Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Hay Day Trading Website

Fresh Spawn

Lightbulb Hay Day Trading Website

Greetings.

As a fairly new Hay Day player, I notice that I am frequently in need of a certain item. I spend WAY too long visiting each Road Side Stand in the Daily Dirt, trying to find the required item(s).

I have visited the trade threads. I understand the concept but it seems overly difficult for traders to match up the items they require with the items they have available to trade.

Okay, that being said. I am a software developer; that's what I do for a living. As a player and as a developer, I think this problem can be helped with a simple website. It would work as follows:

EDITED on 2014-01-07:
    1.) hay day trader visits someWebsite.com
    2.) user logs in via username/password or via "login with facebook"
    3.) user completes a profile with Hay Day Level, Game Center ID or Facebook information
    4.) user sets up a trade:
    * user lists items required
    * users lists items available for trade
    * user optionally lists when he/she is available to trade
    5.) user clicks submit
    6.) site returns traders that have the required items available
    7.) once a trade is complete, each party is asked to leave feedback on the transaction

EDIT:
    There was some talk about Clan functionality. This would center around communication of goods required or available or in demand between a small group of known players. This is significantly different from the above requirements, but if it's something that a lot of people want maybe this is the better route? (small groups of known people rather than a bunch of random trades with strangers)

Before I spend several hours developing this, I would like to ask a couple of questions:

Would you use it? If so, do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by hasCode; January 7th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hasCode View Post
    Greetings.

As a fairly new Hay Day player, I notice that I am frequently in need of a certain item. I spend WAY too long visiting each Road Side Stand in the Daily Dirt, trying to find the required item(s).

I have visited the trade threads. I understand the concept but it seems overly difficult for traders to match up the items they require with the items they have available to trade.

Okay, that being said. I am a software developer; that's what I do for a living. As a player and as a developer, I think this problem can be helped with a simple website. It would work as follows:

1.) hay day trader visits someWebsite.com
    2.) user enters: gamer central ID and hay day level
    3.) user lists items required
    4.) users lists items available for trade
    5.) user completes CAPTCHA
    5.) user clicks submit
    6.) site returns traders that have the required items available

The data entered by the user would be searchable by other users for a certain amount of time before being deleted.

Before I spend several hours developing this, I would like to ask a couple of questions:

Would you use it? If so, do you have any suggestions?
    I have never traded so I don't think I would use the site, but I'm sure many would. It sounds like a great idea.

Let me ask you a question please. Isn't it a bunch of nonsense that a confirmation button before spending diamonds is still being tested? If SC wanted such a button wouldn't it be a done deal, in your opinion?
    GC: Bright_Sunny_Day ... Level 70

Forum Veteran
    I've tried using the trade thread a bit and found it to be pretty hit and miss. The biggest problem for me seems to be that people don't update their posts, and so you go to the trouble or contacting folks only to find out "No thanks, I've already traded!".

How would your proposed software make sure that the person on the other end of the trade still has the items in question? Or would they be responsible for maintaining their own profile that lists their surplus and their needs?

Another concern would be how to initiate or control the trade. Trading isn't sponsored by Supercell, it just happens. Right now it's all on the honor system. BUT because you have to PM someone, or interact with their forum identity, there is a certain level of accountability involved. If I get just a random GC ID, there is almost no accountability, and I would be pretty concerned that the person would just take my stuff and never deliver their side of the deal, leaving me with no response.

I'd be a lot more interested in software designed for a smaller group for forming up little guilds of farmers. Something to help manage the groups inventory, and communicate among all of the members who needs what, who should be producing what, etc. But I'm thinking of a situation where the players already know each other in advance, not pairing up with random people.
    Last edited by CheddarLimbo; January 7th, 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Can we not turn this into another diamond confirmation button debate...please?
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450
    134/144 Achievements Complete

All good points Cheddarlimbo. I suspect there probably aren't enough people using this forum and aware of the existence of Hay Day trading to mean it's viable in realtime, hence delays, lack of response, lack of updates etc. If it were an in-game function it would work much better, but then I doubt it's something Supercell would go for. I'd imagine they tolerate it on here because it won't damage diamond expenditure too much, but on a larger scale I bet it would.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightSunnyDay View Post
    Isn't it a bunch of nonsense that a confirmation button before spending diamonds is still being tested? If SC wanted such a button wouldn't it be a done deal, in your opinion?
    BrightSunnyDay - for "testing" I read "running it with a small section of the userbase to see if it makes a dent in profits"
    GC: Velcrofarm

KIK: Velcrofarm
    Level 52 Town level 9.

Fresh Spawn
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightSunnyDay View Post
    Let me ask you a question please. Isn't it a bunch of nonsense that a confirmation button before spending diamonds is still being tested? If SC wanted such a button wouldn't it be a done deal, in your opinion?
    An "are you sure?" prompt is not hard to write but they may need to write hundreds of them (depending how the code is structured). Also, if they have two copies of the code base (android and iOS) you can multiply the effort required by 2.

On the plus side, they do give away diamonds as well. I have probably gained more free diamonds than given away due to mis-touches.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    All good points Cheddarlimbo. I suspect there probably aren't enough people using this forum and aware of the existence of Hay Day trading to mean it's viable in realtime, hence delays, lack of response, lack of updates etc. If it were an in-game function it would work much better, but then I doubt it's something Supercell would go for. I'd imagine they tolerate it on here because it won't damage diamond expenditure too much, but on a larger scale I bet it would.

BrightSunnyDay - for "testing" I read "running it with a small section of the userbase to see if it makes a dent in profits"
    I'm not sure their tolerance of a third party app would be required. So long as the app in question does not specifically show any of Supercell's IP (they couldn't call it "The HayDay Trader" for example). But otherwise, I wouldn't think SC would be able to prevent someone from developing or using such an app.
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450

Fresh Spawn
    Cheddarlimbo, I thought about farming "clans" also. You also make a good point about trading with random people. My original idea was to have some sort of "karma" rating. Basically, you give nice people karma points or something. That would require username/password stuff, though. Maybe tracking trader feedback is important enough to warrant logins.

Would it be possible to include Android users by allowing Facebook or other IDs instead of just Game Center?

And maybe some kind of karma system would be useful. So people would know who is trustworthy and who isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
    I'm not sure their tolerance of a third party app would be required. So long as the app in question does not specifically show any of Supercell's IP (they couldn't call it "The HayDay Trader" for example). But otherwise, I wouldn't think SC would be able to prevent someone from developing or using such an app.
    No they wouldn't have any say in a third party app, but my point was that I suspect it might not have a wide enough audience to be effective unless it was actually part of the game. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    GC: Velcrofarm

KIK: Velcrofarm
    Level 52 Town level 9.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by hasCode View Post
    Cheddarlimbo, I thought about farming "clans" also. You also make a good point about trading with random people. My original idea was to have some sort of "karma" rating. Basically, you give nice people karma points or something. That would require username/password stuff, though. Maybe tracking trader feedback is important enough to warrant logins.
    A reputation system would certainly help, but that's many more layers of complexity, and then you'd need to make sure people could not artificially increase their own reputation somehow, etc, etc. But it's a good idea. If you are the type who enjoys these kinds of projects as a past time, I say go for it! I'll be a Beta tester for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    No they wouldn't have any say in a third party app, but my point was that I suspect it might not have a wide enough audience to be effective unless it was actually part of the game. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    Gotcha, I agree. I don't think this is something that could be profitable, but it could be a fun project for someone who likes programming.
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450