Page 33 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1033

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Sunsetting Global Chat Channel in the October Update

  1. #321
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post

    We have a special team that handles policing exception issues like bomb threats, threats of shootings, threats of other violence - and we actually do investigate all of these if we feel the threat is credible, including contacting law enforcement or working with international enforcement agencies. And yes, we have been involved with police agencies interfering with credible threats that have resulted in prevention of violence. Many times.

    We also work with agencies when we feel there are threats of grooming, which is when someone tries to create an emotional bond through conversation with an end goal of sexual victimization. This is a big one.

    We get thousands of these tickets. And we investigate them all. The amount of resources required to investigate these is staggering, including the infrastructure to maintain logs, evidence, and credibility, working with international agencies, as well as working to adhere to multiple international standards.

    The number of support agents and specialists it takes to do this requires a massive staff of people and even then it's nearly impossible to cover all the ground necessary simply because these predators, scammers, trolls, etc. will always find new ways to try and circumvent these protections.

    It's always a game of cat and mouse and always will be. If it were that easy to police, there wouldn't be any illegal activity on the internet.

    Therefore, rather than spending all that money on a system that will always require constant improvement, it's better to simply remove that system and much more intelligently invest those resources into things that bear better fruit.

    This is not about "finding a better profanity filter" or "saving a quick buck".
    Difficult to argue with your data really - you have access to it, we donít (not a complaint btw). But did you consider creating some user monitors for global who could handle the bulk of the low end stuff, allowing for the team to concentrate on the truly serious issues that may require legal intervention?

  2. #322
    Centennial Club
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    france
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    None of our other games have a Global Chat channel; only Clash does. I'd say I trust our data.
    Hi. I think you should rapidly talk about "new recruitment / clan search" features (maybe you should have talk about them first).
    Because, from my point of view, your announce looks like "we can't handle the bad things happening in the global chat, so we remove it" ... leading people (like me) using the global chat for recruitment purposes to ... questions.

    since current "find a clan" is quite poor (nothing to guess clan's activity for example, at least global chat can give an idea of the personnality of the recruiter).
    and there is nothing to make your clan visible (apart global chat) except the 200 top clans (mostly populated by nolife toxic people in my country)

  3. #323
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Clash has hundreds of millions of players worldwide. Hundreds of millions. That would mean 1% alone would be in the millions of players. There aren't millions of players posting in Global, even considering how Global is broken up into regions (Norsk, etc.).
    Hundreds of millions of accounts. I wonder how many active players? That would be an interesting statistic after taking away all the inactive accounts and taking away the second, third, etc. accounts to figure out the number of active players. I know I account for 9 of the active accounts, posting on global on only one of them, maybe two. Anyway, I understand SC's decision, I just don't like it for me personally. Any recruiting that doesn't allow me to chat with the player or observe them chat before they get into my clan is not as good as the current method so for me it is likely to be a disappointment. The sky isn't falling like some claim, though, I don't have to like every decision to still love the game.

    I do wish SC had been more severe with global toxic players long ago. Say something racist? One week ban, next time instant ban. Ask if someone wants a free account? One week ban, next time instant ban.

    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. Click here for answer on how cc troops deploy (hint, it depends) and more info here. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

  4. #324
    Well done to Supercell for finally ridding us of the worst part of the game; Global!

    It was mostly populated my rude children, or attention seeking adults (particularly Norsk) that really did bring the worst out in people. I have seen causes on grooming by adults in Clash and it was sickeninig (it is not normal for adults to have video calls with young children). I am looking forward the new Recruitment Update!

  5. #325
    Pro Member higgsbosons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    under a rock
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post

    Like the forums and reddit, less than 1% of the player base used Global Chat. Unfortunately unlike the forums and reddit, Global Chat was 99% inane spam, scammers, and a lot of trolling.

    We have a special team that handles policing exception issues like bomb threats, threats of shootings, threats of other violence - and we actually do investigate all of these if we feel the threat is credible, including contacting law enforcement or working with international enforcement agencies. And yes, we have been involved with police agencies interfering with credible threats that have resulted in prevention of violence. Many times.

    We also work with agencies when we feel there are threats of grooming, which is when someone tries to create an emotional bond through conversation with an end goal of sexual victimization. This is a big one.

    We get thousands of these tickets. And we investigate them all. The amount of resources required to investigate these is staggering, including the infrastructure to maintain logs, evidence, and credibility, working with international agencies, as well as working to adhere to multiple international standards.

    The number of support agents and specialists it takes to do this requires a massive staff of people and even then it's nearly impossible to cover all the ground necessary simply because these predators, scammers, trolls, etc. will always find new ways to try and circumvent these protections.

    It's always a game of cat and mouse and always will be. If it were that easy to police, there wouldn't be any illegal activity on the internet.

    Therefore, rather than spending all that money on a system that will always require constant improvement, it's better to simply remove that system and much more intelligently invest those resources into things that bear better fruit.

    This is not about "finding a better profanity filter" or "saving a quick buck".
    None of this can be fixed with the removal of the global chat alone.

    Spammers, scammers, trolls all of them will be still in the game after the global chat shutdown.
    They will probably create their own clans and use the new recruitment tools to find their next victims.
    The problem here might be that there is probably nobody who will report them in their now closed clans,
    while in global chat you might have the chance to find helping hands.

    They may join clans more frequently than before and do what they did in global chat.

    Shutting down global does not solve any of those issues.
    Maybe it reduces the scope of the needed monitoring but the existing problems will only be shifted to somewhere else.
    Last edited by higgsbosons; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:11 PM.

  6. #326
    Trainee
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    India
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingDemonKnight View Post
    Shouldn't be removed at all if global wasn't here in the first place Clash of clans would be dead completely.
    Lol futuristic, how can you say that? I'm playing this game for around 3.5 yrs now and never used that useless global chat. My clan members also feel the same way about the removal of the global chat.

  7. #327
    Millennial Club PrincessKeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,282
    Other online platforms I'm on have a level between regular "player" and the "moderator". It is a player that has been recognized for their knowledge of the terms of service and a level of maturity to apply low-level moderation fairly. These "pre moderators" deal with the nonsense stuff and transfer the more legal/serious issues to the main moderators. They receive a minimal token payment of a few cents (I think around here gems would be a satisfactory substitute).

    Oh well, I guess it is too late for that. Hopefully, they do know something like that is available and working for many "known names" we deal with every day.
    Leader
    BORN TO WIN ec
    #L2YP89RU

    WAR serious GAMES serious CWL relaxed

  8. #328
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdog11 View Post
    If they ever added a private message feature, I think they would surely be smart enough to add an option to only allow PMs from people on your friends list or in your clan.
    Thanks, since i cant join clans, and never accept friend requests,I like this approach. That way people who want the feature can use it without hurting others

  9. #329
    Forum All-Star PaluEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Now retired
    Posts
    4,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam8771 View Post
    Lol futuristic, how can you say that? I'm playing this game for around 3.5 yrs now and never used that useless global chat. My clan members also feel the same way about the removal of the global chat.
    How would the analogy to BB (not allowed in this forum) fit in this quoted statement .
    The fact that a player does not use a feature, does not support the removal of that feature in an appropriate/logical way.

  10. #330
    Millennial Club Call me H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    KillerEliteUK, SniperEliteUK, VoodooEliteUK
    Posts
    1,040
    there are always two sides to every argument. I have been playing clash for 5 years and go on Norsk daily. Over the years you build friendships with players outside of your own clan. Those friendships are not about recruiting players, they are simply friendships and on global you have the opportunity to chat.

    Of cousre there are always people that push the boundaries (trolls) and cause grief and that is the part that needs to be fixed.

    Every threat is made as a comment and is assigned to a player, therefore ban them. As for grooming.. this comment is naive to say the least.. in my 5 years i have never seen grooming on global and do you really think some clever enough to groom will do this in an open global chat. there have been real life grooming on clash on a few occasions and i have read article on it. these have all been done in the secrecy of clans.

    but i suppose if you think about what SC call the elite players and clans, they dont go on global so it wont hurt the players they like to keep happy. the rest of us will just have to suck it up.

    I know many players that dont do the clan thing and they are nomads and use norsk to chat.. what are they going to do now..

    Perhaps it would be better for SC to say they have failed rather than attempt to use words like grooming as a reason.. insulting peoples intelligence there.

    As i said there are many trolls on global and they are a menace.. so i guess i get what SC are doing albeit i dont agree that global should be removed. if you remove this chat function it should be replaced with another form of chat function, perhaps between friends or clans...

    i emailed SC this morning and the response i got back referred to new plans for recruitment of players and i quote "like a reddit recruitment page".. when i questioned this, they quickly stopped talking.....




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •