Thread: War Weight

War Weight

Does anyone here have a good understanding of how war weight works and how to use it to setup wars for an even matchup?

Quote Originally Posted by BIZmarkIE View Post
    Does anyone here have a good understanding of how war weight works and how to use it to setup wars for an even matchup?
    Old school is balanced bases in a balanced roster..
    eg. Upgrade your defence and offence at the same rate, on your account.. Or offset off heavy with a def heavy account.
    a balanced roster is generally low hall spread, with evenish numbers of halls.. Or "common" if you wish.

keeping the roster common (balanced), should generally match with something similar.. The above would generally suffice, but with all the rushing to 12, due to cwl, this may now have become a little clouded..

You can still check def weight using gold storage/hall on war or FC base, and off weight using rec target on the war map +/- 1 avge, although there are many that dispute the method as being accurate..

Of course, the account sizes in the roster can skew the bottom weights, if max bases occupy anchor roles, since much of the roster weight will be absorbed by those positions.. So I guess its in the eye of the beholder what they deem as "fair", whether it be top end, or full roster parity.

Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    Old school is balanced bases in a balanced roster..
    eg. Upgrade your defence and offence at the same rate, on your account.. Or offset off heavy with a def heavy account.
    a balanced roster is generally low hall spread, with evenish numbers of halls.. Or "common" if you wish.

keeping the roster common (balanced), should generally match with something similar.. The above would generally suffice, but with all the rushing to 12, due to cwl, this may now have become a little clouded..

You can still check def weight using gold storage/hall on war or FC base, and off weight using rec target on the war map +/- 1 avge, although there are many that dispute the method as being accurate..

Of course, the account sizes in the roster can skew the bottom weights, if max bases occupy anchor roles, since much of the roster weight will be absorbed by those positions.. So I guess its in the eye of the beholder what they deem as "fair", whether it be top end, or full roster parity.
    I used the calculator for our current war and the opponent is 8 points heavier than us with most of that coming from the bottom. We put in an underweight th8 and their th8 was beefier. So far it's been an even matchup but I was wondering how I can use war weight to setup my lineup.

I used the calculator for our current war and the opponent is 8 points heavier than us with most of that coming from the bottom. We put in an underweight th8 and their th8 was beefier. So far it's been an even matchup but I was wondering how I can use war weight to setup my lineup.
    There used to be many discussions on the subject..
    Easiest way is to put percentages into the accounts.. The top bases will use up far higher total of roster weight.. Is how the old "looking for top end advantage" came about.. A max base cant be beaten on weight, and filler at the bottom dilutes what they can use..
    If most of the roster looks good, and there are only minor discrepancies at the bottom, you done a good job mate... Bearing in mind its a 2 hit war system.
    3 to 4 hall spread was the usual recommended hall spread btw
    Last edited by joshsgrandad; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:55 PM.

if you're looking for even matches, build your bases in a balanced fashion. don't do .5 or any other tricks that cause your base to be overly offensively weighted.

that said, your example above is not at all unbalanced so i kind of wonder if you have some unrealistic expectations of the Matchmaker. can you share other examples that you consider unbalanced?

also, using an online war weight calculator is mostly useless unless it's considering the offensive weight too. IME, when we are facing a heavier opponent we often have a significant hero level advantage.
    Last edited by Thegreatpuma; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:11 AM.

I've been noticing. That the Matching Engine is not just matching clan weight, but it appears to be doing what I can only call "Best Fit" matching.

I run three clans, so I see a fair number of matches during the course of a few months, various configurations, some with bigger spreads, some with smaller ones. What I've noticed is that the spread doesn't really matter all that much. The Matching Engine does try to take the spread into account, if it's possible. So it matches base by base, as well as overall weight, as well as the distribution, if it's possible.

The algorithm appears to take each war weight and fit it along a distribution, and then match that distribution to one belonging to another clan, within reasonable limits. So, if they GET another clan with a TH3-TH10 distribution, you will get matched with them. If they don't, you might get a messier match, with the same overall weight, distributed differently. In a perfect world, you get a perfect match... but there are no perfect worlds or perfect matches. They can get remarkably close sometimes.
    Matching Engine (1).jpg
    Leader of The RiverofBlood Family
    Every War. Every Battle. Every Time.
    Deuce (L11 War) * Mini (L3 War) * TM (L14 War) * Push ( L17)
    Apply now on Discord: https://discord.gg/GywPq6R

I've been noticing. That the Matching Engine is not just matching clan weight, but it appears to be doing what I can only call "Best Fit" matching.

I run three clans, so I see a fair number of matches during the course of a few months, various configurations, some with bigger spreads, some with smaller ones. What I've noticed is that the spread doesn't really matter all that much. The Matching Engine does try to take the spread into account, if it's possible. So it matches base by base, as well as overall weight, as well as the distribution, if it's possible.

The algorithm appears to take each war weight and fit it along a distribution, and then match that distribution to one belonging to another clan, within reasonable limits. So, if they GET another clan with a TH3-TH10 distribution, you will get matched with them. If they don't, you might get a messier match, with the same overall weight, distributed differently. In a perfect world, you get a perfect match... but there are no perfect worlds or perfect matches. They can get remarkably close sometimes.
    Leader of The RiverofBlood Family
    Every War. Every Battle. Every Time.
    Deuce (L11 War) * Mini (L3 War) * TM (L14 War) * Push ( L17)
    Apply now on Discord: https://discord.gg/GywPq6R

Quote Originally Posted by privateice2 View Post

Matching Engine (1).jpg
    So they match the war weight.. And either match the accounts, or they dont..

I agree widely spread roster is more likely to match with another stretched roster.. But do you not think that is simply the nature of the beast?..
    There are likely some "checkboxes" in place.. The top appears to get some attention, as it is usually close, but the remaining weight needs to be distributed amongst the remaining accounts.. So a stretched roster is unlikely to meet a low spread, since the weights wouldnt match.