Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Dairy woes...any suggestions?

Dairy woes...any suggestions?

For some reason or other, I’ve lost the knack of keeping enough dairy products in supply. Is anyone else discovering the same problem after years of farming?

I don’t use diamonds to speed up production, and I’ve had all my dairy production slots open for years. I check into my farm frequently during the day and always fill my dairy.

I never used to hire Ernest, and I only needed to hire Tom when there was a tempting boat event to stock up for. Lately, I hired Ernest, but it didn’t help significantly. I refuse to hire Tom for cheese. I’d rather send him for things like feta pies or cakes requiring sugar and dairy. However, my guesstimate is that I need too many products for Tom to cover.

I don’t think the valley has had an impact on my inventory, and I’ve been opted into the derby for long enough to say that generally it’s not a problem. The only thing I can think of is that the power derby followed by the current “misery” derby has thrown me off. I did fill a lot of boat/truck/townie orders for 2 mystery help tasks...and did we have a help event? That may have been it. I never do trucks or boats except for special events (not XP, coins or vouchers.)

Any analysis or suggestions would be appreciated. I just hope my dairy machinery doesn’t get ideas from the valley truck and break down.

Farm Level 128 | Town 41 | Achievements 143/144

I find my dairy stocks vary considerably. If I am derbying it can run down very quickly as it can if I am doing lots of truck orders or similar. If I am not able to get on the farm as much it can run lower too. When that happens I don’t give townies anything that uses lots of dairy for a bit or do boats. Like you I keep it full and it is probably the machine I check most often. I don’t use Rosie or Ernie either. One of the farms little foibles😀

Farm Level 179. Town 55. 😊
    Please PM for farm ID.

Have you ruled out baby production farms and/or trading on the forum/internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin9632 View Post
    Have you ruled out baby production farms and/or trading on the forum/internet?
    This. I struggled with the constant dairy product deficits for long time. Enough of this! Now my 6 dairies and 90 cows solved that problem for me.

Centennial Club
    I have solved the problem with baby farms... I use Rose whenever she is free and use her only for milk and bacon. And in the shop I try to buy milk and bacon.

Thanks!

I love my townies, and I try not to serve the really greedy ones in the grocery and spa, but I’m not always as selective as I should be.

I had forgotten about the options of trading and baby farms. I did a bit of trading years back for planks but never for products. I may have to consider our forum trading thread if all else fails.

I think a lot of farmers start a baby farm for just this reason—dairy and sugar. I have resisted a baby farm because I know I would quickly be spending as much (or more) time there as on my main farm. There’s a baby farm in our NH that’s over level 100. The best thing about it is that it has no “friends” outside our NH and acts as a wood lot for help tasks. Very convenient. We supply saws and axes as needed.

It’s interesting that two realistic solutions (online trading and baby farms) are not actually part of the game as designed. SC has acknowledged the legitimacy of baby farms and made it easier to manage them. It would be interesting to know what percentage of farmers have multiple farms. It will also be interesting to see if SC ever comes up with a meaningful in-game trading option.

Farm Level 128 | Town 41 | Achievements 143/144

Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    For some reason or other, I’ve lost the knack of keeping enough dairy products in supply. Is anyone else discovering the same problem after years of farming?

I don’t use diamonds to speed up production, and I’ve had all my dairy production slots open for years. I check into my farm frequently during the day and always fill my dairy.

I never used to hire Ernest, and I only needed to hire Tom when there was a tempting boat event to stock up for. Lately, I hired Ernest, but it didn’t help significantly. I refuse to hire Tom for cheese. I’d rather send him for things like feta pies or cakes requiring sugar and dairy. However, my guesstimate is that I need too many products for Tom to cover.

I don’t think the valley has had an impact on my inventory, and I’ve been opted into the derby for long enough to say that generally it’s not a problem. The only thing I can think of is that the power derby followed by the current “misery” derby has thrown me off. I did fill a lot of boat/truck/townie orders for 2 mystery help tasks...and did we have a help event? That may have been it. I never do trucks or boats except for special events (not XP, coins or vouchers.)

Any analysis or suggestions would be appreciated. I just hope my dairy machinery doesn’t get ideas from the valley truck and break down.
    MG, I sometimes find my farm in the same predicament. It is usually when I am trying to recover from a particularly difficult derby that has used a good bit of my items. I have a number (self-imposed) of each product/machine that I like to keep. As I am loading the machines is when I find that my dairy is way too low. So this is what I try to do.

———— visit my farm each hour to milk the cows, (do your honey tree then, as well)

———— load only cream and butter during the day, cheeses get loaded at night

———— avoid loading any machines/products using dairy

———— use Rose if I have a booster or she is free (approx. every 30 days), same for Ernest

———— use Tom if I have a booster and have him run for the dairy rich products I am low on

———— shop from friends RSS’s as there are a few that will sell milk.

Of course, not necessarily in this order. All this can be done without the aid of a baby farm. I do have 2 farms, however, they are just that, 2 farms. Neither supports the other.
    Level 162
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    🐝 kind. 🤗

Great thread, MiniGardener, thank you!

I’m avidly “listening”, as I have a similar dilemma. I’m getting tempted to start a baby farm (6 dairies and 90 cows, Buligo! And the sugar mills? To have enough dairy and sugar? Why don’t we have boosters for that?)

You have wonderful ideas, Momscar, thank you for your detailed post.

What I’ve been doing: I took advantage of 1 event where I needed to visit my farm often during a few days. I caught up on my woefully low stocks of milk. All I make now are cream and butter (if I visit my farm in the evening, I’ll load the dairy for cheese). I dislike doing this, and it has to be temporary, but every time I run Tom, it’s for the cow and goat cheeses.

If we could have a dairy day event or booster that acted like the crops 3x event, that would be udderly loverly!

Thank you, MiniGardener! I look forward to reading all the replies re: the long-suffered dairy dilemma!
    Last edited by AsYouWish; January 12th, 2020 at 07:01 PM.

Centennial Club
    I just shake my head over people with dairy woes who also dismiss Earnest as being useless or not that helpful, my main farm is level 93, I would not have lasted this long without Rose and Earnest, I haven't thought about feed and animals since Rose appeared, and Earnest keeps 90 dairy and sugar for me (just cow stuff, I don't keep goats on any of my farms)... I consider R&E to be worth every penny/diamond I put into them, and I save their boosters until I can get each of them free for a week...

I have 4 main farms in my small hood with 3 other players, levels 93-46, use R&E on all of them, and keep 4 more farms in another private hood... I like to use the baby farms for specifics, like one is all cherries and cherry products, another all apples, others crank out basic jams and muffins... as my first farm levels up I devote it to the higher-end products that are only used there, the smaller farms keep the rest... I love derby production tasks because somewhere is a machine stacked and ready to go...
    Last edited by heartgal; January 13th, 2020 at 12:29 AM.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
    I, too, am a fan of Rose and Ernest, and use them all of the time. They work very well on my main farm, but not so well on my smaller farms, so I manage my dairies there the "old fashioned" way, but they are nowhere near as efficient.

On my main farm (level 183) they each have a capacity of 180 in their storage. I also hold some stock in my own barn, and that acts as a "buffer" if I use up Rose and Ernest's stock for some reason.

At 49 diamonds (if I catch the re-hire discount) for 14 days each I feel they are good value for my particular way of farming, and even better when I get a booster!

Hay Day level 182 (main farm) - I have seven others!