Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Sandbagging in cwl

  1. #1

    Sandbagging in cwl

    Our clan is in crystal 2 30x30 but we shouldn’t be. A clan that was clearly stronger than us let us win at the end of last season and we moved up. Now we’re stuck at position 6 because the bottom 2 clans are only using half their attacks. I know someone has to be sixth, but the bottom half of our clan are 9’s and 10’s attacking 11’s and 12’s and they’re whining a lot lol. Our choices are to switch to 15x15 next season, stop attacking this season so maybe we drop down (although I think they’d just copy us), or do 30x30 again and sandbag ourselves next season. After typing this, the only choice that doesn’t involve intentionally losing is switching to 15x15, which is a shame.

  2. #2
    WussyPuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Richmond, BC Canada
    Posts
    5,939
    Having experienced Master, Crystal and Gold leagues, I find better competition in crystal with most clans showing up to battle and you can see the top and bottom pretty quick.

    we should be in master, but we just are not that good. Our happy place is in crystal 1. We try to strategically finish 2nd, but it does not always work.

    find your sweet spot
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRVA View Post
    Our clan is in crystal 2 30x30 but we shouldn’t be. A clan that was clearly stronger than us let us win at the end of last season and we moved up. Now we’re stuck at position 6 because the bottom 2 clans are only using half their attacks. I know someone has to be sixth, but the bottom half of our clan are 9’s and 10’s attacking 11’s and 12’s and they’re whining a lot lol. Our choices are to switch to 15x15 next season, stop attacking this season so maybe we drop down (although I think they’d just copy us), or do 30x30 again and sandbag ourselves next season. After typing this, the only choice that doesn’t involve intentionally losing is switching to 15x15, which is a shame.
    Farm 140
    CoC TH11 BhB9 AQ 50 BK 50 GW 20
    established level 17 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

    Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

  3. #3
    Forum Contender JusMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    amongst the stars
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRVA View Post
    Our clan is in crystal 2 30x30 but we shouldn’t be. A clan that was clearly stronger than us let us win at the end of last season and we moved up. Now we’re stuck at position 6 because the bottom 2 clans are only using half their attacks. I know someone has to be sixth, but the bottom half of our clan are 9’s and 10’s attacking 11’s and 12’s and they’re whining a lot lol. Our choices are to switch to 15x15 next season, stop attacking this season so maybe we drop down (although I think they’d just copy us), or do 30x30 again and sandbag ourselves next season. After typing this, the only choice that doesn’t involve intentionally losing is switching to 15x15, which is a shame.
    Or, you can go for it: at the beginning of a war, check where the lower ones can get one or sometimes two strategic stars maybe? If there are two already sandbagging you will not get below them - one of our clans is in exactly the same boat, second CWL in a row... we shouldn't be in Crystal I but we are ... it's bad for morale but we're trying to help people tough it out and we emphasize CWL is totally different from normal war and to not sweat the one or two star attacks [and the zero star ones either, even ... ]

    This CWL we're now going for at least 8 stars for everyone, and that's working, and we will have to accept this clan will remain in this tier this time around again ... due to the system being played, again ... [due to it not working due to the flawed basics ... but hey, that's another chapter altogether that apparently has to remain invisible]

  4. #4
    That’s good advice, but our lower level players aren’t our most mature members lol. Also, it’s a game...if it’s not fun, what’s the point? We’re probably gonna split and do 2 15x15’s next season.��

  5. #5
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    NE England, UK.
    Posts
    2,925
    Quote Originally Posted by JusMe View Post
    Or, you can go for it: at the beginning of a war, check where the lower ones can get one or sometimes two strategic stars maybe? If there are two already sandbagging you will not get below them - one of our clans is in exactly the same boat, second CWL in a row... we shouldn't be in Crystal I but we are ... it's bad for morale but we're trying to help people tough it out and we emphasize CWL is totally different from normal war and to not sweat the one or two star attacks [and the zero star ones either, even ... ]

    This CWL we're now going for at least 8 stars for everyone, and that's working, and we will have to accept this clan will remain in this tier this time around again ... due to the system being played, again ... [due to it not working due to the flawed basics ... but hey, that's another chapter altogether that apparently has to remain invisible]
    Need to elaborate on the flawed basics JusMe..
    Not sure which chapter has to remain invisible?..

    To OP.. CWL is unlike regular war.. The big difference is there is no weight.
    So armed with nothing but that information, it should be obvious that if an account is undersized, it is likely to struggle..

    There is no log, so no pressure.. Fun is where you find it, but cwl is a relaxing farming session for many.

    I won every war day since entry was sandbagged 6 seasons ago.. This season, on day 2, I scored 16 stars..
    Is no biggie, just means I am too far behind to promote this season.. Is a shrug.. Still medals headed my way end of the week..

    Any clan that approaches cwl with a regular war head on is gonna be real disappointed at some point, since success brings with it a stiffer challenge next season.
    Just tell them to chill, there is nothing at stake.
    Last edited by joshsgrandad; October 6th, 2019 at 08:29 PM.

  6. #6
    When I say sandbagging, I mean other clans are losing on purpose to move lower. The lower half of our clan is struggling to get even one star at this level, but we are not dropping down because 2 other, stronger clans want to drop down. So next session, they’ll crush their lower league and our th9’s and 10’s will struggle again in this same league.

    I know this is just how league war works, but it’s not much fun for them.

  7. #7
    Forum Veteran Thegreatpuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Druidia
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRVA View Post
    That’s good advice, but our lower level players aren’t our most mature members lol. Also, it’s a game...if it’s not fun, what’s the point? We’re probably gonna split and do 2 15x15’s next season.��
    By all means if you're not having fun don't do it.

    the trouble is if you can't find fun in attempting to attack up to optimize your stars you will be frustrated in CWL... at least assuming you're above average attackers. sandbagging or no, if you're above average you're going to be placed against heavier but weaker attackers a lot.

    Sandbagging is an option some choose to take. me personally, I've tried to help my clan understand the process and focus on doing the best they can with the hand we're dealt.

    many of the early complainers have come around. others still continue to whine about mismatches and don't seem to want to understand how it works.
    Last edited by Thegreatpuma; October 7th, 2019 at 02:15 PM.

  8. #8
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    NE England, UK.
    Posts
    2,925
    To be fair, I can understand some of the frustration, if they cant score..

    That said, I feel you are in a perfect scenario.. At the old clan, we loved to face opposition that were tanking.. It is a free win, and guaranteed our stay within the tier.

    No matter what tier you are in, there will be heavy rosters present.. The only difference is that lower down they dont always do their attacks, so accounts that are too small, or simply not good enough, will struggle anyway..
    I think with the revamped awards, the higher the tier you can occupy, the better it is, as the rewards are higher.

  9. #9
    Forum Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    The Water Seems Safe
    Posts
    8,799
    Sandbagging makes no sense.

    Generally if you finish 2nd in league X it is equal to the same medals as finishing 8th in league X+1

    So you get bumped up and get smoked you still get about the same overall medals and then compete next month after being demoted.
    Villains United #9UJLRUVU - L10 Clan - Friday Wars - Always looking for TH6+ looking to do clan games. War is optional but if you're green we expect 2 attacks.

  10. #10
    Pro Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavious View Post
    Sandbagging makes no sense.

    Generally if you finish 2nd in league X it is equal to the same medals as finishing 8th in league X+1

    So you get bumped up and get smoked you still get about the same overall medals and then compete next month after being demoted.
    This is only part of the medal calculation though. While you are correct that 2nd place in league X grants the same medals as 8th in league X + 1, you need to consider bonus medal packs. A team taking 2nd could win all 7 wars by just enough so that they don't get promoted. Even if they didn't win all 7, taking 8th in league X + 1 likely would mean 0 or 1 war win. So the bonus medals would make a difference.

    Then consider that staying in a lower league, a clan would be able to rotate players in and out more easily. This would allow for more overall clan medals as more players are able to participate.

    While sandbagging isn't as bad as it originally was, it can still happen. While this does lead to some of the perceived mismatches, I don't believe it accounts for all of them. I feel that most of the time the mismatches are caused by good attackers getting promoted into a league where the average roster is just stronger then what they can field.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •