Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinion...BB is mainly based on luck not "skill"

Centennial Club

Unpopular opinion...BB is mainly based on luck not "skill"

Mainly between trophies of 5000-5500(or even more). There is no "standard" on how you're required to play in order to win the match. I have a couple accounts sometimes with a 500 trophy spread...and half the time attackers on my 5000 account are better than the ones at 5500 and vie versa, there is no indication that one group is better, you still get the same one stars or mid 60's two stars. I'm not all of a sudden worse on one account or the next, I just got some good luck.

Why do I say this? One game you'll be at 5400 trophies and get three opponents in a row that get only a one star against you.

The next day you get a losing streak and drop down to 5200...then every player there is able to get a high two star. They get better as you drop trophies? No quite it's just bad luck which is what this trophy range is about.

Or this scenario: you screw up and get a 60 one star while your opponent just beats you with a 62 one star. The next game, you get a 80 two star but then your opponent 3 stars you. This repeats for a couple cycles

Now I do recognize that at the top of the leaderboards, this is where you need a consistent high two star to win but I'm mainly referring to a trophy range where the majority of us players lie.

"But if you do well each time then you shouldn't encounter this problem"
    ....well yeah of course if I three star every base I will be number one in no time but that's not possible. You need to get "lucky" and have your opponent drop a one star or bad attack etc... The fact is everyone screws up, you aren't all of a sudden a worse player the next day because you screwed up or the AI decided to shoot down all your carts when you clearly placed barbs elsewhere to distract, you may have just got lucky 3 opponents in a row screwed up worse (it's happened many times)

"You need a good base layout"
    ...every base layout has their own weakness to them. Hey sometimes you hit the screen 6 times for a spam mass Pekka attack and do well or run a standard minion drop. For example I've seen people one star my base or 3 star it with the same attack all in the same trophy range. The fact is everyone now is close to max and there are only maybe a handful of base designs we ALWAYS see.

My main argument here is there is no differential in skill until you reach the top of the leaderboards. It's just all "luck" (assuming you are a competent attacker most of the time, which most people are). An individual with 5000 is no better than someone who is at 5500 per say, it's a matter of did they get a lucky matchup to get them there. Unless you are on the top of the leaderboards there really is no differentiation in player skill in this game type. Did you get lucky today?

Skill is a loose term in the overall game. There is some balancing and A.I. fix that needs some work.

Not an unpopular opinion with me. I have two identical BB accounts and experience the same thing. To add to the luck argument, I see many of the same base layouts and use the same strategy on each. One attack my pekka goes left and I get 74% two star, the next it goes right and a 47% 1 star. The targeting AI at times appears so random and can be extremely frustrating (e.g. when the closest target is the TH but the unit targets the air bombs three tiles away instead (grrrr)). I see this random targeting mostly with the cannon cart. Absolutely no rhyme or reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    Not an unpopular opinion with me. I have two identical BB accounts and experience the same thing. To add to the luck argument, I see many of the same base layouts and use the same strategy on each. One attack my pekka goes left and I get 74% two star, the next it goes right and a 47% 1 star. The targeting AI at times appears so random and can be extremely frustrating (e.g. when the closest target is the TH but the unit targets the air bombs three tiles away instead (grrrr)). I see this random targeting mostly with the cannon cart. Absolutely no rhyme or reason.
    All it takes is a tile placement adjustment to make 1 "same" design to impact the pathing. Or bomb placement. Or air vs ground bomb. Small variations have big effects.

To op, a lot of text to say sometimes you are the windshield, sometime the bug. Which is pretty much any pvp game in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Piper139; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:55 AM.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

We all know getting to say 6000 trophy doesn't mean you have the skill, but consistently staying at 6000 for a long period of time mean you have the skill. I acknowledge that going up 200 trophies or down 200 trophies than your average trophies just mean that you have a good luck or bad luck on that day itself. But days like that aren't going to last or happen everyday. On average you still have to get high % 2 stars to stay in higher trophy range. Average is the key word here, as it slowly remove the luck factor and skill is still the main factor in your conquest to the top.

I enjoyed the post. It was a pretty good description and rang true. I’ve found when I’m not getting lucky waiting a bit changes the luck. You can push pretty with minion drop span for two stars and mid 60s%. Other attacks are more fun but yield more one star attacks.

Centennial Club
    I should add: luck plays a much bigger factor here as it's not a true PvP game like clash Royale, you are essentially just attacking each other's bases and hope that the AI and RNG factors are in your favour (we've all seen the videos of wack AI)

Whereas true PvP games like clash Royale; you need to truely counter the troops of your opponents and put together a combo that will put you on top

Yesterday and the day before I literally got 6 players attack me and one star me. Today as I drop 100 trophies I get 5 opponents in a row with a high 2 star. What a joke, with no consistency, all luck as previously explained!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahchine View Post
    I should add: luck plays a much bigger factor here as it's not a true PvP game like clash Royale, you are essentially just attacking each other's bases and hope that the AI and RNG factors are in your favour (we've all seen the videos of wack AI)

Whereas true PvP games like clash Royale; you need to truely counter the troops of your opponents and put together a combo that will put you on top

Yesterday and the day before I literally got 6 players attack me and one star me. Today as I drop 100 trophies I get 5 opponents in a row with a high 2 star. What a joke, with no consistency, all luck as previously explained!
    You are comparing 6 different opponents that attacked you yesterday against 5 different players that attacked you today. It's not going to yield the same results. If the 5 attacks yesterday and 6 attacks today were done by the same person, with the same strategy, with the same angle of attack, with the same deployment method, and the results vary between 1 star and 2 stars high percentage, then you are right about no consistency in this game. But that wasn't the case. I don't buy it when players that consistently stay in high trophy range for number of seasons are depending on luck, that's just bad logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    ......sometimes you are the windshield, sometime the bug.
    Great comment! lol

Patiently waiting for lrl to see what he has to say about this.
    Last edited by DrinCoC; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:16 PM.
    Drin | Reddit Zulu