Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gold name for battle pass like in clash royale

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by toofinedog View Post
    The Supercell dev teams for Brawl Stars and Clash Royale do this (chromatic and gold, respectively), so it's not about privacy at all. It's just the choice of the Clash team to not do it at the present time. Though it achieves nothing and is completely unnecessary, I actually like the chromatic theme because the color shifting is dynamic and fun to look at while the original name color customizations are drab. I do believe there is an option not to use a colored name for boring people. If privacy was a legitimate issue, which I maintain is not, and the option were added to retain your original name color, then people will have to look at your hero skins, which you *maybe* purchased with gems, instead of your name. You aren't being doxed for spending $5.

All that said, if it's something they can easily change while they're in that part of the code (which is how it has been described how they determine they'll make minor QOL changes), go for it, but please don't go out of the way to add it when there are more pressing update needs.
    I have to disagree Toofine. Although I have purchased a couple of gold passes, I do not equip the skins since i have no interest in playing dress-up with my heroes. I purchase the pass for everything else it gives me. That being said, I dont believe it is anyone’s business but my own On what and when I spend money. The first person that says “donate now please, I know you have 1 gem donates” will be the last person to make that demand. I dont advertise my spending to strangers and certainly wont advertise my spending to strangers on the internet. For me, it is 100% a privacy issue.

As to being able to toggle the gold lettering off, I believe it should be the other way around. If you feel the need to brag about your spending to strangers, feel free and toggle it ON. The default should be OFF. Similar mindset to your email password, default is secret, the only way it gets shared is by your own choice.
    Last edited by Tosti111; August 12th, 2020 at 02:09 PM.
    OP Defense: Any defense the poster doest’t like or know how to work around, nullifies their attack or denies them their rightful three star.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    I have to disagree Toofine. Although I have purchased a couple of gold passes, I do not equip the skins since i have no interest in playing dress-up with my heroes. I purchase the pass for everything else it gives me. That being said, I dont believe it is anyone’s business but my own On what and when I spend money. The first person that says “donate now please, I know you have 1 gem donates” will be the last person to make that demand. I dont advertise my spending to strangers and certainly wont advertise my spending to strangers on the internet. For me, it is 100% a privacy issue.

As to being able to toggle the gold lettering off, I believe it should be the other way around. If you feel the need to brag about your spending to strangers, feel free and toggle it ON. The default should be OFF. Similar mindset to your email password, default is secret, the only way it gets shared is by your own choice.
    I understand your points.

I don’t have those kind of people in my clan either, but I’m not afraid to tell people “NO”. I have made it quite clear I will one-gem when it is convenient for me, not for my clanmates. If someone requests multiple 5-6 space troops, I will train them, but if someone wants three ice golems, I will gem them. Fewer gems usually means greater convenience to me, but I’m not beyond one-gemming everyone’s defensive troops in CWL, because the usual standard of gemming saving time is also convenient.

As for switching the colored name on, that seems totally fine. That’s how Brawl Stars works. You get the brawl pass, and you can choose from a white name or different chromatic names. If you don’t get it, you can choose from white and the other static colors. I’m not sure how it goes on Clash Royale, because I’ve never purchased their gold pass, but on there it announces to your clan you got the pass and gives 500 gold to any clanmate who taps the button on the announcement, so you can’t hide the fact you bought it.

Notifying others of in-game purchases can’t be compared to sharing your password, because you should never have cause to share a password. Someone knowing you made a purchase does not adversely affect your security and well-being like a password breach would. However, someone knowing the intimate details of the purchase, like your credit card number, is definitely a problem. That information is not shared.

If a person notices you bought a new car, you aren’t having your privacy violated. You don’t have to share the details of your loan, your down payment, or your monthly payment, and you certainly don’t have to let them drive it just because you have it and they want it.

Forum Elder
    I understand your points.

I don’t have those kind of people in my clan either, but I’m not afraid to tell people “NO”. I have made it quite clear I will one-gem when it is convenient for me, not for my clanmates. If someone requests multiple 5-6 space troops, I will train them, but if someone wants three ice golems, I will gem them. Fewer gems usually means greater convenience to me, but I’m not beyond one-gemming everyone’s defensive troops in CWL, because the usual standard of gemming saving time is also convenient.

As for switching the colored name on, that seems totally fine. That’s how Brawl Stars works. You get the brawl pass, and you can choose from a white name or different chromatic names. If you don’t get it, you can choose from white and the other static colors. I’m not sure how it goes on Clash Royale, because I’ve never purchased their gold pass, but on there it announces to your clan you got the pass and gives 500 gold to any clanmate who taps the button on the announcement, so you can’t hide the fact you bought it.

Notifying others of in-game purchases can’t be compared to sharing your password, because you should never have cause to share a password. Someone knowing you made a purchase does not adversely affect your security and well-being like a password breach would. However, someone knowing the intimate details of the purchase, like your credit card number, is definitely a problem. That information is not shared.

If a person notices you bought a new car, you aren’t having your privacy violated. You don’t have to share the details of your loan, your down payment, or your monthly payment, and you certainly don’t have to let them drive it just because you have it and they want it.
    I agree with almost everything you state with one exception. When I buy a new car no one seems to think they are entitled to ask to buy them lunch since I obviously have money. if they are aware I have bought the gold pass many seem to feel entitled to ask to gem troops for them. I would rather not be put into the position of having to say no, not because i cant say it but because I would prefer the question wasnt asked in the first place and avoid the awkwardness (at best) that follows it.
    Last edited by Tosti111; August 12th, 2020 at 02:51 PM.
    OP Defense: Any defense the poster doest’t like or know how to work around, nullifies their attack or denies them their rightful three star.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #84
    The original answer was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Just like a player's spending habits with regards to how many Gems or offers they've purchased, whether someone upgrades to the Gold Pass or not is only the business of the person buying it. There are no visual indicators to any other player whether or not they purchased it. There is no need for any other visual notification, apart from the hero skin.
    And the most recent official answer is quoted here: July 2019 AMA

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell]
    q: Will we have miscellaneous perks like in Clash Royale e.g Gold Name in chat for Season Pass?
    a: When we released the Season Challenges, we wanted to let players keep a low profile as to whether or not they upgraded to the Gold Pass, given how some of the community can antagonize players who spend money in the game. We didn't want to paint a giant target on them. However, given that if they have a Hero Skin unlocked, that's a pretty good indicator that someone did upgrade to the Gold Pass. I don't know of any special flair or features we plan on adding to Gold Pass members, but it's something certainly we could look at.
    Last edited by SharkyFinn; August 12th, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 20 - 727 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Contact on Groupme

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    I agree with almost everything you state with one exception. When I buy a new car no one seems to think they are entitled to ask to buy them lunch since I obviously have money. if they are aware I have bought the gold pass many seem to feel entitled to ask to gem troops for them. I would rather not be put into the position of having to say no, not because i cant say it but because I would prefer the question wasnt asked in the first place and avoid the awkwardness (at best) that follows it.
    We can agree that people who want to ride on others’ coattails or want handouts can be obnoxious, and players asking for one-gemmed troops is definitely on a smaller scale and less of a social faux pas than asking for real world goods solely due to another’s economic status which I think makes some feel it’s acceptable to be virtual beggars. Those beggars must remember the purchase of the gold pass does not immediately confer all the benefits of the pass which must still be earned through gameplay, so expecting someone to quick donate just because they have the pass is misguided. The gems it takes to donate are not directly included in the pass and don’t materialize out of the aether.

If given the option, I would still emblazon my name in gold, but I don’t really care if it was added and don’t think it should be a priority. I would hope if they do “waste” their time adding it, those of you who don’t want it don’t have to display it if it would cause problems for you.

Based on Sharky’s quote, it looks like a solid “maybe but nah”.
    Last edited by toofinedog; August 12th, 2020 at 04:58 PM.

We can agree that people who want to ride on others’ coattails or want handouts can be obnoxious, and players asking for one-gemmed troops is definitely on a smaller scale and less of a social faux pas than asking for real world goods solely due to another’s economic status which I think makes some feel it’s acceptable to be virtual beggars. Those beggars must remember the purchase of the gold pass does not immediately confer all the benefits of the pass which must still be earned through gameplay, so expecting someone to quick donate just because they have the pass is misguided. The gems it takes to donate are not directly included in the pass and don’t materialize out of the aether.

If given the option, I would still emblazon my name in gold, but I don’t really care if it was added and don’t think it should be a priority. I would hope if they do “waste” their time adding it, those of you who don’t want it don’t have to display it if it would cause problems for you.

Based on Sharky’s quote, it looks like a solid “maybe but nah”.
    My main reason is I don't like the class distinction it makes. Now, if I buy a pass or scenery, or whatever, players can obviously tell by looking at my base but it's not in their face like it would be if my name were a different color in chat. There has always been some friction between those who spend and those who don't. There is also the fact that some just can't afford to spend on a game. A gold or special colored name for spending money might dissuade me from spending. I prefer to keep it out of the chat. I also agree with your last point, sounds like a not likely from Darian.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    My main reason is I don't like the class distinction it makes. Now, if I buy a pass or scenery, or whatever, players can obviously tell by looking at my base but it's not in their face like it would be if my name were a different color in chat. There has always been some friction between those who spend and those who don't. There is also the fact that some just can't afford to spend on a game. A gold or special colored name for spending money might dissuade me from spending. I prefer to keep it out of the chat. I also agree with your last point, sounds like a not likely from Darian.
    I was thinking of it being visible when you’re viewing someone’s profile or nexting. I can definitely see how gold vs regular names in clan chat could be too distracting and turn the game from Clash of Clans to Clash of Castes.