Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you believe is a good "minimum" for goods on hand?

What do you believe is a good "minimum" for goods on hand?

Recently, in another thread, we were talking about maxed out barns, and what a nightmare that would be to transfer (for example) 154 BEMs to upgrade, particularly post-limit.

It made me very curious as to why the barn is that full. It was suggested to me to open a new thread in general discussion to reach more people, and maybe to get an answer to some of these questions. This is my original post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vever View Post
    Your post has me wondering... my next barn upgrade requires 55 bems each (total 165). I don't have my farm open in front of me right now, but I believe that will increase me from 900 to 950. Give or take.

With 900 barn spots at level 86, I pretty much always have around 200 open spots. I believe I can maintain this size for quite a while.
    I intentionally do not keep more than 12 of anything in stock at any given time (except parts of course).

I assume that people with larger barns keep larger numbers of items, and now I'm wondering why. I should probably start a new thread to answer that question, but maybe you can just tell me. I can understand if a few things go over, like popcorn, since townies and boats often ask for 10+, and the shorter timed juices. Basic things like sugar and dairy make sense to be over. And I can also understand items you might have Tom running for, just to stock up (like lobster items, feather items, diamond rings), but what would be the point of keeping - for example - 30 white sweaters?

I have seen screenshots in the past where people would have upwards of 100 of each item. I just don't get that at all... any thoughts on why? Is there a play style that would ever require you to have 100 of anything on hand?
    Just to expound a little further, if I could, I would keep more sugars and cheeses, but I try to always have my machines going, so I rarely have more than a few of each of those on hand. This is pretty much true for any sub-ingredients. The only way for me to stock up on sugars and cheeses is to not actually play, but to pop in on my days off and fill those ovens while ignoring the others.

For all my end products in the initial machines (grilled items, cakes, juices, baked goods, etc), I don't keep more than 12, and at the end of the day I will often sell 4 so that I have 8, and that gives me something to put in the oven when I'm not in need of anything specific.

For all the end products in many later machines (like salads, sandwiches, hot dogs), I rarely have more than 6-8. Things like the hat machine, the flower shop, and the hot dog stand, often sit idle because no one is asking me for them. In the case of bouquets, I almost never make them. There are too many in the DD for me to bother. Same with red hats, can always find those. The black and lavender hats I make when I can, but I rarely have extra feathers to do so. Most of the time I only have 2 or 3 of each, and 2 or 3 of each blanket and pillow.

I never have honey, wax, feathers, or lobster. As soon as I get these things, they go into something else.

I don't want to imply that my play style is better than anyone else's, I'm just curious as to why someone needs to have 50 or 100+ blue sweaters.

Edit to correct my numbers now that I'm looking at my farm - my barn storage is currently at 1612/1800, 55 of each BEM to upgrade. I don't know why I thought it was half that lol
    Last edited by Vever; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:14 PM.

Depends on several factors like gameplay style, trading or not trading, barn capacity etc. With my barn capacity of 15000 (lvl 86)i really don't need to worry about optimal amounts stored.
    My main concern is the trash that is accumulating in my barn. I tend to chuck stuff down my barn hallway and promptly forget about it. Mutated packrat behavior.
    It feels like some bicycle 24-gearbox: there is always a higher and a lower gear no matter what gear you are on.
    To better answer your question, when i had a much smaller barn, (4000) i decided that my optimal stored amount was 7 each item, a few more for "slow" items, a few less for easily found items in the paper. Worked very good if only playing town and the occasional "fat" truck request, but insufficient for the regular boat requests (which i dont do except the puzzle boats)
    Last edited by BULIGO; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:46 PM.

I have 10 of everything, with 100 sugar, dairy and 50 popcorn and bread.
    I sell all my EM over what I need for the next upgrade as I get them, as by the time I get my low level one, the rest have already shown up
    Crops - 200 of each at least
    Last edited by VulcanforHayDay; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:33 PM.

My barn is at 4100 and has 4079 products in it atm. I am close to a silo upgrade which needs 99 of each (Silo at 4000 space) and I keep 105 nails and panels (the rest gets sold in my shop) until I get the missing 30 screws.

I keep a maximum of 150 items of any one kind. Anything above that gets sold or used. I have loads of town expansion material that I won't really need anytime soon because I only play the town when there is an event or for derby tasks. I still keep them because they are pretty rare to me and if I do manage to level up I can usually upgrade 3 or 4 buildings right away.

The next thing I have lots (more than 120 each) of is mining tools and axes, I use the tools only for derby tasks or if my barn is full and I need to make space or if I have over 150 of one type. Axes used to be so hard to come by... maybe some other people remember the struggle again I don't actually need that many but I don't like dead bushes or trees so I get as many axes as I possibly can. Same for saws but I use those more often and "only" have about 30 of them. (I kept some dead trees for autumn decoration but never harvest more trees than I have saws for so I can clear them immediately).

Then I have about 100 bacon and 100 eggs and about 50 milk, not because I need them but they accumulate through derby and sun tasks. Those will be the first things I sell if I run out of space. Dairy and sugar mill are also running constantly, sometimes I will have 50-100 of each, sometimes only 20 or so.

"Normal" products I tend to keep 10 - 15 of each. I usually have no or only 1 to 3 lobster/feather products and sandwiches or salads and posta dishes. For some reason I'm struggeling to make enough olive oil and mayonaise. Those are my least favourite products and I make them only if I really need them (I would more likely trash a task/send a boat or townie away than make seafood pizza/salad or any sandwich for example).
    Exceptions are popcorn (I have around 40 normal/spicy), bread and other items that you need lots of for boats.

So no 100 white sweaters but still an almost full barn

Edit: I forgot animal feed which I also have 20 - 30 of from each type, appart from town animals which are always sleeping unless there is a wheat task
    Last edited by OutOfIdeas; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:31 PM.
    Thank you very much to TerMinus Prime for this beautiful signature!

I play Hay Day and Clash of Clans.
    (English is not my first language. I'm sorry for any mistakes.)

What do you believe is a good "minimum" for goods on hand?

The answer to this question is that it is very good to have at least 15 products of each type.
    Very rough calculations: 12 pieces of ship loading + 3 pieces for city guests. (There are exceptions.)
    I am striving for this. I am trying to enlarge my barn for this.
    Some players (who have a large barn), for example, have many sweaters with which you can close someone else’s ship or put them in the kiosk as an aid if you need to close your ship ...

With all of the different playing styles, you will get many different answers. Here is where I am at and why.

our former leader going back a few years kept 60 jams. I asked her why she needed so many jams and she said that she wanted to be prepared to help a hoodie if they had a jam boat. I asked her, but why 60 and she replied “what if everyone had a jam boat?”

I asked her how she kept so much stuff and she said you force yourself to. Set a number as a target for certain things.

as a result, I started increasing my silo and the amounts I keep in it. My first page crops I keep over 300. Most of the rest I keep between 50 and 80 of each. I have not increased these amounts in a couple of years.

for the barn?

i keep most of my juices and jams at 60 now. The exception being the newer ones... I know not why My dairy and sugar hang around 100 with much thanks to the farm helpers. My axes and saws have blown to 300 of each. My barn and silo expansion materials go into layaway, I don’t keep other EMs, popcorn, rustic bouquets or other easy to find/make items

the town gives me much mining materials.

i am not one who likes clutter, but keeping and growing a large barn has required forced hoarding on my part. I have quite a few zero items as well
    Last edited by WussyPuss; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:10 PM.
    Farm 141
    CoC TH11 BhB9 AQ 50 BK 50 GW 20
    established level 17 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

Quote Originally Posted by WussyPuss View Post

the quantity is impressive

Quote Originally Posted by j18a View Post
    the quantity is impressive

lol, not impressive to many I used to feel like I was wearing no clothes when I posted pics like this, but it does not bother me anymore.

other peoples barn contents blow my mind!

btw... here is the basement of my barn

Last edited by WussyPuss; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:26 PM.
    Farm 141
    CoC TH11 BhB9 AQ 50 BK 50 GW 20
    established level 17 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

having so many deficits at hand is a dream of many

Quote Originally Posted by WussyPuss View Post
    btw... here is the basement of my barn

oops........