Thread: WW + tornado trap + TH interaction bug?

Fresh Spawn

WW + tornado trap + TH interaction bug?

Hi everyone!

Did any of you come across with this bug when using a ww and hitting a tornado trap at a wall segment near the TH? I have uploaded a video of one of my clan mate's attack. He shared several replays like this, where he uses a wrecker, it hits a tornado trap and it disassembles from about half HP without him pressing the siege machine button.

I've found one thread about this from last year when TH13 wasn't available yet and this happened with a TH12 in that video. The thread doesn't really offers much resolution or explanation so I hope it is ok to open another discussion now that the new update has been live for 2 months and this issue still exists.

Is this supposed to happen because the wall and the tornado trap is so close to the TH? It would be really weird if this was intentional.

Sorry for the TL;DR.

https://youtu.be/BffKcZIr0PE

Have seen this couple of times on forum. Dont know if sc is aware of that bug and when it get fixed.

Honestly, it looks like the trap pulls the WW into range of its normal bust location without actually breaking the wall. Can't imagine this is intentional.
    TMBG War Clan always recruiting - Wars with TH8-12
    TMBG Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/aXdgW6w
    TH10 - Doctor Worm permamax (for now)
    TH11 - doug 50/50/20 heroes

Wall interaction happens with most heavy ground units where tornado trap moves them and they hit wall corner, which stops tornado trap to move them. Melee units cannot attack under trap's effect, even when they are stuck. Probably same happaned with wall wreaker - front part of its hitbox is probably inside I wall and how hitboxes work normally in 2D games, game check if something (wall wreaker) is inside the other thing (here is a wall), then object that is inside other will stopped moving.

Here is image, I think, what happened (everything are speculations).

IDK how collision hitboxes in the game look like, but that is my guess, since I work on my own 2D game and having hitbox collision detection is easyest and most efficient in terms of optimisation for the game, especially on older devices, is just check if hitboxes are next to each other and if they are, then you stop moving object in certain direction. This approah has some cons, like if hitboxes overlap it can cause to object stop moving completely. It can be fixed, but normally it is ignored, since you don't except to come to that scenario.
    Probably with wall wreaker when it hits a wall while it is moved by tornado trap was coded on with that approach (with slight fix so it fixes it's possition IDK) since if it ever comes to this scenario of overlapping hitboxes, then WW will destory the walls. But since TT disables melee attacks (if TT is behind a wall and melee troops are on other side of wall, then they will be pushed into a wall. Even if they were targeting I wall, troops won't attack the wall under TT effect), WW won't attack the wall until TT expires. And because WW's hitbox was possible so near to TH, when it corrected it self, it accidentally came into self destruct zone.

Maybe is a bug, maybe not. IDK. This is my take on it.

Fresh Spawn
    That would make sense how you explained with the hitboxes but then why the WW doesn't fall apart with the first collision?

And how come ground units doesn't attack in the TT while ranged units do? This is not specified in the description in-game. In the Wiki page it says that "The Tornado Trap will not prevent units from attacking if they can attack targets still in range." The WW is definitely in range to hammer the wall but maybe the overlapping hitboxes prevent it and since it doesn't attack the TH when it arrives there it just doesn't do anything when inside the trap.

It would make sense for the WW to be hitting on the wall while it is so close to it inside of the trap. Also the WW's disassembly would make more sense if it would happen during the trap's duration and release the CC inside of the wall at the TH but that doesn't happen, instead when the trap is no longer active and it throws the WW outside the wall where it still disassembles and releases the CC outside the wall.

Maybe this is intended or can't be fixed that easily but still a strange interaction and maybe there would be better ways for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Porage View Post
    That would make sense how you explained with the hitboxes but then why the WW doesn't fall apart with the first collision?
    If you look closely WW did move slightly around a wall for some reason (maybe like ground melee troops got to original target after they were moved?), but maybe it's interaction hitbox (not collision hitbox) was in TH range, since if you ever watched WW coming to TH, it self destruct like 1/2 a tile (not sure this is correct, but as I oberved I believe this. Maybe range is the same idk) away from TH more then when it attack a building, so WW might verywell be in range while it was fixing position if it really has slightly more range for TH interaction. I could be wrong here.

And how come ground units doesn't attack in the TT while ranged units do? This is not specified in the description in-game. In the Wiki page it says that "The Tornado Trap will not prevent units from attacking if they can attack targets still in range." The WW is definitely in range to hammer the wall but maybe the overlapping hitboxes prevent it and since it doesn't attack the TH when it arrives there it just doesn't do anything when inside the trap.
    Sorry it doesn't really block them from attacking, but I've seen multle time BK, Pekkas and other melee troops attacking a wall, but if TT was triggered, then TT moved them slightly (even for a pixel) away from their target and they just tryed to get back, but they could attack other building/wall in the range, but no - they would just tryed walking back to original target. Same probably happened to WW, where it would try to get on same path, after it was moved by TT. Maybe WW has already defind path, unless it is moved by large amount (if it is probably "finds new path" and new targets), but here was moved by like 1/2 - 1 tiles, so it didn't need to get new path and new tagets. Idk.

It would make sense for the WW to be hitting on the wall while it is so close to it inside of the trap. Also the WW's disassembly would make more sense if it would happen during the trap's duration and release the CC inside of the wall at the TH but that doesn't happen, instead when the trap is no longer active and it throws the WW outside the wall where it still disassembles and releases the CC outside the wall.
    I do agree here that troops should find new target when moved out of range. This might be complicated, since "fix" can totaly break some current interactions, but still possible do-able to not break current AI interactions and fix this issue (but can be difficult).

Maybe this is intended or can't be fixed that easily but still a strange interaction and maybe there would be better ways for it to work.
    Yes it can be fixed, thought it can be complicated, but again what I said could very well be wrong. Maybe it is a bug maybe not. Only Supercell knows for sure (maybe not why it happens if it's a bug, but who knows haha).

Fresh Spawn
    since if you ever watched WW coming to TH, it self destruct like 1/2 a tile
    Yes maybe this is it, since the WW never directly hits the TH, it falls to pieces before it. Maybe it is simply just too many things are crammed in so tight(TH,walls,TT) that this is what happens. The WW gets caught in the TT, doesn't hit the wall because it can't reach it properly for some reason and since it gets so close to the TH because of the trap that it recognizes that it should disassemble and it does that after the trap finishes. Still it would be better if that happened inside of the wall at the end but maybe there is no place for that with the wall being in once piece?

But yeah SC would know better, maybe they will address it or explain it at some point especially if this would happen in an official event like the World Championship.

Thanks for thinking it through, I think there is not much we can add to this at this point