that is only 150mb, but it could make it such a more positive experience for my mother and no doubt for other people who might run into these issues as well.

I started playing the game while my mother was rehabilitating to understand how it works so I could help her if she wanted to play it again and in case she ran into problems. I fell in love with the game, and my mom loves it so much, it makes her so happy. It is also amazing to see how it has improved my moms thinking, math and general wellbeing, she has improved so much. That's why I wrote this, to give feedback and try to make the game even better.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you all have a great day.

-R.
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's difficulties. Forum members are always very helpful, and I'm sure will come up with suggestions that might help.

I'm content to let item 1 remain up for discussion.

An initial thought is that I wonder if it might help if your Mom tries using a stylus. Is she able to grip a pen? If so, a stylus can change the way you deal with the screen. It might be possible, for example, to rest the stylus on the screen whilst fishing and have a steadier contact with the screen even if your hand shakes.

As you observe, Hay Day is wonderful for a sense of wellbeing. The social aspects of the game, as well as developing strategies (and doing some maths) all make it a great way to spend some time.

I hope this helps, and look forward to hearing other ideas from our lovely community.

Hay Day level 187 (main farm) - I have seven others!

Most likely with my nose buried in the DD
    I’m also sorry your mom had a stroke and that residual effects are frustrating her. At work we have a hand clinic and know from them sometimes wearing a wrist weight (it cannot be heavy—max one lb) can help to reduce tremor/shaking. It is all trial and error so may not help at all, but perhaps try it with 1/2 lb weight as well as 1 lb weight and see if one might work better. I will also try to ask an occupational therapist, one that works specifically with patients who have suffered a stroke, to see if they have any other suggestions, but I’m not back at work til next week.

In any case, like u said, I think ur mom playing has helped her recovery not only mentally and emotionally from enjoyment but physically by improving her coordination, and think that’s great.

Will let u know what the occupational therapist has to say....
    Last edited by QBIE; June 4th, 2020 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowslips View Post
    I'm content to let item 1 remain up for discussion.

An initial thought is that I wonder if it might help if your Mom tries using a stylus. Is she able to grip a pen? If so, a stylus can change the way you deal with the screen. It might be possible, for example, to rest the stylus on the screen whilst fishing and have a steadier contact with the screen even if your hand shakes.

As you observe, Hay Day is wonderful for a sense of wellbeing. The social aspects of the game, as well as developing strategies (and doing some maths) all make it a great way to spend some time.
    Hi, thank you for letting the first point stay up, and thank you for your reply.

My mother unfortunately also suffers from severe arthritis in her wrists so holding things like cutlery, pens or styluses cause her to have pain pretty quickly. It's not a bad idea though, thank you.

I completely agree with you on the point of what benefits Hay Day can offer, that's why I wanted to put some points forward to make it more accessible and therefore try to make it even more beneficial for my mum and other people.

It makes me so happy to see her improve and enjoy the game so much.

-R.
    (Shortened your quote slighty to not clutter the thread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by QBIE View Post
    I will also try to ask an occupational therapist, one that works specifically with patients who have suffered a stroke, to see if they have any other suggestions, but Iím not back at work til next week.

Will let u know what the occupational therapist has to say....
    Hi and thank you for your reply.

Due to the current health situation in the world, my mother hasn't been able to go to occupational therapy because all the centers/hospitals are closed, so apart from consults over the phone, we can't really get help at the moment.

The suggestion you give is a very good idea however, and I'll definitely bring it up with my moms therapists once I'm able to speak with them again.

Thank you for being willing to bring it up with the therapists where you work as well, I'm looking forward to what they have to say.

As I said in my reply to Cowslips, my mother does have quite severe arthritis in her wrists and we'd need to factor that in, but it could be quite a game changer.

It's just so uplifting to see her being so happy and see her improve every day playing the game, so I just wanted to make it easier and more accessible for her.

Thank you again for your reply.

-R.
    (Have shortened the quote slightly to not clutter the thread.)
    Last edited by KoalaBearFarm; June 5th, 2020 at 08:55 PM.

Hi KoalaBear, thanks for the info about ur mom’s arthritis. I think that is important info the therapist should know about. In any event, they are always good with modifying/tailoring therapy specific to a patient’s needs so I wonder if a wrist weight worn on the forearm and not the wrist if it causes discomfort there can still be effective. I don’t think it needs to be tight either, so perhaps one that is adjustable with Velcro so it can be worn on the wrist or forearm might be ideal.

Couple of questions that came to mind: is the shaking/tremor in one hand only (I’m assuming it is the dominant) or both? If both, is one hand perhaps better than the other?
    Last edited by QBIE; June 6th, 2020 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QBIE View Post
    Couple of questions that came to mind: is the shaking/tremor in one hand only (Iím assuming it is the dominant) or both? If both, is one hand perhaps better than the other?
    My mother has actually suffered two strokes in two years, on opposite sides of the brain.
    It's remarkable to see where she is now compared to her worst days, but I do have trouble indicating what her dominant hand is. I'd say her right is slightly better, but the combination of the arthritis with the shaking is the cause of a lot of pain and stiffness for her, so I'm not a 100% sure. I should've been a bit more open and straightforward about the full extent of my mother's condition, I apologize.

The restrictions are being eased up slightly where I live, and I hope we can get her to therapy again soon.

Thank you so much for thinking with me on this. I really appreciate it. Have a good weekend.

-R.

Oh wow. Iím sorry that ur mother has been thru so much recently.

Sorry I shouldíve just spoken in plain English. By dominant hand I meant is she right-handed or left-handed? Even if someone normally uses one hand to do things they can still train/learn to use the other hand. Sure, it will definitely feel awkward at first but if one hand is more stable for ur mom, she may find playing HD with it easier even if it isnít the hand she normally uses to write, etc.

About using a stylus like Cowslips suggested, or holding pens/cutlery, has ur mom ever tried a foam grip like this that u can cut and still put around things even if the hollow diameter is too small? By creating a larger barrel to hold, her grip can be more relaxed which may help ease any pain.

your mom definitely sounds like she would benefit from therapy so hope she can resume her sessions soon.

Hi KoalaBear, the therapist said that it is very difficult to stop the tremors. She has used weights and they can be worn on the forearm, but they may not stop the shaking. The foam grip I referred to above that makes things easier to grasp is called plastazote tubing. She agrees Hay Day is good therapy for ur mom to continue improving her coordination. It helps the brain to establish new pathways.

I hope ur mom can resume her therapy soon and continue improving!