Thread: How to improve a very forgettable magic item

Lightbulb How to improve a very forgettable magic item

This post might be a bit long, so be sure to read the TL;DR at the end of the post.

Before going into the details, let’s get one thing clear. The research potion sucks. Disagree? Go use one and you’ll see what I mean. The 70 gem cost is far too high for the results it delivers. I’ve thought up some ideas on how to improve the usability and value of the potion in comparison to its very useful counterpart, the builder potion.

The units being used in this post
    Builder Potions: equal to 285 gems or 30 league medals
    Research Potions: equal to 70 gems or 10 league medals
    Builders: equal to 1 builder potion or 5 research potions
    Lab: equal to 1 research potion or 1/5 builder potion

Introduction
    ​The research potion boosts the lab by 10x for 1 hour. This is very similar to the builder potion, which boosts all builders by 10x for 1 hour. Both reduce their respective timers by 10 hours.

The research potion costs 70 gems to buy from the shop. The builder potion costs 285 gems. Pretty good, except you only have one lab, and you get 5 builders.

That means the builder potion is five (5) times the value of the research potion (those with OTTO, pipe down). If you divide 285 gems (1 builder potion) by 70 gems (1 research potion), you get just over 4 times. That means the research potion (RP for short) is 4 times cheaper than the builder potion (BP for short). So the costs aren’t really that far off.

Fix 1
    Add a second lab. Yeah no. Moving on.

Fix 2
    Reduce the cost of the RP from 70 to 285/5 which is 57 (can be rounded to 55). This will make the RP even value with the BP and therefore make things more even with magic items. We will need to reduce league ship cost to 5 medals, however, and this seems super low for 10 free hours off your lab upgrade.

Fix 3
    Increase the BP cost from 285 to 70x5 which is 350. This would also mean bringing the league shop cost to a whopping 50 medals! I don’t think the massive medal cost is at all worth it, and this would severely hurt the value of the BP. Don’t like this idea but maybe you do.

Fix 4
    Increase the potency of the RP by a factor of 5. This would mean bringing the boost multiplier from 10x to 50x! This will give you 50 free hours which is over 2 days! Considering the length of lab upgrades at higher levels, this would be a huge help. But is it too much? Obviously the cost will be increased to 285 to match the BP.

Fix 5

Increase the RP duration to 5 hours. This will also net you 50 free hours but it will take longer to get there and it may not achieve much value immediately. This one seems like the best fix, and cost will be balanced with the BP.

Fix 6
    Have the RP potency/duration stack with each builder you get. This will encourage players to get 5 builders and may be a cool addition to the game. For example, with 2 builders RP will either boost by 20x or last for 2 hours. With 3 30x/3h. With 4 40x/4h. With 5 50x/5h. Cost will be increased to 285.

Fix 7
    Have occasional free RPs in the trader’s shop. If the ratio of free:full cost is 5:1 then they will be worth buying from the trader. This seems like too much, however, since 5 free RPs for every 1 70-gem RP seems super stacked. If you have a better way of calculating this, please let me know.

TL;DR
    There are many ways to increase the value of the research potion. I would love if one could be implemented, as this item is really suffering. If you use it, the cost of gemming an upgrade is reduced by less than 70, the cost of a research potion in the trader’s shop. This needs to be changed.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end. I really appreciate any feedback since it means my post is being seen by a lot of people.
    Last edited by zeldagod14; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:28 AM.

Im super proud to boast this awesome pic! Thanks TullSadum for signing me up and DragonX101 for the sig pic!

I would like to support this idea

A few months ago I started a second account that is now a new th10. On every th level so far I was able to finish upgrading the buildings and walls WAY before I could finish the labratory upgrades. I upgraded the th as soon as I had no use for one type of resource (always gold) so it also stacks (I will have to finish the lab upgrades from the previous th while I already work on my buildings for the new th so it will get worse and take even longer with every new th level).

It is great that the research potion was introduced at all but I have to admit that I do not buy them from the trader or the league medal shop because I think they are too expensive for what I get in return. I'm happy about every "free" one I get (from events or clan games) but they are not offered very often and therefore only help to speed things up a little. A more valuable research potion would be appreciated
    Thank you very much to TerMinus Prime for this beautiful signature!

I play Hay Day and Clash of Clans.
    (English is not my first language. I'm sorry for any mistakes.)

Pro Member Adrian"TheRanger"Malhiers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldagod14 View Post
    This post might be a bit long, so be sure to read the TL;DR at the end of the post.

Before going into the details, letís get one thing clear. The research potion sucks. Disagree? Go use one and youíll see what I mean. The 70 gem cost is far too high for the results it delivers. Iíve thought up some ideas on how to improve the usability and value of the potion in comparison to its very useful counterpart, the builder potion.

The units being used in this post
    Builder Potions: equal to 285 gems or 30 league medals
    Research Potions: equal to 70 gems or 10 league medals
    Builders: equal to 1 builder potion or 5 research potions
    Lab: equal to 1 research potion or 1/5 builder potion

Introduction
    ​The research potion boosts the lab by 10x for 1 hour. This is very similar to the builder potion, which boosts all builders by 10x for 1 hour. Both reduce their respective timers by 10 hours.

The research potion costs 70 gems to buy from the shop. The builder potion costs 285 gems. Pretty good, except you only have one lab, and you get 5 builders.

That means the builder potion is five (5) times the value of the research potion (those with OTTO, pipe down). If you divide 285 gems (1 builder potion) by 70 gems (1 research potion), you get just over 4 times. That means the research potion (RP for short) is 4 times cheaper than the builder potion (BP for short). So the costs arenít really that far off.

Fix 1
    Add a second lab. Moving on.

Fix 2
    Reduce the cost of the RP from 70 to 285/5 which is 57 (can be rounded to 55). This will make the RP even value with the BP and therefore make things more even with magic items. We will need to reduce league ship cost to 5 medals, however, and this seems super low for 10 free hours off your lab upgrade.

Fix 3
    Increase the BP cost from 285 to 70x5 which is 350. This would also mean bringing the league shop cost to a whopping 50 medals! I donít think the massive medal cost is at all worth it, and this would severely hurt the value of the BP. Donít like this idea but maybe you do.

Fix 4
    Increase the potency of the RP by a factor of 5. This would mean bringing the boost multiplier from 10x to 50x! This will give you 50 free hours which is over 2 days! Considering the length of lab upgrades at higher levels, this would be a huge help. But is it too much? Obviously the cost will be increased to 285 to match the BP.

Fix 5

Increase the RP duration to 5 hours. This will also net you 50 free hours but it will take longer to get there and it may not achieve much value immediately. This one seems like the best fix, and cost will be balanced with the BP.

Fix 6
    Have the RP potency/duration stack with each builder you get. This will encourage players to get 5 builders and may be a cool addition to the game. For example, with 2 builders RP will either boost by 20x or last for 2 hours. With 3 30x/3h. With 4 40x/4h. With 5 50x/5h. Cost will be increased to 285.

Fix 7
    Have occasional free RPs in the traderís shop. If the ratio of free:full cost is 5:1 then they will be worth buying from the trader. This seems like too much, however, since 5 free RPs for every 1 70-gem RP seems super stacked. If you have a better way of calculating this, please let me know.

TL;DR
    There are many ways to increase the value of the research potion. I would love if one could be implemented, as this item is really suffering. If you use it, the cost of gemming an upgrade is reduced by less than 70, the cost of a research potion in the traderís shop. This needs to be changed.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end. I really appreciate any feedback since it means my post is being seen by a lot of people.
    I'm all for the idea of balancing the RP and giving it more value. I don't think Fix number 1 will ever be implemented in the game and the fix that caught my eye the most was Fix number 2 because let's face it, it reduces the cost of the potion. All the other fixes are good as well but with Fix number 2 nothing special will be experimented and the only thing that'll change is the cost so that's why I think that's the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian"TheRanger"Malhiers View Post
    I'm all for the idea of balancing the RP and giving it more value. I don't think Fix number 1 will ever be implemented in the game and the fix that caught my eye the most was Fix number 2 because let's face it, it reduces the cost of the potion. All the other fixes are good as well but with Fix number 2 nothing special will be experimented and the only thing that'll change is the cost so that's why I think that's the best one.
    Fix number 1 was a joke lol. Thanks for the support, I feel I put too much thought into this.

Im super proud to boast this awesome pic! Thanks TullSadum for signing me up and DragonX101 for the sig pic!

Pro Member Adrian"TheRanger"Malhiers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldagod14 View Post
    Fix number 1 was a joke lol. Thanks for the support, I feel I put too much thought into this.
    I guess you did put a lot of thought into it but that's good as that shows your dedication towards fixing and improving the game. Anyways I hope SC implements Fix number 2 cause it sounds pretty good.

Fix 4 + Fix 7. Please do it, SC.

Centennial Club
    And that is why I only receive Research Potions from anywhere OTHER than the trader. Keep in mind though that besides Heroes, the Lab is the second greatest thing that most gem. Why? Well of course, you want max troops. Since SC has ruled out the idea of upgrading more than one troop/spell, we had to either gem them or wait it out before Magic Items appeared on the table. Hopefully in the future we will have access to either better items or...maybe something completely new. Who knows?

2 labs ?!?

Credit for sig: DragonX101
    Credit for avatar: DragonX101
    Need a clan? Join Here
    My stats
    Interested in GFX? Go here

Quote Originally Posted by KatanaMaster12 View Post
    2 labs ?!?
    Edited the post to show that’s a joke