Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: New Tower: SPIKE MACHINE

Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by toofinedog View Post
    Looks interesting.

I had envisioned an orb-like structure, held in place by a scaffolding or magically floating above a base, with holes around the orb where the spikes would protrude from. The orb interior, which you wouldn’t see but might be referenced in the defense info, would have to be some kind of arcane “bladder”, like a tough balloon crafted from a dragon’s hide, that would puff up ejecting the spikes in all directions. When the bladder deflates between strikes, the spikes would come to rest back inside of the orb.
    Interesting...are you able to do the visuals for designs too Toofinedog? I think I can see/imagine what you've proposed, but again, to actually draw/design that is beyond me. Originally, I hadn't thought of the spikes firing (which you can see earlier in the thread), however, it could potentially make the machine more versatile if the spikes can fire and aren't only attached to the arms. The only thing I'd say is does this make it too similar to the xbow? Not visually, but in terms of projectile weapons, there are quite a few of those, so just wondering if having spikes on arms is more distinctive. I'd be interested to see your idea as a drawing though....

Quote Originally Posted by Onacinator View Post
    Wow Bodgey! Thanks for this! There is NO WAY that I could come up with something like this, so thanks! Did you base the drill idea on the dark elixir drill? Also, what happens if the top arms are separated from the lower ones and at different angles...is that something you can do? This is great!
    I will explain what it is.

I'll state that first, yes, the drills did come from the DE drill, the center pole actually came from the level 1 air defense, and the hinges came from the level 3 wall wrecker.

The drills actually would not even go on top of each other like in the image, usually they would be behind. The drill arms would rotate on the center pole, then use the hinges to drill underground to attack miners.

Standing outside a broken Clan Castle with Gold in my hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgey View Post
    I will explain what it is.

I'll state that first, yes, the drills did come from the DE drill, the center pole actually came from the level 1 air defense, and the hinges came from the level 3 wall wrecker.

The drills actually would not even go on top of each other like in the image, usually they would be behind. The drill arms would rotate on the center pole, then use the hinges to drill underground to attack miners.
    I was wondering where you got the pieces from. What program are you using? The best I have is an iOS app called YouDoodle with minor photoshop elements. It’s what I used to create my signature image.

Interesting...are you able to do the visuals for designs too Toofinedog? I think I can see/imagine what you've proposed, but again, to actually draw/design that is beyond me. Originally, I hadn't thought of the spikes firing (which you can see earlier in the thread), however, it could potentially make the machine more versatile if the spikes can fire and aren't only attached to the arms. The only thing I'd say is does this make it too similar to the xbow? Not visually, but in terms of projectile weapons, there are quite a few of those, so just wondering if having spikes on arms is more distinctive. I'd be interested to see your idea as a drawing though....
    If I were to employ Bodgey’s design method of frankensteining pieces from existing in-game models, it’s possible I can create a rendering. There is a version of the Tesla that has a “head” I would use as the orb. Spikes facing in every direction would be more difficult to find in the game, so I’d have to get creative.

My description wasn’t intended to mean the spikes leave the defense, just that they are pushed through the holes and stop when fully protruded due to having a base similar to a nail keeping them from fully ejecting.

Hi Postal, again, this is why I'm trying to make the Spike Machine something which doesn't only target Miners. But I still think a small number of towers which can get Miners while underground creates interesting new possibilities and dynamics. I personally am not usually a fan of troop nerfs, so that wouldn't be my intention with this tower...so I'd definitely be willing to modify so it doesn't reesult in Miner nerf.
    I hate nerfs to offence 😋 just my personal opinion.

Alright if it's not going to have a bonus damage multiplier to miners then cool lol.

I could add some thoughts to this though. The spikey arms that deal damage to troops sounds cool but how will it work underground? If the spikey arms move underground too they could face lots of resistance from the soil and deal reduced damage underground or just drastically slow down miners, that way not taking away the unique quality of miner's immunity while underground. All I'm trying to say is a troop shouldn't lose its uniqueness.

I like this idea but if you think about it. It really doesn't fit into clash of clan but I would prefer a trap like a net. But overall it a pretty good idea.

Sitting near a fire with some Barbarians and Valkyries(\/alhalla)
    Don't waste your time OP, I don't think this is a direction SC would ever think to go with again.

We saw the EA did 3x more damage to golems back in the day, and from there on they've never been used again in the TH11+ war scene. Even though that's no longer the case, golems still aren't used since there are better options.
    Teslas don't do 2x more damage to pekkas anymore. You couldn't even think to bring pekkas past TH10 to 3* and you couldn't see teslas, so it was terrible.
    Remember when GB's did 2x more damage to hogs? Yeah, no one used hogs that much.

You propose something that targets a troop that can hide, and it dies 2x damage to it. Now you're defeating the entire purpose of using the troop. The troop kind of excels because of its ability to avoid defenses and allow for more flexibility in an army. This idea creates more limitations to any attacker than more dynamics, and I don't think the game needs any more of that.

It's not up to you to modify it in order for it not to be a nerf to miners. Anything that does 2x damage to anything counts as a direct nerf to whatever.

It's the only troop that can hide from defenses. You really want to make a defense that directly opposes that troop? There's a reason the afformentioned 2x damage to said troop qualities no longer exist in this game, because they're strictly too limiting and only result in lower use rates as people adapt the defense to their current layouts.

The truth is, if the attacker is really good and knows exactly what to do, they're going to 3 star. The best a defender can do is make the base as complicated and intricate as possible to potentially ensue question and possible uncertainly in the attacker. An idea like this just takes miners off the strategy list, and that's why we haven't seen a defense or trap capable of stopping miners underground.
    The truth is, they're not OP. Have a well-placed tornado trap or GBs and that might catch some attackers by surprise.

To summarise, I don't think it will work. I think something like this would be unhealthy for the overall miner usage, and would only limit attackers to what they'd be able to do.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck.
    Last edited by jaronhudson15; April 6th, 2020 at 02:35 PM.

We have Air Defense for Air troops. We have Ground Defense for Ground troops. But we do not have underground defense for underground troops. There is no troop other than miner which doesn't take damage while not attacking. But they get advantage of spells when underground. If spells can go underground to give advantage to the underground troops bring in something which can deal damage while they are traveling underground as well.