Thread: Army choice before going to attack

Army choice before going to attack

Hi all,

So about a month ago I came back on here to suggest the option of being able to select one of our two armies when we are attacking because most of us will use two different army compositions depending of the layout of our target base. I figured it would make finding the appropriate target easier and not have to 'next' so many times. Well, since then it has been requested several more times and countered with reasonable explanations as to why this wouldn't be good, mainly that more attacks would occur, leaving more shields active, therefore getting stuck in the clouds for longer periods of time. Makes sense. But...

One of my reasons for this feature request was because of CC requests waiting to be filled. I use two different army comps for attacking; one relies on siege and cc troops for war or war practice, and the other is standalone for simple raids. My current situation I'm experiencing while typing this post is that I have my war army ready to attack my war target and a queued raiding army. I'm waiting for my cc to get filled. Normally, my clan is active and fills requests fairly quickly, but on occasion people are busy with life and are afk. My cc can get filled at any time now, but while I've been waiting I could have raided several times by now if I only had the option to attack with my queued army.

Therefore, what I'm asking now is this choice to select an army before going out to attack, while still in your home village. Maybe implement a swap button that can be used to move your queued army to the front lines. I understand that the queued army hasn't yet committed the resources and can be edited without the loss of d/elixir, so that can be an issue for some. Maybe if the player chooses to use that queued army, there is a pop-up message informing them that those resources will be committed.

Another benefit to this feature would be for donations. A very common issue people here have is when we donate and the troops come from the front lines, the queued troops automatically fill those spots and thereby messing up the army comp. Say, for example, I want to fill an edrag req but it's sitting in my front army. I don't want my bowlers from my queued army to fill its spot, so I hit the swap button and I can fill that req, cook another edrag, and do a raid while it's cooking. Nice QoL improvement and can solve a common donation dilemma!

Cheers all!

Centennial Club
    Different variations of this idea have been floating for a while, yours is probably the most practical.

Standing outside a broken Clan Castle with Gold in my hand
    It would make more sense if you could only use your queued army if it’s already fully trained up. If not, I see the potential for abuse. You could queue up your first army, then queue up the second, then immediately switch to the second one to bypass training time. If you had to wait for the training time to tick down first, there wouldn’t seem to be potential for abuse except that it would then allow you swap out the fully trained army then quickly un-queue for a refund, in essence using armies to hide loot (which of course can already be done, but this enables it a little more, just a minor nitpick). The existing remedy for pushing through your second army seems to be boosting. Since boosting is tied in with Magic Items and Gem use, I don’t see a change happening, although I’m not entirely opposed to it, since I will delete my entire army if I want to use the second, different one queued up, usually after a horribly failed attack.

Other than that, your idea stands out from similar ones because it doesn’t remove the randomness of matchmaking in regular multiplayer and the one size fits all skill-based attacks in Legend by only allowing switching BEFORE battle.

Another point on practicality would be if you’re in war, you could swap between your war and multiplayer armies. Sometimes, I’ll force an attack to use up my army before making a war attack if I’m not running the same army for both (I usually am due to that I use Legend for personal war practice), but for farmers who use an entirely different composition for war, it would be helpful to be able to swap if they don’t have time to farm one out before a war attack.

On the donation point, I have no comment other than as I mentioned above about deleting an entire army, I don’t mind having to delete a few troops if donations get things a little discombobulated. I tend to move around queued troops or one-gem ones I don’t have training to avoid that problem from occurring.
    Last edited by toofinedog; February 21st, 2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toofinedog View Post
    It would make more sense if you could only use your queued army if it’s already fully trained up.
    That's really what I was thinking. Have a swap button, but greyed out when the army is cooking.

swap out the fully trained army then quickly un-queue for a refund, in essence using armies to hide loot
    Wow, that never even occurred to me that we have a hiding spot for our loot lol. My idea would basically eliminate the troop refund and commit the elixir once it's swapped, therefore no refunds after the swap.

Another point on practicality would be if you’re in war, you could swap between your war and multiplayer armies.
    Exactly my situation while writing that post.

On the donation point, I have no comment other than as I mentioned above about deleting an entire army, I don’t mind having to delete a few troops if donations get things a little discombobulated. I tend to move around queued troops or one-gem ones I don’t have training to avoid that problem from occurring.
    I just see it as a waste having to delete a few troops or an entire army, but hey, that's part of the game for now.