Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Why was the base made to be a rotated square?

Why was the base made to be a rotated square?

Wouldn't it hard to be a straight square instead of being rotated by π/2 rad (90)? What was the decision behind it when the game was created? Would it be impossible to do?

Worship the 9 Titans
    (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)

Centennial Club
    I’d say that in this orientation, it gives a (false, but working) feeling of the game being 3D. Having a straight square (so looking at everything from the front) might take away that, making the game look flat/2D?

Just guessing here. Almost all games with a similar UI/style I have played have had the same rotated view on the base, but I have never asked the question as to why exactly.

With square buildings placed on the map, 2d image portraying a height will not block items behind them when looking at them from a corner, since it is an isometric view.
    Last edited by Warios; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:39 PM.
    Level: 256 | TH12 | GG 2B
    Highest Trophy Count:5376 | Donations: 1.26 million | Hero Levels: 170
    Leader of Rogue Elite
    #8200L0UJ
    Retired League Clan and Players recruiting experienced attackers to play in a relaxed and fun environment.
    ​Our Discord link https://discord.gg/pwz4W2h

Its an isometric view, which gives the impression of 3D while only consuming rendering resources of 2D drafting. Saves on the design-side work and allows low grade phones to still have the capability of running the game.

The isometric view gives as mentioned by others a better sense of ‘depth’, in 2D, and far less consuming of resources than a real 3D.
    This reminded me of that (old?) website giving a tool to design bases in 2D ‘square’, not the most pleasing view :

Centennial Club
    isometric 3d, if you ever grew up in the 1970s/80s these were how the games and arcade machines were done, a means of 3d effect. Other than platform and other 2d. Check out the spectrum 48k emulator/commodore 64 one for further retro gaming. My first example of gaming was having to type about 2000 lines of code in from a book to actually play a game - not easy when some of the code in the printed and published book had typo errors.... and you had to figure them out...

2000 programs for the zx81 nice...

and don't get me started with wire-frame elite... zoomed in no docking computer, is that the outside wireframe of the spacestation, or is that the inside, 50/50 chance. Ok load again, new player: Commander Jameson.

For the people who are eternally young.
    Last edited by 0x0000000167; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x0000000167 View Post
    isometric 3d, if you ever grew up in the 1970s/80s these were how the games and arcade machines were done, a means of 3d effect. Other than platform and other 2d. Check out the spectrum 48k emulator/commodore 64 one for further retro gaming. My first example of gaming was having to type about 2000 lines of code in from a book to actually play a game - not easy when some of the code in the printed and published book had typo errors.... and you had to figure them out...

2000 programs for the zx81 nice...

and don't get me started with wire-frame elite... zoomed in no docking computer, is that the outside wireframe of the spacestation, or is that the inside, 50/50 chance. Ok load again, new player: Commander Jameson.

For the people who are eternally young.
    oh.... you ARE (as) old (as me)
    I painfully remember typing the hexa directly into that 8-bit processor , by pokes and peeks
    Good old times, and I’m here wondering how to create a graphic rendering in html lolol.

ps: I’m from the times when CAD appeared and one had to run the pascal codes in the compiler then wait feverishly for hours to not get the dreaded error messages... all that to run it to the postprocessing for a computer controlled machine, and machine a piece of expanded foam (to not ruin the whole machine by an unfortunate tool reset while machining - been there, done that ). good(?) ole’ times.

Edit: Had to read that ‘Elite’ reference multiple times ... my brain refusing to acquiesce that it’d seen that, and seen the start so many times , until it finally hit me (hard): I loved that game! and hated it!

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    You guys realize this is an English forum right.....

(only joking, please carry on)

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

Centennial Club
    i remember having a multiinterface 3 for my 48k spectrum that I had modded to have a hard spectrum keyboard (no longer rubber keyboard), to put the pokes/peeks in. J "" code.... (load code)

currently downloaded marvin (spectrum emulator) and playing Kaos. I disbelieve that green dragon ( oh no its' not an illusion, magic wood or run?)

Quazatron is also a really good example of both a isometric 3d game and the principles of NOT, OR, AND, XOR gates in a game that is isometric 3d. try it on marvin. you will understand my opinion. originally games had a little more learning built around them in a teaching capacity to get new concepts over. I only realised this game from1984 was doing this when I started learning programming for real.
    Last edited by 0x0000000167; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:49 AM.