Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Dev build

Quote Originally Posted by zellnera View Post
    Believe us it is an advantage, you should know that, having even an idea was coming even it is not final value helps. Yes I agree the usability of an update like this is smaller as e.g. at the th13 update.

It s also not that important from me as I call my clan a casual war clan holding a team in Champ1 and 1 team in Champ3. But we will never be good enough to quality in any pre qualifier. So for me it is only a measure of fair play.

But I hope you at least hear our concerns and discuss it internal. One countermeasure could be to plan all updates the day after cwl as then that the advantage for the real competition part is gone. An other could be announcing an update more then 48h in advance so that the hardcore war players could skip a war is they fear that advantage.

So you see there are ways to work around, but the first thing is that you (at least internal) need to understand that it is a advantage and it is worth to do anything against it.
    What seems to be missed here, though, is it really isnít an advantage. Anyone who has been around for a year or two knows the upgrade cycle - quarterly releases, once one is out you know whatís coming in the next, etc. There are new features testers know about before the larger community, but weíre talking a week or two at most and during that time, everything is in flux. Troop X/Defense Y/Trap Z is getting nerfed/buffed - testers get ahold of it, fiddle with it to provide feedback, and the HP/DPS changes for further testing. It is not at all uncommon for the stats to change right up until a few days before release - sometimes, changes get pulled - and sneak peek videos are assembled with only about a day or so of notice (and even then the values might change).

Even with the knowledge of an upcoming change, that does not change a competition playerís approach to the game before the update is released and no one can test it against the wider array of bases/players. Once an update is in the wild, how it is used changes as does how to counteract it. The 50 million people who play the game always see things from more angles than the testers ever could and, believe me, what happens in the test environment just does not compare to what happens in the wild.

And, of course, there is the matter of integrity there to consider as well. Not only does no one want to jeopardize their access to the dev build but the penalty for violating the trust (and NDA, for that matter) can actually lead to a full on lifetime ban. These are honorable people with love for the game and dedication to the community. Theyíre well vetted and about as near to beyond reproach as it gets. Not only is SC extraordinarily cautious to ensure fair and equitable play, but Iíve known some players whoíve recused themselves to ensure nothing could be said, visible, or otherwise even accidentally give them so much as a potential, minor advantage.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.
    Creator Code: GwN

Quote Originally Posted by Sakat View Post
    So nobody to answer the original question of the thread?
    Ajax already answered that, it's on the first page of the thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrinCoC View Post
    Ajax already answered that, it's on the first page of the thread
    Yes but a "few days" is very vague, is it "a few days" each week? Each month? Before every single update including the optional ones or limited to the very major ones?
    Your clan performances during CWL? Easily grab stats with SCS
    ===>More info on the official thread<===

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    This right here is absolutely important to stress. When we grant access to the dev build, we give them very specific things to look for. Anything that falls outside of this, like building bases to test against for competition or anything that falls outside of what we specifically request for testing will usually result in permanent removal from the test group.
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Beta testing a little? Shouldn't they be looking for the problems you didn't think about?
    In my sector we have the opposite problem, not being able to get people to actively take part in Beta testing.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakat View Post
    Yes but a "few days" is very vague, is it "a few days" each week? Each month? Before every single update including the optional ones or limited to the very major ones?
    Of course it is vague, because it varies. It certainly isn't "each week" or "each month", it is "each update", and not every update at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Quote Originally Posted by Noctaire View Post
    What seems to be missed here, though, is it really isn’t an advantage. Anyone who has been around for a year or two knows the upgrade cycle - quarterly releases, once one is out you know what’s coming in the next, etc.
    We can agree to disagree seeing my join date here you should know that I am long enough in the game. My daily business is development and testing in the ic area so believe me I am well aware of NDA and how to performe HW and SW tests and also how to handle escapes.

For me it is a advantage to know e.g. the mechanics of an yeti upfront. It gets me to the point to think about how to use it before all others.
    Sure is a Archer Tower has a DPS increase of 10 or 11 is not as important as to use a new troop but even there you get the idea e.g. set the rage spell earlier.
    If you read my post than you should have seen that I do not have problems with beta testing at all, my problem is about timing. We talking here about stuff that people can catch up in lets say 3-4 days but that means you need to give them this 3-4 days before you start a comprehensive part of the game. So time the update in conjunction to the cwl.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctaire View Post
    What seems to be missed here, though, is it really isn’t an advantage. Anyone who has been around for a year or two knows the upgrade cycle - quarterly releases, once one is out you know what’s coming in the next, etc. There are new features testers know about before the larger community, but we’re talking a week or two at most and during that time, everything is in flux. Troop X/Defense Y/Trap Z is getting nerfed/buffed - testers get ahold of it, fiddle with it to provide feedback, and the HP/DPS changes for further testing. It is not at all uncommon for the stats to change right up until a few days before release - sometimes, changes get pulled - and sneak peek videos are assembled with only about a day or so of notice (and even then the values might change).

Even with the knowledge of an upcoming change, that does not change a competition player’s approach to the game before the update is released and no one can test it against the wider array of bases/players. Once an update is in the wild, how it is used changes as does how to counteract it. The 50 million people who play the game always see things from more angles than the testers ever could and, believe me, what happens in the test environment just does not compare to what happens in the wild.

And, of course, there is the matter of integrity there to consider as well. Not only does no one want to jeopardize their access to the dev build but the penalty for violating the trust (and NDA, for that matter) can actually lead to a full on lifetime ban. These are honorable people with love for the game and dedication to the community. They’re well vetted and about as near to beyond reproach as it gets. Not only is SC extraordinarily cautious to ensure fair and equitable play, but I’ve known some players who’ve recused themselves to ensure nothing could be said, visible, or otherwise even accidentally give them so much as a potential, minor advantage.
    Love this post. Just curious does 50 million actually play this game right now? That would be fantastic

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeCowboy View Post
    Love this post. Just curious does 50 million actually play this game right now? That would be fantastic
    Whether it is as many as 50 million, I don't know. But we have been told it is "tens of millions", and more recently that they have seen an upward trend in player activity.

And there are around 400,000 - 500,000 in legends, which I have heard are in the region of 1% of active players. Which would point to 40-50 million.

Though of course by "active players" here they mean "active accounts". I think Noctaire probably accounts for about a million of them all by himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Quote Originally Posted by zellnera View Post
    We can agree to disagree seeing my join date here you should know that I am long enough in the game. My daily business is development and testing in the ic area so believe me I am well aware of NDA and how to performe HW and SW tests and also how to handle escapes.

For me it is a advantage to know e.g. the mechanics of an yeti upfront. It gets me to the point to think about how to use it before all others.
    Sure is a Archer Tower has a DPS increase of 10 or 11 is not as important as to use a new troop but even there you get the idea e.g. set the rage spell earlier.
    If you read my post than you should have seen that I do not have problems with beta testing at all, my problem is about timing. We talking here about stuff that people can catch up in lets say 3-4 days but that means you need to give them this 3-4 days before you start a comprehensive part of the game. So time the update in conjunction to the cwl.
    I agree that knowing the mechanics of the yeti and scatter would give an advantage AT FIRST. However, these were released in mid December and the first WC qualifier was the February CWL. EVERYONE had 6 weeks to learn the mechanics beforehand. Sure there were a few that had letís say 8 weeks. But I do not see that advantage carrying thru to affect integrity at that point.

Could some users get an initial bump in LL standings because they already know mechanics? Sure, but letís be honest here, LL is really just a *bleep* measuring contest anyhow. No one actually gets anything for being ranked number 73 as opposed to being ranked 42812.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleCallMeMaurice View Post
    I agree that knowing the mechanics of the yeti and scatter would give an advantage AT FIRST. However, these were released in mid December and the first WC qualifier was the February CWL. EVERYONE had 6 weeks to learn the mechanics beforehand. Sure there were a few that had let’s say 8 weeks. But I do not see that advantage carrying thru to affect integrity at that point.

Could some users get an initial bump in LL standings because they already know mechanics? Sure, but let’s be honest here, LL is really just a *bleep* measuring contest anyhow. No one actually gets anything for being ranked number 73 as opposed to being ranked 42812.
    The yeti was ment as an example. So asume the update drops with the first day of the comming cwl. Since all champ1 clans are nearly matched at the same time (short before the 48h window) the start is preatty clear.
    All using the dev build have then a jump start as they had the chance to play around a little the rest of us needs to catch up.
    Sure we will catch up in a day or two but that is what a call an advantage.

LL is a 28 day window thats 2 big to gain really an advantage. I really only take about the following cwl that get you to the pre qualifers