Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: New Tower: SPIKE MACHINE

Kitty

Lightbulb New Tower: SPIKE MACHINE

New Tower: Spike Machine

This tower is the only tower which can target Miners when they are underground. It has 4 mechanical arms with spikes on the end of each arm, so it can target 4 Miners at a time. It can attack other ground troops (still 4 at a time) but will favour Miners if Miners are within its radius, and will also deliver x3 attack against Miners (see stats below). It cannot use all 4 of its arms on a single target, e.g. a tank or a hero, so in this way operates like an inferno on multiple target mode. This is a ground only tower, so cannot attack air troops. It would be introduced at TH12. It is a great way to protect a particular building or area from Miner attacks. It also would be another tower which is neither single nor area attack, but takes on multiple targets anywhere within its radius like the Inferno, and the TH12 and TH13 weapons.

PROPOSED STATS for the new Spike Machine tower:

Suggested footprint: 4 tiles, as 2x2, like a tesla tower
    Suggested number of towers: 2 at TH12, 3 at TH13
    Hitpoints: L1=1800; L2=2250
    Cost: L1=13M gold, L2=16M gold
    Build/upgrade time: L1=10 days, L2=14 days
    DPS L1: 140, but damage is x3 against miners, so 140x3 = 420
    DPS L2: 165 (x3=495)
    Attack speed: once per second
    Range: 9 tiles (possibly L2=10 tiles?)
    Possible Gear Up: Master builder adds a 5th arm to one Spike Machine... at TH14?

PROPOSED DEFENCE strategies:
    -Place near the buildings/areas you specifically want to protect from Miner attacks
    -Also use the building to aid defence against multiple attackers such as skeletons, yetimites, groups of hog riders etc.
    -Protect the Spike Machine from air attacks by placing near Air Sweeper, Air Defence or Archer Tower etc.
    -Simultaneously the Spike Machine can also provide another way to protect Air Defences from multiple ground attackers, and especially from Miners taking out Air Defences prior to other air units joining in the attack.
    -The Spike Machine forces attackers to support Miners with other troops and to think carefully about what these troops are

PROPOSED ATTACK strategies:
    -This tower is vulnerable to all air units, and could be particularly vulnerable to combinations such as bat spell (or another distraction for nearby towers that can target air units) combined with electro dragon chain lightning
    -The Queen walk strategy would be effective, as only one arm of the Spike Machine would attack the Queen (and not the healers), but you would have to be careful not to deploy any other ground troops to support the Queen before the Spike Machine was taken out.
    -The Spike Machine would also take more time and care for tanks with ranged support troops behind it, because ranged troops would still be attacked by the other 3 remaining arms

Thoughts and feedback welcome!

Kitty
    Thanks for letting this original version of the post through. As I said, thoughts/feedback/problems/objections/tweaks welcome!

A defense that targets miners is ruled out. Supercell does not want defenses that specifically targets a single troop.

Kitty
    Hi Bodgey, thanks for your reply. But the Spike Machine doesn't target only one type of troop. It is stronger against Miners and can see them underground, but if you look through my original post, you'll see that it can attack all ground troops.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgey View Post
    A defense that targets miners is ruled out. Supercell does not want defenses that specifically targets a single troop.
    Can you quote the post from Supercell saying this should be ruled out, so we can add it to the ruled out list?

And ideally, don't say things are ruled out in future unless they are already on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Kitty
    I did check the ruled out list, and I suppose I could have missed it, but I didn't see it there. Besides, thinking further about Bodgey's comment, this is only one feature of the tower and I don't think it's fair to rule out the entirety of a very detailed idea because of one aspect, which could easily be changed.

May not be ruled out, but in order to be useful or warranted for the space it would take up, it would need to target more than just miners.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronWasteland View Post
    May not be ruled out, but in order to be useful or warranted for the space it would take up, it would need to target more than just miners.
    It favors miners but can attack any ground troop. I find the idea intriguing. However, I found th12 to be pretty balanced. Might need an offsetting offense buff if added.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronWasteland View Post
    Once again, BaronWasteland, the SPIKE MACHINE targets *all* ground troops. The only difference is that it can target Miners *when they are underground*. Please read the original post before you give feedback.

Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    It favors miners but can attack any ground troop. I find the idea intriguing. However, I found th12 to be pretty balanced. Might need an offsetting offense buff if added.
    Thanks Piper139, yes, I've thought this through with reference to as many other factors as I could, but yes, this might mean Miners then need a few more hitpoints. I based the stats on maxed Miners so that the Spike Machine wouldn't quite take them out in two hits. Do you have a specific figure in mind for any buffs?