Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Is CoC as an esport a good thing? I think not.

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyIrishman View Post
    Personally I don't care about esports so it doesn't matter to me, but from the information we heard recently that the October update won't have many changes because of the championships, or whatever it's called, is kind of annoying.

    The fact that the contest is delaying/slowing down game content isn't something I'm overly happy with.
    I couldnít agree more! Well said 👍

  2. #12
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by rvMatt View Post
    Iím concerned that making CoC a professional esport will split the goals of the development team. They need to make the game challenging and stable enough for paid professionals, but still satisfying for casual players. I think itís a tough line to walk.

    In other esports which are of a more ďus vs. themĒ nature ó or in traditional sports for that matter ó you can have recreational match ups that are fair, and pro ones that are fair. But CoC is different. We all use the same defenses and bases regardless of player ability. So the game must be hard enough so that even pros have trouble getting 3*, and non-pro players still need to face those same bases rather than bases suitable to their own level of play.

    Also, as with all e-sports, the creativity of the development team is now limited because the potential negative impact of major or interesting-but-flawed changes on professional players and leagues. I think the game will get stale, which a flaw seen in other games that have become full esports.
    Only reason I care about CoC as an esport is I get to watch really good players make attacks and learn from it. I'll never be a "fan" or care who wins. However, the balancing impact of having to make it difficult enough for pros to struggle to get 3's is a non-issue with me also...As a community, Drop the "it has to be 3 stars to be a good attack/fun mentality" I'm fine with 3 stars being the result of only an extremely well planned attack that takes advantage of the bases weakness and is nearly perfectly executed.
    My attacks are always awesome...just not necessarily in a good way.

    If you disagree with me, you are being toxic. If I disagree with you, I'm just speaking the truth.

  3. #13
    Forum Contender MasterEdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East of China, not that far away from Shanghai, or Hong Kong, just where my heart is...
    Posts
    4,539
    Personally, I don't think Clash of Clans has what it takes to join the big family of E-sports for way too many reasons.

    And as for those who say, that if CoC doesn't join E-sports it'll die sooner, think of other great games (even single-player ones) that are still played, strogner than ever, even years after release. Supercell is still in green numbers (I believe slightly higher after the release of Gold pass), and as long as the game keeps earning, they'll keep it up.

    However, I must agree with Irishman here - whole year without any new content for main hall up until now if we don't count few balance changes, and all that mostly because the Championship, that's just too much in my book.
    Leader of Slovak Brothers #2RJ2YCGR
    Lvl 235, maxed TH 12, my mini is an early TH11
    Vastness of Universe: Billions of galaxies... Trillions of stars... Countless planets... I ? I am anything but significant...

  4. #14
    Pro Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    649
    I think having the esports element will force Supercell to iron out bugs and issue better balance changes.

    Kinda disappointed that content for the general coc population is being pushed to one side for thr October championships.

    in my line of work, this wouldnt be seen as the fault of esports. Instead, this is down to poor project managment from the higher ups.

  5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterEdy View Post

    However, I must agree with Irishman here - whole year without any new content for main hall up until now if we don't count few balance changes, and all that mostly because the Championship, that's just too much in my book.
    First, I don't really agree with the "no new content" when we have had season challenges. We also had BH9.

    But second, what on earth majes you say "mostly because of the Championship" There won't be any major gameplay affecting update in this release because of it. But that is all, as far as I am aware. The bigger reason for not having a major main base release recently was almost certainly BH9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  6. #16
    Forum Contender MasterEdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East of China, not that far away from Shanghai, or Hong Kong, just where my heart is...
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    First, I don't really agree with the "no new content" when we have had season challenges. We also had BH9.

    But second, what on earth majes you say "mostly because of the Championship" There won't be any major gameplay affecting update in this release because of it. But that is all, as far as I am aware. The bigger reason for not having a major main base release recently was almost certainly BH9.
    Sigh.

    First please read what people say before replying to them, as I clearly said any new content for main hall up until now, and secondly, season challenges are no more new content than regular events we had already. No new troop, no new building, no new spell was added for the main hall.

    Secondly - please point me towards any major main village game-play changes that were made this year since the Championship started.


    /Edit: I thought we were told that development of BB wonít by any means slow down the development of main hall. Or did that change recently?
    Last edited by MasterEdy; 1 Week Ago at 01:10 PM.

  7. #17
    I'm not concerned at all about the content side of this. It looks like we will be getting a new hall faster than the time it took to get the last new hall despite the addition of esports. Sure, maybe something like the finals could delay the release of something new by a short time period, but I don't see that as much of an issue at all, especially if the addition of esports makes the game last longer, makes it more profitable (so there is reason to keep adding new content), etc.

    I do have some concern over the balancing side of things because what is unbalanced for the very top less than a half a percent of players is not always the same as what is fun and balanced for the rest of us. That said, I think th12 has great balance and we have esports at the same time so....

    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. Click here for answer on how cc troops deploy (hint, it depends) and more info here. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

  8. #18
    rowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On a lenghty sabbatical
    Posts
    10,300
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveoUk View Post
    So if the outlook was one of two scenarios:

    A) no delay in content but remove the esport now created and game closes down sooner
    Or
    B) embrace the esport element knowing that occasionally it may delay content release but ensures long term investment and the game lasting longer
    ...
    Or is it (C): Carefully add new content to the Main Base that has been tested out and validated, while adding new content to the Builder Base as a proving ground ?

    Recently, Darian posted ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    For purposes of transparency, we don't have BH10 on any of our production roadmap for the next 12 months or so. Now, that's not to say we won't do a BH10 or add some more BH features, we just really need to strategize what direction we want the Builder Base to go. We may use it as a "testing ground" for new troop ideas or various interesting live ops events before rolling them out to the Home Village.
    I know there are people who have no interest in the Builder Base, and some whom even disdain it. But this thread, along with cited quote got me thinking. What if the Builder Base became a sandbox and proof of concept arena? Would people then look forward to constant content changes there, knowing that it could then be incorporated into the Main Base? Would be like giving all players access to a Dev Build to try out and test out. Would then players not only embrace the Builder Base, but actually look forward to changes there?

    Just some thoughts running through my head as I try to piece together the puzzle as to what the future may hold.
    Last edited by rowman; 1 Week Ago at 01:18 PM.

  9. #19
    Pro Member zeldagod14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Hyrule kingdom
    Posts
    614
    I think that if people are good at the game and they donít mind spending an absurd amount of time planning attacks and levelling their base that I could only dream of having because Iím super impatient and broke, then they can go ahead. This is also how Supercell can see firsthand the troops that may be OP or slightly under where they should be. Th12 revived the game imo, itís never been better.

    Im super proud to boast this awesome pic! Thanks TullSadum for signing me up and DragonX101 for the sig pic!

  10. #20
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,473
    They can and capable to gives all final team with devs device/apps ... Lock at th12 maximum
    Transferring bases easily
    So by no means esl final and new hall update have any relation ...
    Technically if October update drop with th13
    There's no problem with championship
    The only true story is th13 isn't yet ready

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •