Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Add Super Troops to player profile

  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAudi View Post
    You are missing the fundamental issue with privacy. Personal privacy. Person.
    No I'm not.

    As players we are anonymous within the game, unless we reveal personal information.
    As quoted previously in this thread (not initially by me)
    “Personal data are any information which are related to an identified or identifiable natural person.

    The data subjects are identifiable if they can be directly or indirectly identified, especially by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or one of several special characteristics, which expresses the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, commercial, cultural or social identity of these natural persons. In practice, these also include all data which are or can be assigned to a person in any kind of way. For example, the telephone, credit card or personnel number of a person, account data, number plate, appearance, customer number or address are all personal data.”

    (source: https://gdpr-info.eu/issues/personal-data/)
    I don't honestly think there is much doubt that we are identifiable under that definition.

    And if not, then presumably you think that our "name & shame" rule here on the forum should also not apply to showing details of any in-game account? There is good reason why it does.

    There is also the simple fact that in many clans (including mine), many of the people do know the real names of others. I am friends on facebook with about half my clan, and know most of them through another website.

    There is nothing personal about access or otherwise to a game feature.

    Everything else hinging off the privacy debate is just waffle for the sake of defending an incorrect interpretation of the meaning of personal privacy.
    I believe yours to be the incorrect interpretation. I find it very hard to find a way of reading the above which makes this a non-issue.

    If I'm wrong and you're correct and privacy extends to our in-game personas, then SC is in breach of privacy laws in just about every jurisdiction in the world because they have revealed the troop types and levels attached to every base (the point you think is irrelevant).
    I have no idea why you think I think that to be irrelevant?

    I have already said several time in this thread that it is arguable those should also not be shown.

    It is not a personal privacy issue.
    It almost certainly is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    One thing I should say on all of this though is that a combination of term 3.2.3 of the ToS, and their Privacy policy may mean you have given permission for these details to be published.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  3. #23
    Forum Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,975
    If a player chooses to reveal their personal information to another player, SC is not in breach of any privacy law I've encountered professionally. Red herring at best

    The issue at hand is whether SC is restricted by law from adding a troop type to our player profile because they will be in breach if privacy laws. If the added information means we are no longer anonymous, then they will be in breach of privacy laws. If it doesn't and we still have control over our own anonymity then it's not a breach of privacy laws. Pretty simple really.

    So if we are currently anonymous in-game unless we choose otherwise, how does adding a troop type, temporary or otherwise, suddenly mean we are no longer anonymous and the player base suddenly able to identify someone as an individual, natural person.

    But I give up, you no longer recall what you have written in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post

    Also true, but also irrelevant.
    Last edited by OzAudi; March 31st, 2020 at 02:38 PM.

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAudi View Post
    If a player chooses to reveal their personal information to another player, SC is not in breach of any privacy law I've encountered professionally. Red herring at best
    Correct. Not sure what your point is though.

    The issue at hand is whether SC is restricted by law from adding a troop type to our player profile because they will be in breach if privacy laws. If the added information means we are no longer anonymous, then they will be in breach of privacy laws. If it doesn't and we still have control over our own anonymity then it's not a breach of privacy laws. Pretty simple really.
    Incorrect.
    It isn't about whether the new information removes anonymity (it doesn't). I don't think there is any real doubt on that part of the argument, we are identifiable individuals in game within the meaning of the law.

    If we are not anonymous (regardless of whether that is down to the new information or not), then if the new information can be regarded as personal data, publishing it without your explicit permission could be in breach of privacy laws.

    The only real question here is whether that information can be regarded as personal data. I believe it could. I believe any information about you that you may not want everybody else to know is personal data (regardless of whether you or I as individuals don't mind it being known).

    So if we are currently anonymous in-game unless we choose otherwise, how does adding a troop type, temporary or otherwise, suddenly mean we are no longer anonymous and the player base suddenly able to identify someone as an individual, natural person.
    It doesn't, of course.

    My argument has never been that this information makes you not anonymous. I do not believe we have ever been anonymous in game within the meaning of the law.

    Incidentally, one of the main reasons argued as to why the ruled out online indicator should not be implemented is privacy. So other people obviously feel identifiable enough to want their privacy within the game.

    But I give up, you no longer recall what you have written in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post

    Also true, but also irrelevant.
    I recall it perfectly well, but I wasn't saying what you are interpreting it as.

    I was saying it was irrelevant there mainly in reference to your comment about them "using the same in-game currency", but also because I had already said several times that I do believe it arguable that showing the normal troops is indeed also a breach of privacy. So it was irrelevant as an argument as to why this might not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  5. #25
    Forum Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,975
    Are we anonymous in-game to the player base now ?

    How will adding troop information change this ?
    Last edited by OzAudi; March 31st, 2020 at 02:57 PM.

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAudi View Post
    Are we anonymous in-game to the player base now ?
    No.

    How will adding troop information change this ?
    It won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  7. #27
    Forum Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I suspect more people would dislike this than would like it.

    And it could even pose data privacy legal implications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    No.



    It won't.
    If we are not anonymous to the rest of the player base then is SC in breach of privacy laws and can you ask a SC employee to advise players how they can really protect their real life identities ?

    If adding super troops won't change whether we are anonymous or not, why did you suggest, in your very first post in this thread, that "it could even pose data privacy legal implications" when those implications already existed ?

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAudi View Post
    If we are not anonymous to the rest of the player base then is SC in breach of privacy laws
    Possibly. I have never said it is definitely in breach of privacy laws, and am certainly not going to make a definite statement on it now.

    And as I said in an earlier post, it is also possible that the ToS and privacy statement together mean we have given implicit permission for those things to be displayed.

    and can you ask a SC employee to advise players how they can really protect their real life identities ?
    Define "real life identity". And why you think that is at risk.

    The definition in the EU regulations (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...6R0679&from=EN regulation 4, page 33) says:
    ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an
    identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an
    identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors
    specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;
    I believe the bits I have bolded mean that it applies here even if you can't actually identify the physical person directly from the data.

    You get to know people in your clan through the clan chat and their behaviours in clan activities, and knowing their name/tag gets you to the person as you know them.

    I don't think the question is really about whether we are identifiable within the meaning of the law.

    The question is whether the information about troops is then personal information which should be protected.

    If adding super troops won't change whether we are anonymous or not, why did you suggest, in your very first post in this thread, that "it could even pose data privacy legal implications" when those implications already existed ?
    I was saying that adding the details of what supertroops you currently have could pose legal privacy implications.

    I'll admit, I hadn't thought through at the time whether that meant the current profile display does so already. I just thought that it was something we had already seen several people say they would not want to be shown, because they value their privacy on this matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  9. #29
    Forum Legend Warios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,030
    Since no one owns their account, they are all owned by Super Cell, would it really be a breach of privacy if SC decided to show Super troop information about the accounts they own?

    I could understand this argument if each account was privately owned by the user, but since this is not the case, the owner (SC) has the option to disclose as much or as little as they what to, if the person who is operating the account finds this invasive, they could just not play it if they so choose.
    Last edited by Warios; March 31st, 2020 at 10:08 PM.
    Level: 262 | TH13
    Highest Trophy Count:5608 | Donations: 1.63 million | Hero Levels: 210




  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Warios View Post
    Since no one owns their account, they are all owned by Super Cell, would it really be a breach of privacy if SC decided to show Super troop information about the accounts they own?

    I could understand this argument if each account was privately owned by the user, but since this is not the case, the owner (SC) has the option to disclose as much or as little as they what to, if the person who is operating the account finds this invasive, they could just not play it if they so choose.
    As I have said, it is possible that the ToS and Privacy policy in combination do mean you have given implied consent.

    The fact that Supercell own the data makes no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •