Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Farming...with bombs

  1. #11
    Super Member LuvHayDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
    Political correctness is so out of control. It's a game people. It's a bomb in a game. Nothing is going to be hurt.
    For me it’s not about political correctness—it’s about the tone of the game. Hay Day is a farming game that I see as having a happy, light-hearted tone. The animals don’t die, the machines don’t break—generally things don’t go wrong. With the Valley, that has changed. Now trucks break down, and soon bombs are going to destroy the prizes we’ve won. To me, those features don’t fit with the overall feeling of Hay Day.

    If I look at things literally, it’s true that nothing will be hurt by a bomb. But from the literal point of view, nothing will be helped by earning tokens and buying prizes or decorations, because they’re not real either. Yes, it’s “just” a game, but when I play it I suspend disbelief, as I do when reading/watching a work of fiction. I can say that nobody is hurt in a book/movie/play where characters die, because they’re not real people. But when I read or watch it, I suspend disbelief and feel sad when bad things happen to characters that I care about.

    If I read/watch a light-hearted book or movie, and then a sequel comes out with bombs, I’m going to be upset—not because bombs are politically incorrect, but because I was looking for light entertainment and got something very different. The bombs in Hay Day may not be real, but they’re a symbol of destruction, and I don’t think they belong in the light-hearted world of Hay Day.
    Last edited by LuvHayDay; December 15th, 2019 at 06:18 PM.

  2. #12
    AdvoCat Extraordinaire meonhoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    LUNAR
    Posts
    4,374
    I haven't decided whether I am negatively affected by this representation. If we could get bacon by sending pigs to sauna, we can probably expect some other fantasies in this game.

    A few years ago, Boom Beach has renamed Dr T. So, Hay Day, is that the best you can do dear?
    It's called LUNAR new year. Welcome to the forum *Meow* ! Official Support : Choose your game and your language. Report abuse/spam on forum.

    Latest update: Diamond confirmation list

    #AdvoCat :: Hay Day Lv 140♩♬ :: Defenseless TH10 :: Rushed TH12 ::

  3. #13
    Forum Superstar Gymgirl4a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvHayDay View Post
    For me it’s not about political correctness—it’s about the tone of the game. Hay Day is a farming game that I see as having a happy, light-hearted tone. The animals don’t die, the machines don’t break—generally things don’t go wrong. With the Valley, that has changed. Now trucks break down, and soon bombs are going to destroy the prizes we’ve won. To me, those features don’t fit with the overall feeling of Hay Day.

    If I look at things literally, it’s true that nothing will be hurt by a bomb. But from the literal point of view, nothing will be helped by earning tokens and buying prizes or decorations, because they’re not real either. Yes, it’s “just” a game, but when I play it I suspend disbelief, as I do when reading/watching a work of fiction. I can say that nobody is hurt in a book/movie/play where characters die, because they’re not real people. But when I read or watch it, I suspend disbelief and feel sad when bad things happen to characters that I care about.

    If I read/watch a light-hearted book or movie, and then a sequel comes out with bombs, I’m going to be upset—not because bombs are politically incorrect, but because I was looking for light entertainment and got something very different. The bombs in Hay Day may not be real, but they’re a symbol of destruction, and I don’t think they belong in the light-hearted world of Hay Day.
    Your point is well made. The lack of violence is one reason I enjoy HayDay and have been playing it for more than 6 years.

    Farm Level 178. Town 54. 😊
    Please PM for farm ID.

  4. #14
    Forum All-Star LynnK2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181. Run silent, run deep
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    ...A few years ago, Boom Beach has renamed Dr T. So, Hay Day, is that the best you can do dear?
    Thank you meohoc for the walk down memory lane. I remember reading somewhere outside the Supercell forums that Boom Beach had a character named Dr. Terror but Team BB decided to rename him Dr. T. I don't recall if BB gave a reason for the name change.

    I wonder if Team Hay Day will rename the bomb to something else. I think it will depend on players giving feedback on all social channels after the update will be released. By then, Team Hay Day will know if the bomb turns out to be a polarizing, unnecessary element to the game or much ado about nothing so they won't make changes.

    The above is my speculation.


    ---
    Lynn
    December 15, 2019
    Last edited by LynnK2015; December 15th, 2019 at 09:23 PM.
    In what ways am I grateful? Let me count my blessings.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...essings-Thread

  5. #15
    WussyPuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Richmond, BC Canada
    Posts
    6,053
    I don’t see these bombs as being used in a threatening way. Even a certain candy game has candy bombs
    Farm 141
    CoC TH12 BhB9 AQ 52 BK 50 GW 20
    established level 17 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

    Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

  6. #16
    Super Member LuvHayDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by WussyPuss View Post
    I don’t see these bombs as being used in a threatening way. Even a certain candy game has candy bombs
    I think that a certain candy game with bombs has a very different tone from Hay Day.

    I agree that the Valley bombs aren’t being used in a threatening way, but I think they’re a symbol of something very threatening. And symbols can have a powerful effect on people—for better or for worse.

    But there’s another aspect of this feature that bothers me, aside from the bombs themselves. Even if something else (such as lightning) is substituted for the bombs, I’m bothered by the new turn the game seems to have taken. Before the truck breakdowns, I can’t think of anything on Hay Day that felt harmful. I’ve always seen Hay Day as a game where I get things of value in a variety of ways. Mostly I work to earn them, but sometimes I buy them, and the game often gives me gifts.

    The truck breakdowns introduced an element of loss—where something is being taken away from me (2 hours of playing time, and often token rewards that expire before the 2 hours are up). And now the bombs (or anything that may be substituted for them) are bringing more loss into the game, taking away prizes that I’ve won—or at least causing the fear of losing my prizes. I can’t think of any previous features in Hay Day that caused me to lose anything—or caused me to be fearful of loss—and I’m sad that Hay Day is moving in this new direction. I realize that there are many other games where you lose things, but I think that gives them a very different tone from Hay Day.

    I’m sure the truck breakdowns are generating a lot of diamond-spending, and I’m sure this new card game will do the same. So I realize they’re not going to go away. But I’m sad that Hay Day has moved in this direction. The supposedly fun and stress-free Valley is now a place where I feel anxious about the things that may go wrong and cause me loss. It’s a minor anxiety, and so far it hasn’t stopped me from playing the Valley, because I find that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. But I think it’s a shame that Hay Day has introduced losses (and for some of us, the fear of loss) into what could have been a much more enjoyable experience without them.

  7. #17
    WussyPuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Richmond, BC Canada
    Posts
    6,053
    As always, I don’t think we can really understand new game features until the update is released and seen first hand.

    i am more afraid of getting a goat milk task in a mystery derby than a bomb in a mini game. We also have tnt and dynamite in game, so what’s a little bomb?
    Farm 141
    CoC TH12 BhB9 AQ 52 BK 50 GW 20
    established level 17 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

    Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

  8. #18
    Momscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Where mountain life is great!
    Posts
    3,425
    WP, I agree, we just need to wait and see how it plays out. Maybe TeamHayDay will rethink this a bit, but it may be too late to make any change now.

    With most parts of HD, if it really isn’t ‘your’ thing, try to ignore it until any change is made.

    Not everyone is going to like everything. Have hope, we have seen positive changes.
    Level 162
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    🐝 kind. 🤗

  9. #19
    Good to remember that SC is a company and what they are most interested in is making money. I have no idea whether their income for HAY DAY is up, down, or flat, and it's impossible to know whether they see the addition of bombs (or truck breakdowns) as diverging from the basic game philosophy or not, but it is obvious to see how adding bombs is another way to make money.

    People have to face loss of one kind or another every day, now even people who play HAY DAY. That's real life. I guess you can try to hide under a rock. I think it's been tried before though. I wish I had the luxury to see if it would work for me.

  10. #20
    Super Member LuvHayDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by WussyPuss View Post
    As always, I don’t think we can really understand new game features until the update is released and seen first hand.

    i am more afraid of getting a goat milk task in a mystery derby than a bomb in a mini game. We also have tnt and dynamite in game, so what’s a little bomb?
    I usually wait for the update before “judging” a new feature, but I used to play a game with a feature that worked exactly the same way, except that you couldn’t buy back the lost prizes. (Instead of a bomb, they had an evil-looking character who took away the prizes you’d won.) So I think I can safely say that I know how I’m going to feel when I get the bomb card.

    I, too, fear a goat milk mystery task more than a bomb in a mini-game. That’s why I don’t take mystery tasks. And maybe I’ll choose not to play the mini-game.

    I’m probably a lot more risk-averse than most people. I’ve had an extraordinary amount of loss in my life, and although I obviously don’t enjoy it when it happens, I accept it and I deal with it. Loss is inevitable in life, but it’s not a necessary part of games, and I prefer games without it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •