Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Kik shutting down October 19th. What’s the plan for alternatives?

Kitty

Unhappy Alternatives for Kik

Hello

From 19 October the app Kik is no more. As many of us hay day players use Kik for just about everything, I am asking the forum if anyone knows of a alternative which can be used instead of.

Thank you in advance

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12
    Just to note: I merged two threads into one and edited the title slightly. Wanted to have a one-stop thread for all things kik and possible alternatives.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishwolfhoundlover43 View Post
    Hello

From 19 October the app Kik is no more. As many of us hay day players use Kik for just about everything, I am asking the forum if anyone knows of a alternative which can be used instead of.

Thank you in advance
    Here's an online article I found listing five IM alternatives to Kik. Good luck.
    https://9to5google.com/2019/09/24/ki...-alternatives/

BTW, I just learned that Kik received $50 million in funding from Tencent in 2015. As some of us may remember, Tencent acquired about 84% control of Supercell in 2016 and became Supercell's parent company.

---
    Lynn
    October 7, 2019
    Last edited by LynnK2015; October 7th, 2019 at 07:52 PM.
    What the hell?
    The L bunny is elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Yet many farms heard recently the toll of the bell.
    Thank you so much sweet Supercell.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...cussion-Thread

I just downloaded Telegram, as at least one hoodmate is very familiar with it. It seems quite simple, like kik. It does give you the ability to change the notification tone. And you can create groups, and change backgrounds.
    Level 160
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    Be kind. 🤗

Kik was not Monetized -- End was Inevitable

Kik was a great app, but let's face it, since they had no revenue streams it was bound to go bankrupt eventually. It wasn't fee-based or ad-based.

Kik decided to get sneaky and created Kin -- their own crypto currency. They did this solely to raise funds to keep Kik alive a bit longer. Now the FCC is on to their scheme. Kik chose to discontinue the Kik app and put any of their remaining funds to the legal battle where they hope to defend Kin as a true crypto currency rather than the funding scheme that it was.
    Last edited by alpha1243; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:11 PM.

Slack is working good for my hood atm.
    Farm level 154/ town 39.
    Leader of "Canadian Hood". (107 gold trophies!). Neighborhood tag #2j92yj88.
    To find out more about my hood, click here:
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-derby-players

Today news mentioned some company intends to buy kik for further development. Waiting for more info.....
    Last edited by meonhoc; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    Today news mentioned some company intend to buy kik for further development. Waiting for more info.....

What about good old fashioned Skype ? It doesn’t require a phone number, it’s completely anonymous and confidential and allows group chats as well as one to one messaging. You just need an email and you create your own user name.

It seems the most like kik to me - lots of the others will allow users to see your phone number (or require a number to register) and that’s a deal breaker for a lot of us.

it’s also free, but I think you might see ads now in the header but that doesn’t bother me overly as long as it’s free.
    Farm name: when doves cry
    level 173, town 65
    🌿🌿🌿🌿happy farming🌿🌿🌿🌿

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    Today news mentioned some company intends to buy kik for further development. Waiting for more info.....
    https://cryptoslate.com/kik-may-sell...service-alive/
    What the hell?
    The L bunny is elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Yet many farms heard recently the toll of the bell.
    Thank you so much sweet Supercell.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...cussion-Thread