Thread: BB trophy-pushing

BB trophy-pushing

So... Something people probably already know, but I’ve never thought about before, really.

Once upon a time, probably in BH 8 somewhere, I got to a PB of something like 4500. Then I didn’t get back to that for a loooooong time—not until this last month again. Was mostly around 3800-4200 depending on how much I played.

So last season, with a few upgrades, a base borrowed from Noc (thanks Noc!) a lot of BB challenges for clan games (heroes down in legends), and a couple of clock tower boosts where I kept going past 3 wins “just because”, I got up to 4750+.

But then...

I lost—not a few, but quite a few and was suddenly at like 4500, lol. So with a day left before season reset, I decided to use a couple of boosts and a clocktower potion to see if I could get a bit higher just for these prestige trophies I had never noticed before, lol.

So, in half an hour I was like back down to like 4350. Yay.

My question is...why does this happen? I haven’t downgraded anything and I’m not doing anything differently (for better or for worse) in my attacking. So how is it that I got to 4700 but then suddenly have a hard time getting back there?

I assume it’s what’s going on in the wider game. Is there some sort of cycle to this trophy pushing thing? How does it work? I know about people climbing back up right after season reset, but what goes on mid-later in the season?

And, next time I hit a new PB or get close to it, how do I know when to keep trying to improve on it, or when to say it’s at a nice point and just leave it alone so I don’t lose 300 in a day?

Thanks for the tips!
    Last edited by MommySnooks; October 2nd, 2019 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks Icey!

I need a new quote, though. Waiting for just the right one.

Forum Elder
    I ended last season around 4750 and i think having 2-3 different attacks is the key to climbing and maintaining. I didn't trophy push but dropped down to 4500ish during Clan games completing objectives instead of trying to win. As soon as i maxed out points and it came time to try and win again, i dropped 3 straight 100% using pekka/hogs. I'll get bases that's not the best option on so i'll use pekka/carts or drop minion and it didn't take long to be back to 4800. Things always got much harder after that.

If they have an exposed/easy to get too MT i'll use pekka/hogs. If they bury the BH behind 3 sets of walls in a corner i'll use minion drops only using enough loons and minions to get the BH, the drop the rest on the other side of the base for % and get 60-75% usually. If the BH is centered i might pekka/cart those.

First of all, everyone is going to be trying to push at the season end so expect to face a little stiffer competition when people actually care a little. BH is also super streaky for some reason, so I would catch and ride the win streak for a little while until you start to feel a little burned out. I would stop once you reach a place you are satisfied with and not try to gamble for more. This way, you can keep setting higher and higher goals every season end. Personally last season, I caught a win streak to rank 800 and decided that was good enough and I wouldn't attack anymore unless I fell out of the top 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by MommySnooks View Post
    My question is...why does this happen? I haven’t downgraded anything and I’m not doing anything differently (for better or for worse) in my attacking. So how is it that I got to 4700 but then suddenly have a hard time getting back there?
    What likely happened is either:

(a) you got a little lucky getting up to 4700, which is a little higher than your "natural" level. Lucky meaning you got other overranked opponents, or just a great matchup for your attacking style, or a good defensive matchup for your opponent's attacking style -

or - (b) your "natural" level is around 4700, and you hit it and then got unlucky - see point (a), but reverse it. Also, sometimes I find I get a bit frustrated after losing a few in a row, so I can compound my problems. I try to log off if I see this starting to happen.

BB can seem streaky at times, but usually ladder systems find an equilibrium - where your "natural" level is. Once there, you win on average over time about half your battles. Much like a coin flip, you might get heads 8 times in a row, but it's not because you're good at flipping heads and can repeat that skill - it's because sometimes those things happen, and in the long run, it will even out.

Also over time, your base gets stronger - but everyone else in your cup range is also upgrading, so this effect usually cancels out.

So how do you push higher? Practice different attacks and learn which ones work better against the different types of bases your run into. This means attacking beyond your three loot-acquiring attacks each day. Watch your defenses and adjust your base to protect the weak spots that are being exploited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexcrush View Post
    This is totally disgusting and disappointing TOO. Nothing new content, nothing new news. Gave a big DISLIKE

Thanks for the insight & advice. That helps put things into perspective. Much appreciated!

Thanks Icey!

Just to add 2 things:
    1. I use global & local rank to determine when to stop or keep pushing. My average ranking was around 20-40 locally and 800-1000 globally for the past 3 seasons. If I rank below those I know I can still climb, if I rank above those, I stop for the day or only try to get 3 wins until I fall below those average rank.

2. I don't push during Clock Tower boost or Clock Potion boost session. I tend to rush my attack so that each attack end quicker. It could be just me, but what I noticed is that I don't do so well during those boost session.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercfovia87 View Post
    Just to add 2 things:
    1. I use global & local rank to determine when to stop or keep pushing. My average ranking was around 20-40 locally and 800-1000 globally for the past 3 seasons. If I rank below those I know I can still climb, if I rank above those, I stop for the day or only try to get 3 wins until I fall below those average rank.

2. I don't push during Clock Tower boost or Clock Potion boost session. I tend to rush my attack so that each attack end quicker. It could be just me, but what I noticed is that I don't do so well during those boost session.
    Sorry it was so late, didn’t realize I had another reply. I have no idea where I rank, have never checked, lol. But I’ll take a look and maybe try this next time. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Icey!