Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: When will SC introduce E-sport mode?

  1. #11
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,021
    I think his analogy is:

    In Clash Royale, why bother leveling up all your actual cards (to level 9) when you get to play (draft, triple draft, etc.) modes with all cards fixed at level 9 for free?


    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    While that may be fun on paper, it would actually hinder the game and cause people to actually lose interest. Why bother leveling up your actual village when you get to play a max base for free?

  2. #12
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaesing View Post
    This month 10! of 64 teams were disqualified from the final weekend of ESL WC qualifier. Some of the best teams in the world were kicked from the tournament for reasons unknown, but it could very well be account-sharing or buying. Let me clear this out... I do not think account sharing or buying should be legit, but it shows the problem for Clash of clans.
    Clash of clans is a multi-purpose game. You can farm/grind/build and have great pleasure in that. Most players do - at least when they start playing. The farmers are those who constantly demand new content and they are probably those who fill SC pockets.

    And then there is the war scene... War scene started some years ago back before FW we would have to calculate war weight and hope to match in a random spin. With friendly wars it became a lot easier and the CWL tournament started. Most war players are in the game for the adrenaline rush you get, when your attack is the one deciding a war win og loss. Farming is something you have to do when new content is added - and tbh its a pain. Thats why account buying became a thing in the first place.

    Now with SC deciding on going E-sport we have the problem. The game payers are not really into war and the war players are not really into farming. And to be an active on the war scene now you HAVE to farm - really much - all the time - or pay big bucks.

    Imagine other E-sport games having the same issue? How about Counterstrike players having to accumulate experience points through multiple non-war scenes? or FIFA players having to qualify from minor leagues in non-competitive modes? Not going to happen.

    What should SC do then? How about introducing an in-game E-sport mode? where players were able to play a max th13 for ESL and SCWL in champs 1? That way Clash of clans E-sport would be for the best players in the world and not for the big spenders and heavy farmers, whos been in the game forever.

    I do like both farming and war and I do have a fully max th13 a near max th13 and a "working project" th13 - all "clean" accounts, and I do participate in SCWL and ESL thou not this weekend, I'm not that good/lucky. So I don't have a personal benefit for changes I suggest. But for the game as an E-sport this is much needed - having multiple teams in the WC qualifier being DQ'ed every month for not being old farmers is a joke.

    /Fjæsing
    What about suggesting CWLs at lower town hall levels (like sports tournament with age caps), like level caps in Clash Royale?

    For example, a CWL at town hall 11, players with level 11 or above can participate, but bases are capped at town hall 11.

  3. #13
    Forum Elder Doddsyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the builders secret underground lair
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by thekingofgoblins View Post
    What about suggesting CWLs at lower town hall levels (like sports tournament with age caps), like level caps in Clash Royale?

    For example, a CWL at town hall 11, players with level 11 or above can participate, but bases are capped at town hall 11.
    because they don’t want people to stop progressing as this negativity affects the overall game.
    COC MAIN: Fully maxed TH13 Clash Profile
    COC SECOND: Working on TH13 Clash profile
    COC THIRD: Working on TH12 Clash profile

  4. #14
    The Meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    42
    When SuperCell decided to introduce SCWL I realised it was time to max my main account. At that time it was th9 and I used it only for FW tournaments. It took around 14 months to go to max - and I would say I spend my share on gems and packs. I can do that. I have good clan mates much better attackers than me, who haven't been able to participate in tournaments both FWs and official ESL/SCWL for 4 months when TH13 was introduces. Simply because they are students and don't have money to buy progress except Gold Pass (thank you for that btw). I agree there could be problems with introducing E-sports game mode as well, you've pointet some out. But if you want the game to be taken serious as an E-sport its crucial that we don't have several top teams DQ'ed every month.

    I do realise this is a player problem more than a SuperCell problem, but with the ambition of E-sport SuperCell is making it their problem as well.

  5. #15
    The Meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    That is definitely another negative consequence of giving someone who just got their driver's license the keys to a brand new McLaren 765LT. Just because you know how to drive in traffic doesn't mean you're ready to hit the track in a high-end race car.

    Being at the competitive level isn't just about having a maxed base. Just like being in a competitive FPS game isn't all about having the best spec PC. While yes, having a good PC does help mitigate some things you still need the requisite skill in order to be competitive. Opening the floodgates to just let anyone have a max Th13 to compete will lead to more frustration as players realize they simply aren't as competitive as they thought they were. This would in-turn also result in a reduction in the number of players being active in the game.

    The progression from beginning to max TH13 isn't just about leveling up your stuff. It's also about acquiring the necessary skills, perseverance, and mental aptitude in order to compete at those levels.

    Put it this way...if we thought the competitive system would be better off by allowing everyone access to a max base then that's how we would've designed the system from the start. It's not a matter of "we didn't think of that." We understood from the start that creating a system that allowed players to have access to a max TH13 would simply go against the philosophies of the game.
    NO! Farming is totally different that war - every player with skills know that. Legend League is similar like a poodle and a wolf are similar, but since you cannot change army it is very much YOLO. Ofc top players do that better than LL farmers, but in war you would never just "go with what you have".

    Farming out of LL is different. I attack with all super barbs easy way to max out base ASAP, so I can use it for wars. Farming has NOTHING to do with war attacks.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaesing View Post
    NO! Farming is totally different that war - every player with skills know that. Legend League is similar like a poodle and a wolf are similar, but since you cannot change army it is very much YOLO. Ofc top players do that better than LL farmers, but in war you would never just "go with what you have".

    Farming out of LL is different. I attack with all super barbs easy way to max out base ASAP, so I can use it for wars. Farming has NOTHING to do with war attacks.
    Two points: first, Darian is an actual SC employee who is the account manager for their various social media platforms.
    His word represents the viewpoint of SC.
    Arguing with him or telling him he is wrong will get you no-where.

    Second: see the first point above.

    Also, as Darian already stated: giving players access to a fully max th13 (or whatever the max th level is), will lead players to be uninterested in the game.
    Uninterested players tend to stop playing the games they lose interest in.
    When players stop playing certain games, those games die.

    In the interest of the longevity of the game, it is in SC's best interest to keep players engaged in the game.
    How do they achieve this? By the progression route: players having to level everything up, plus raid for resources to level stuff up, etc. All this takes time, which means players are logging onto the game everyday (multiple times a day) to raid, war, etc.

    So, SC will never give players access to a fully max level th by any means, other than the progression route.
    Last edited by joemann8478; 5 Days Ago at 09:53 AM.

  7. #17
    The Meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    Two points: first, Darian is an actual SC employee who is the account manager for their various social media platforms.
    His word represents the viewpoint of SC.
    Arguing with him or telling him he is wrong will get you no-where.

    Second: see the first point above.

    Also, as Darian already stated: giving players access to a fully max th13 (or whatever the max th level is), will lead players to be uninterested in the game.
    Uninterested players tend to stop playing the games they lose interest in.
    When players stop playing certain games, those games die.

    In the interest of the longevity of the game, it is in SC's best interest to keep players engaged in the game.
    How do they achieve this? By the progression route: players having to level everything up, plus raid for resources to level stuff up, etc. All this takes time, which means players are logging onto the game everyday (multiple times a day) to raid, war, etc.

    So, SC will never give players access to a fully max level th by any means.
    LOL so because he is an employee (which I ofc know) he cannot be wrong in anything???
    And CS:GO is dying out because you get free access???
    What I was arguing against was that you improve your war gaming through farming to max. That is not true. Farming is a necessary evil for war players - and the joy of the game for casual players. (I am both so I know)

    Also what I am suggesting is NOT giving anyone a free max base. Please read. I am suggesting that for E-sport purpose participating players should use an in-game mode with a max base. I you want to become a good player you would still need to max out your own so you can practise war attacks.

    /Fjæsing

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Beyond that horizon
    Posts
    232
    A game will be successful as Esport if it were initially started as Esport. This game started as a casual game for mobile phones, and still that's how players are attracted to this game. Upgrading the village is one huge part of the game, and that leads to a great sense of achievement.
    Now that cannot be compared to a feeling of a victory gained from a car race. You would switch off the device and restart a new race later, again to be forgotten. If players could just buy a base and win a war that doesn't bring about that loyalty and love for the game we have for it today.

  9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19
    Darian[Supercell]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Under a Rock.
    Posts
    5,054
    Quote Originally Posted by thekingofgoblins View Post
    I think his analogy is:

    In Clash Royale, why bother leveling up all your actual cards (to level 9) when you get to play (draft, triple draft, etc.) modes with all cards fixed at level 9 for free?

    While I understand your analogy, it is a flawed approach. Clash Royale isn't about the level progression like Clash is. While yes, there is a degree of progression by leveling cards, it is still a card-based game at its heart and the game is more about deck building. Clash is more about customizing and building your village so the element of progression is much more a part of the core of what makes Clash of Clans the game it is. So, unfortunately, it's not an accurate comparison.
    AKA Tank Puppy

    “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
    Terry Pratchett

  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    Darian[Supercell]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Under a Rock.
    Posts
    5,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaesing View Post
    LOL so because he is an employee (which I ofc know) he cannot be wrong in anything???
    And CS:GO is dying out because you get free access???
    What I was arguing against was that you improve your war gaming through farming to max. That is not true. Farming is a necessary evil for war players - and the joy of the game for casual players. (I am both so I know)

    Also what I am suggesting is NOT giving anyone a free max base. Please read. I am suggesting that for E-sport purpose participating players should use an in-game mode with a max base. I you want to become a good player you would still need to max out your own so you can practise war attacks.

    /Fjæsing
    While I am in no way always right, in this instance, I can assure you I am. As I said, it is basic game development psychology that all developers largely understand to a certain degree. Giving away the end-game content (whether it's free or for a fee or whatever) is NEVER a good thing for the longevity of a game that at its core is a game about progression.

    While I do understand what your proposal is trying to achieve, then lens you are looking through is a very narrow one based around what you think would make the game better. That is never a healthy approach to game design and almost always results in more harm than good.

    This would not have the intended effect you think it would have. While I appreciate your passion for your idea, I am sorry to say it simply wouldn't work, and I hope you can accept that feedback gracefully.
    AKA Tank Puppy

    “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
    Terry Pratchett

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •