Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Using Diamonds in Derby

  1. #11
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA West
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by emailkathy2016 View Post
    Just an idea.... do you do the delay start? When I first started that made a big difference.
    what is “delay start”? If you mean waiting until all tasks are ready to complete before starting derby, I do that. Even so, other players are racing past me too often. Perhaps you mean something else?
    Last edited by DocH; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:48 AM.

  2. #12
    WussyPuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Richmond, BC Canada
    Posts
    6,084
    Quote Originally Posted by DocH View Post
    what is “delay start”? If you mean waiting until all tasks are ready to complete before starting derby, I do that. Even so, other players are racing past me too often. Perhaps you mean something else?
    delayed start means that don’t take any tasks until the derby task board is full of suitable tasks. You are not matched with other hoods until you take the first task.

    some hoods wait until the last couple of days to start the derby, however, I have seen some benefit in even a few hours delayed start.
    Farm 141
    CoC TH12 BhB9 AQ 60 BK 53 GW 26
    established level 18 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

    Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    alternate between San Diego and Baltimore, USA
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by DocH View Post
    what is “delay start”? If you mean waiting until all tasks are ready to complete before starting derby, I do that. Even so, other players are racing past me too often. Perhaps you mean something else?
    DocH, do you really mean to say "waiting until all tasks are ready to complete"? You mean you have 10 tasks on your board that you can finish as soon as you select them? It's hard to believe that when you are that well prepped and had the patience to wait for 10 such tasks that you still could not get to 1st place. If there were true, then you must have competed with hoods from a different time zone who have an early start, or you have a race with who can tap faster to release the prepared items fastest.

    Perhaps you only meant that you have 10 tasks that you are ready to accept, including tasks like harvesting wheat (but you have to plant them several times before you could harvest all that is required).

    I am often a solo derby player in a hood of 15, including a few of my own mini-farms. When I had more of my hoodies participate, we always delay start by around 8 or more hours. I would prefer to wait even longer so that there are more acceptable tasks on board, but as the leader I took into account a couple of my hoodies needed to go to bed. The delay start was a great way to be at the top. Now, as a solo derby player, I found delaying often landed me with other solo players who are equally well-prepared and I have lost 1st place several times...sometimes just by a few seconds...just couldn't tap faster enough. Now I don't delay starting anymore! I think too many people are now using this delay-start technique. So instead I'm starting within an hour or two of the official start time...just enough to get 5 or 6 320-pt tasks. I prep for almost all the combo/basket tasks. Since only a max of 4 combo/basket tasks can be on the board at one time (the rule of 4), I start soon after I get 3 combo/basket tasks (that I can complete within a minute) in hopes for more combo/basket tasks.

  4. #14
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA West
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by WussyPuss View Post
    delayed start means that donít take any tasks until the derby task board is full of suitable tasks. You are not matched with other hoods until you take the first task.

    some hoods wait until the last couple of days to start the derby, however, I have seen some benefit in even a few hours delayed start.
    thank you!

  5. #15
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA West
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtalline View Post
    DocH, do you really mean to say "waiting until all tasks are ready to complete"? You mean you have 10 tasks on your board that you can finish as soon as you select them? It's hard to believe that when you are that well prepped and had the patience to wait for 10 such tasks that you still could not get to 1st place. If there were true, then you must have competed with hoods from a different time zone who have an early start, or you have a race with who can tap faster to release the prepared items fastest.

    Perhaps you only meant that you have 10 tasks that you are ready to accept, including tasks like harvesting wheat (but you have to plant them several times before you could harvest all that is required).

    I am often a solo derby player in a hood of 15, including a few of my own mini-farms. When I had more of my hoodies participate, we always delay start by around 8 or more hours. I would prefer to wait even longer so that there are more acceptable tasks on board, but as the leader I took into account a couple of my hoodies needed to go to bed. The delay start was a great way to be at the top. Now, as a solo derby player, I found delaying often landed me with other solo players who are equally well-prepared and I have lost 1st place several times...sometimes just by a few seconds...just couldn't tap faster enough. Now I don't delay starting anymore! I think too many people are now using this delay-start technique. So instead I'm starting within an hour or two of the official start time...just enough to get 5 or 6 320-pt tasks. I prep for almost all the combo/basket tasks. Since only a max of 4 combo/basket tasks can be on the board at one time (the rule of 4), I start soon after I get 3 combo/basket tasks (that I can complete within a minute) in hopes for more combo/basket tasks.
    thanks for your input. The most frequent circumstance has been competing with players in different time zones, it appears. I’m in West USA and I play with others from Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East not infrequently. The consequence is that we are sleeping at different times, so they can finish the derby while I rest. I think, therefore, we should be matched up with those in the same time zones.

    i should have begun by saying, yes, I wait for 10 tasks before I start.
    Last edited by DocH; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:38 AM.

  6. #16
    Momscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Where mountain life is great!
    Posts
    3,458
    What would be your parameters for matching by time zones? Language? The location of the leader? Neither can really tell the composition of the NH. Our NH that is mostly US eastern time zone, but we do have a player with an 11 hour time difference. And language, while may be an indicator would not be a steadfast indicator of where a NH is. Think of all the countries that speak Spanish. They could be located in Europe or South America.

    The OP also mentioned dividing the diamond users and the non-diamond users. Again, what would be considered using diamonds for the derby? Adding an extra slot on a production machine, calling a PT early to pick up townies, or finishing a product early? It is probably safe to say that different players would have different thoughts on that.

    Our NH ranges from 2 - 5 players in the derby each week. We rarely do not place. We are prepared, communicate, trash the board often, choose tasks carefully, take the additional task, and use delay start. Our levels range from 50-160+.

    NHs and leaders need to be willing to try different strategies if what they are currently using is not yielding the results they want.
    Last edited by Momscar; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Level 162
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    🐝 kind. 🤗

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    59
    I have to jump in and say that I have 2 farms. Right now in the same nh. But I have had them in different nh and the difference is striking. My main nh is highly competitive, 10th task required, 320 or 400 pointers only. We are all over that task board like fleas on a dog. The trashing is brutal. Every 30 minutes, anything under max points gone, bacon gone, wool gone. Usually 8-10 players participate and 90% of the time we are done by wednesday night, no diamonds except for tenth task.

    Now contrast that with my other, more laid back nh (i am no longer there). No one trashed (except me mostly), everyone is afraid to upset someone else by trashing a task they MAY want 2 days from now. Aughhh! I moved my farm there for a more relaxed derby, less pressure, but it was actually much worse. It always dragged on til sunday night; when the same last player might actually finish her 7th or 8th task.

    Yes, some nh use diamonds to move things along, but honestly in 3 years I have only seen 3-5 teams that I suspected of doing that. If you want to place, usually you are going up against a team that is well organized, well prepared, communicates well, and trashing tasks is an olympic sport for them.

  8. #18
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA West
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Momscar View Post
    What would be your parameters for matching by time zones? Language? The location of the leader? Neither can really tell the composition of the NH. Our NH that is mostly US eastern time zone, but we do have a player with an 11 hour time difference. And language, while may be an indicator would not be a steadfast indicator of where a NH is. Think of all the countries that speak Spanish. They could be located in Europe or South America.

    The OP also mentioned dividing the diamond users and the non-diamond users. Again, what would be considered using diamonds for the derby? Adding an extra slot on a production machine, calling a PT early to pick up townies, or finishing a product early? It is probably safe to say that different players would have different thoughts on that.

    Our NH ranges from 2 - 5 players in the derby each week. We rarely do not place. We are prepared, communicate, trash the board often, choose tasks carefully, take the additional task, and use delay start. Our levels range from 50-160+.

    NHs and leaders need to be willing to try different strategies if what they are currently using is not yielding the results they want.
    Good points made, particularly if you have members in different times zones. In that instance, it’s an advantage for you since while you sleep another time zone member can continue with the derby.

    I compete alone, so can’t do that and I imagine there are many nh in the same time zones who encounter the same challenge. If I can’t get the tasks done on day one, it is unlikely I’ll place 1-3. The exception is sometimes the mystery derby. I happen to like it because it levels the playing field in terms of competing with diamond spenders and international players.

    my suggested time zone parameters: Compete with players in the same time zone. Simple. Especially single players.
    Last edited by DocH; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:40 PM.

  9. #19
    Momscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Where mountain life is great!
    Posts
    3,458
    NHs are matched when their first task is taken. Some of those NHs you are being matched with may be just waking up and others are on their way to a good night’s sleep.

    I would probably agree that having players in other time zones is advantageous to a NH. With that said, I have played with others in the same time zone and I have played solo derbies. I still believe a player that is prepared, chooses carefully, trashes the board often and uses a delayed start, is in a good position to place top 3.
    Level 162
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    🐝 kind. 🤗

  10. #20
    I play solo and i start usually late thursday. By then i have 10 tasks on the board which i can finish in seconds (completely ready). I dont take trucks, wheat etc cause they take more than a few seconds to finish. And yet, very often, when i take the first task, another player has already finished 7, 8 or 9. In such cases i dont take 10th task, opting for being demoted to expert league but to save 10 diamonds. How come am i paired with players that start at the same time - i fail to understand. But it matters not: every time this happens, i save 10 diamonds so im happy with that.
    Last edited by ninagrozdanovic; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •