Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Reason x86 isnt supported anymore?

  1. #11
    Centennial Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    One of the major reasons we were forced to drop x86 support so quickly was due to Android dropping support for various 3rd party middleware that we used to help run the game on x86 devices. Middleware is a kind of software that works as a bridge between the operating system and various databases and applications. Because these middleware programs were dropped, the game simply can't be run on x86 devices.

    And why was there no prior notice given to this may i ask sir?

  2. #12
    Forum Elder ElectroWiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Riding the Electro Dragon
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobi83 View Post
    And why was there no prior notice given to this may i ask sir?
    Iím sure if they knew earlier then they would have said but it seems like it was a pretty abrupt change that they didnít expect until it was sprung upon them.

  3. #13
    Forum Master wotanwaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectroWiz View Post
    Iím sure if they knew earlier then they would have said but it seems like it was a pretty abrupt change that they didnít expect until it was sprung upon them.
    But this new explanation could have been posted last week instead of just saying they are no longer supported.

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Darian[Supercell]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Under a Rock.
    Posts
    4,161
    Unfortunately the timelines were concurrent with when we released the update. We would've maybe been able to give about 24-hour notice which wouldn't have made much of an impact.

    The bottom line is that, yes, it is unfortunate and we wish the timing could have been better but there wasn't really much we could do about it.
    AKA Tank Puppy

    ďIn ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.Ē
    Terry Pratchett

  5. #15
    Forum Elder Doddsyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the builders secret underground lair
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    One of the major reasons we were forced to drop x86 support so quickly was due to Android dropping support for various 3rd party middleware that we used to help run the game on x86 devices. Middleware is a kind of software that works as a bridge between the operating system and various databases and applications. Because these middleware programs were dropped, the game simply can't be run on x86 devices.
    I take it you mean things similar to OpenGL and DirectX (are these still used?) that you get on desktop computers?
    COC: Working on TH12 Clash Profile

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Darian[Supercell]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Under a Rock.
    Posts
    4,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddsyuk View Post
    I take it you mean things similar to OpenGL and DirectX (are these still used?) that you get on desktop computers?

    Not really, but close. In many instances middleware can serve a function similar to a software driver. Android uses middleware that's compiled to the devices machine language. Machine language is program code written specifically for a CPU. For example, many Android devices use an ARM CPU. The middleware for those was not dropped, thus support is still provided - meaning we can run the game on those devices. Because the support for x86 was dropped from some of these middleware, it meant that many applications simply can't run on that specific CPU anymore.
    AKA Tank Puppy

    ďIn ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.Ē
    Terry Pratchett

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Not really, but close. In many instances middleware can serve a function similar to a software driver. Android uses middleware that's compiled to the devices machine language. Machine language is program code written specifically for a CPU. For example, many Android devices use an ARM CPU. The middleware for those was not dropped, thus support is still provided - meaning we can run the game on those devices. Because the support for x86 was dropped from some of these middleware, it meant that many applications simply can't run on that specific CPU anymore.
    So goodbye Clash of Clans....

  8. #18
    Centennial Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by minion1516 View Post
    So goodbye Clash of Clans....
    Not goodbye..
    Just need a new device that is compatible..

    😁😁

  9. #19
    Pro Member Adrian"TheRanger"Malhiers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Kerala, India.
    Posts
    554
    Get a new cheap device only to play Clash

  10. #20
    Forum Master wotanwaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian"TheRanger"Malhiers View Post
    Get a new cheap device only to play Clash
    Not too cheap - it must work for years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •